WITE vs. WITP

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

TulliusDetritus

RE: WITE vs. WITP

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

Also I like to play with boats rather than deal with walls of Soviet rifle divisions.

I love the Rifle divisions. You have sooo many [:D] You can really simulate what the Soviets did. Front armies AND several STRATEGIC RESERVES behind the front [8D] Ready to massacre your opponent [:D]

Not to mention the Tank Armies, Mechanised Corps... the Guards/Shock rifle divisions / armies...
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Come on guys, YOU know you WANT it, stop fooling yourselves with "I love little boats" speak.... come over to the DARK SIDE (commies, nazis etc) [:D]

Panzer Divisions! Mechanised Corps! Hell yeah 

Now seriously, I don't understand how any wargamer can be NOT interested in biggest land campaign in history. I am completely different in that department, IF the game is good, I can be interested in ANY campaign that ever happened. In fact I got interested in Solomons' Campaign thanks to Uncommon Valor, prior to that game I thought it was utterly pointless campaign for both sides involved. (Which it probably was, but the game about it was SO GOOD and the rest is history.)
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'm interested in every campaign in WWII, but from a gaming standpoint I'm most interesed in the Pacific. WitP:AE takes all of my gaming time, so I won't be buying WITE, at least for a long, long, long time.

I've purchased three games since 2002: UV, WITP, and WITP:AE.

However, I am glad to see good hex-based games still being developed.

The only other game that held my interest was Advanced Third Reich - a sweeping strategic game that in a way reminds me of AE. They are entirely different animals from a complexity and scope standpoint, but both offer a vast strategic options.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: invernomuto
ORIGINAL: Puhis
IMO WitP is more of a PBEM game, while WitE is an AI game.

Could you please explain? Isn't WITE good in PBEM?
Thanks.
ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I would say it's the other way around [&:] WitE: 222 turns the whole campaign: I did start a PBEM. But I always avoided a WitP PBEM (2, 3 years to finish?).
ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

I strongly disagree. WITE will be, or it already is, the best PBEM game in current Matrix catalog in my opinion.

What I meant was that so far WitE AI have beated me every time, so I don't need human opponent... [:D]

I can't imagine myself playing WitP AE AI games anymore. I started one game vs. allied AI, but I ended it 8/42 because nothing have happened and lost interest. WitP really needs human opponent.

I'm sure War in the East is a great PBEM game, at the moment it's not PBEM game for me. [:)]
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Puhis

What I meant was that so far WitE AI have beated me every time, so I don't need human opponent... [:D]

Well, the game is just one month old, so you (and I) are not used to it yet, that's why the AI trashes you [:D] But us humans learn quickly: you will pretty soon beat the AI [:(] And the German AI is not that good (the Soviet is). I would have loved a WitP PBEM, but that was a huge commitment, er like getting married. WitE PBEM is like having a GF [:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zemke

Post by Zemke »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

WitE looks like a beautiful, well-designed game that will do very, very well.

I doubt it will have the legs that WitP:AE has, though. A two dimensional (land/air) campaign just doesn't have the grip that a three deminsional (land/air/se) camapaign has.

Frankly, I'm surprised that WitE, a new game, only has a 3:2 lead on AE, which has been out for 1.5 years. In two years, I'll bet you AE will have a 3:1 lead over WitE.

I own and play both WitP:AE and the new WitE. As a wargamer, I cut my teeth on Eastern Front Operational games, bottom line, I love Eastern Front games.....BUT, WitP:AE is the best wargame ever made (IMO) because it is so immersive, I simple love it. Before WiTP came out, I never liked or cared about the Pacific Theater, and it took a friend several months of bagering me to try it, before I did. WitE looks good, is easier to get started, and in general is the best of it's kind.....but it does not have the immersion factors that WitP:AE has. There is no prodution management, no pilot management, and is pretty much land only, as the air model is questionable from reading the forums, (I never bother with the air in WitE). Now if the WitE system grows into a WiE (War in Europe), where there is production, naval, and a better air model, then it could have very long legs, but just comparing the two in the longevity department, I agree with Canoerebel, WitP:AE will out last WitE.
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

You need to care somehow, it being big in itself isn't so interesting.

How many people are begging for a game about the War of the Triple Alliance? [&:]
TulliusDetritus

How many people are begging for a game about the War of the Triple Alliance? [&:]

Hahaha, I didn't know this War of the Triple Alliance (Wikipedia was helpful). I guess that we (along with Churchill & Roosevelt) all agree: Germany First. Given that Germany was basically fought in the East (only 2 German divisions in North Africa), well, I guess that makes this front the MOST important front of WW2 (a front in which brutal battles, combats NEVER stopped since day one of the invasion). So to compare it with the [possibly] absurd War of the Triple Alliance is rather kafkaesque [:D] You are indeed correct though: you have to be interested about this massive and decisive conflict.
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
So to compare it with the [possibly] absurd War of the Triple Alliance is rather kafkaesque [:D] You are indeed correct though: you have to be interested about this massive and decisive conflict.

