Where to get scenarios ?

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
Jorm

Where to get scenarios ?

Post by Jorm »

Hi all,

please excuse a newbie question.

I have played previous versions of harpoon 2 and 3 and am planning to get this game for the new years break to play.

There seem to be a number of sites containing player databases and scenarios that seem to require specific versions of the game or database, its a rather bewildering and almost a daunting prospect trying to get my weeny brain about it all.

Is there a simple FAQ that can assist me in letting me know where to get user made scenarios and what database i need to play them, and indeed is it easy to swap simply between the multiple databases it seems i may need ?.

I recall there were some excellent scenarios divided into time periods ( WWII. cold war , time of missiles etc)which i would like to give a bash but i dont want to purchase this new version of the game only to find it doesnt work with these scenarios.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had a look through the many FAQ's available but they all leap into the deep end, use multiple acronymns and dont give really me this sort of basic info im after.

cheers
J
JRyan

RE: Where to get scenarios ?

Post by JRyan »

There seem to be a number of sites containing player databases and scenarios that seem to require specific versions of the game or database, its a rather bewildering and almost a daunting prospect trying to get my weeny brain about it all.

No worries - I also agree it can sometimes be confusing....

There are plenty to keep you busy with the shipped game but here would be the places I would recommend first,

TAITENNEK'S HARPOON PAGES These are the latest for Harpoon ANW ver 3.10, Both with ANW and HUD 3 Databases.

harpgamer.com
This has both Harpoon 3 and Harpoon Classic scenarios.

And since you are getting the Harpoon UE, then the DB2000 is always a must (Note: Use ver 3.63 of harpoon 3 (ships with it :)) to run these...

DB2000 Links

I hope this helps..

Edit and since most previous versions of Harpoon ship with the Ultimate Edition, you will be able to play these old scenarios also...
But By Grace Go I.......
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

ah many thanks, the DB2000 link page was the one i was thinking of from previous memories of harpoon admirals edition.
cheers

What scenarios are in this version of the game beyond those i would have already played in harpoon AE , harpoon 3 and the other versions of harpoon 2/3 ? IE ive pretty much played all the original ones a few times ?.

Ive no real interest in harpoon CE, just what seems to be Harpoon ANW.

cheers

J
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Jorm

Hi all,

I have played previous versions of harpoon 2 and 3 and am planning to get this game for the new years break to play.

Is there a simple FAQ that can assist me in letting me know where to get user made scenarios and what database i need to play them, and indeed is it easy to swap simply between the multiple databases it seems i may need ?.

I recall there were some excellent scenarios divided into time periods ( WWII. cold war , time of missiles etc)which i would like to give a bash but i dont want to purchase this new version of the game only to find it doesnt work with these scenarios.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had a look through the many FAQ's available but they all leap into the deep end, use multiple acronymns and dont give really me this sort of basic info im after.

cheers
J

G'day Jorm,

Good to see another Melbournian on the forum. [:)]

You're right about the multiple versions etc and even if I'm part of the Dev team, I'll admit it must be slightly daunting to have to match versions with databases and scenarios. That being said there's a reason for it.

With every new release/patch we undertake, the game's internal structure changes. In some cases this relates to the database fields available for editing or changes to what they represent. When this happens DB Editors like myself need to adjust the database and in most cases update the scenarios to some degree.

Although you've played all the original scenarios, without "blowing my own trumpet", the HUD3 DB has the originals with some added bonuses. I've attempted to update them to the current game Engine, make them correct chronologically (deleted platform not in service at the date of the scenario) and added missing platforms, where the original designer may have substituted the correct platform that was missing from the Harpoon 2 database with a close match. Most have been modified in some way or other and many have been expanded, more platforms etc and adjusted missions. These will be released for the current 3.10 version over the coming days/weeks and from the limited feedback I've received, most players have appreciated the updates.

Once I release these scenarios, the HUD3 scenarios and Database will basically be the only "Official" DB that, includes all of the current 3.10 capabilities, it is also a database that uses the latest Harpoon Miniatures data, direct from Larry Bond. I have even started including new mission parameters that, make the AI more aggressive and let's say "smarter". I've even gone as far as developing my own original parameters that will be made available for players to download and include in their copy of the game. I have been working on developing my own scenarios and some are approaching what I consider completed.

If you have any further queries don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Darren
Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

I've often wondered how many 'Melbournians' frequent Matrix?
It is great to read that many of the scenarios here are authored by Aussies.
Harpooner

Post by Harpooner »

ORIGINAL: Jorm

Hi all,

cheers
J

Dear Jorm,

There is a FAQ that I know about:

http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Frequ ... stions.htm

Harplonkhq is a pretty good site for information and data you want. I know they update their datbase---they call it PlayerDB---every so often, and they get all kinds of scenarios just as regularly. Here's some info about it:

All H2AE scenarios were re-built and repaired for the PlayersDB. Choose the version you wish to run:

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Hope this helps! Wish you the best for the new year!

[:)][:)][:)]

From Harpooner
He who never tries...never fails.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ORIGINAL: Harpooner

[...]

Dear Jorm,

Harplonkhq is a pretty good site for information and data you want. I know they update their datbase---they call it PlayerDB---every so often, and they get all kinds of scenarios just as regularly. Here's some info about it:

All H2AE scenarios were re-built and repaired for the PlayersDB. Choose the version you wish to run:

From Harpooner

Maybe time for a new fake identity? This one´s too obvious, really....

tm.asp?m=2536148&mpage=4&key=
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

I've often wondered how many 'Melbournians' frequent Matrix?
It is great to read that many of the scenarios here are authored by Aussies.

Thanks Agent S,

I've seen plenty of Aussies in general, first time I'd noticed the Best Australian city being featured. [;)]

Matrix might just be where all the Wargamers ended up when the "Physical" wargaming shops died out. Good to see we "punch above our weight" here as well I suspect.

Cheers

Darren

Jorm

Post by Jorm »

Theres a bunch of us Melbournites that play WITP:AE , we've even caught up for drinks a few times over the years
Harpooner

Post by Harpooner »

ORIGINAL: koelbach

ORIGINAL: Harpooner

[...]

Dear Jorm,

From Harpooner

Maybe time for a new fake identity? This one´s too obvious, really....

tm.asp?m=2536148&mpage=4&key=

"Fake Identity"??
What fake Identity?
I signed in as Harpooner, and answered a question presented by Jorm. He wanted info about FAQ and I was able to respond. Am I wrong in doing that?? If there is falsehood, show me where it lies.
Are you the Administrator of this site? What are the policies in answering questions of that nature? What thing have I done that is frorbidden at this site? Is it sharing information about other sites? If so please tell me!
He who never tries...never fails.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

"Fake Identity"?? What fake Identity?
I signed in as Harpooner, and answered a question presented by Jorm. He wanted info about FAQ and I was able to respond. Am I wrong in doing that?? If there is falsehood, show me where it lies.
Are you the Administrator of this site? What are the policies in answering questions of that nature? What thing have I done that is frorbidden at this site? Is it sharing information about other sites? If so please tell me!

I don't want to get involved in this CRAP, but I can not help myself.

I will state this publicly,I have been involved in Harpoon in one fashion or another for years. In 2008, for the most part I left the scene. Even my wife was laughing at what was going on.

Its been 2 years and I come back and IT is still here.

For the sake of sanity and sake of the Sim we ALL love, ENOUGH ALREADY.

Do you not have anything to do but drive