I would hazard that if you happened to be in South America the War of the Triple Alliance probably was more influential overall. [:'(] Kinda like how the American Civil War was an irrelevance to me personally but it was very important to the United States.

Thing about the Eastern Front that gets me is the same sort of thing that people who arent interested in WW1 complain about. You have a billion men on one side, and a billion men on the other side, lined up in huge, dense lines, and they go it hard for a few years.

I just look at the WITE maps of masses and masses of counters all stacked up opposing each other at the front and think... ugh. It's just too dense. A massive, immobile mire. WITP doesn't really have that, except in China, which is the bit people tend not to like. [:'(]
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I am not begging for it but would certainly play it if it's well done!

In fact, when I bought Paradox Victoria 2 one of the first things I did was to pick Paraguay - Vic 2 being one of the rare games that give you option of playing all sorts of obcscure small countries - and try my hand at fighting ALL of my neighbors.

I failed super-miserably [:D]
TulliusDetritus

A WW1 game seems indeed boring: you know you will not break your opponent's front. But in WitE, just think about Barbarossa or how the Germans were finally stuffed in Ukraine or Operation Bagration [;)] So not really an immobile mire... er more like the Soviet Steamroller [8D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Isn't that the one where, after the war, polygamy was mandatory in Paraguay because they lost >90% of their male population?
berto

Post by berto »

... masses and masses of counters all stacked up opposing each other at the front and think... ugh. It's just too dense...
+1
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: berto

... masses and masses of counters all stacked up opposing each other at the front and think... ugh. It's just too dense...
+1

Less dense than having two divisions fight over Johnston Atoll or Nauru island [;)]
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

80% of those masses of counters are basically empty shells. Check my AAR over in the WITE forum and look at the AI defense lines. Won't find any masses like that. It happens, but not always. Just tap a stack like that and they blow away.

The AI is really good as the Russians. Really good. It will pull back if it feels threatened.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

ORIGINAL: berto

+1

Less dense than having two divisions fight over Johnston Atoll or Nauru island [;)]

Agreed.

And WitE isn't even dense. The max stack limit is 3 units, and most of the front is covered by one unit per hex. I've seen more units in the average Panzer Campaigns title. Trust me, it's ALOT easier to do a GC turn in WitE than in Panzer Campaigns.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
And WitE isn't even dense. The max stack limit is 3 units, and most of the front is covered by one unit per hex. I've seen more units in the average Panzer Campaigns title. Trust me, it's ALOT easier to do a GC turn in WitE than in Panzer Campaigns.

I was positively shocked by the manageablity in WITE. It's actually nowehere near monsterish to manage as WITP even though you are commanding far bigger number of troops and units than WITP.

Some players don't like it, but in my opinion, usage and management of support units (anything smaller than a division, basically) is nothing short of pure genius.
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

80% of those masses of counters are basically empty shells. Check my AAR over in the WITE forum and look at the AI defense lines. Won't find any masses like that. It happens, but not always. Just tap a stack like that and they blow away.

The AI is really good as the Russians. Really good. It will pull back if it feels threatened.

Lots of HQs and Air Bases counters, right. In WitE there are no airfields but Air Bases [counters]. You have to remember that there is a huge geographic thing in Europe: The European Plain, from SW France to the Urals, so you only need clear or light woods hexes and the Air Bases counters (you can attach a maximum of nine air units) will magically launch planes. This IS 100% historical by the way.

But there are still MASSES of soldiers [8D] If my PBEM Axis opponent could see the many rifle / cavalry / tank / motorised / mountain divisions and rifle and naval brigades I've got, he would surrender. The poor thing is heading to Moscow, and he is rather confident from what he is saying on the emails [:D] Oh well, just like the Germans did: "we have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down..." Hitler dixit. Hahaha! NOSTRADAMUS!
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Tullius, I don't understand the meaning of the two photographs of Stalin in your sig. Can you explain it please? Thanks!
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
TulliusDetritus

Sure [:)]

The pic of the left is the original. Then you can see that on the pic of the right one guy has disappeared [:D] It's Comissar Yezhov. He was purged... Then they did this aberrant trick: they erased him from the photo. Pure Stalinism. The guy was physically "terminated" but that was not enough, he had to disappear from history BOOKS. This was a classic and aberrant Stalinist trick: notably Trotsky was erased from many photos [8D]

By the way, that comissar was a big bast*rd... he was a NKVD big boss and thus was involved in Stalinist purges. But then one day Uncle Joe decided the guy had to be purged as well. Which was done...

Lubyanka was the KGB (Cheka, GPU) HQ in Moscow. There was an infamous prison as well.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”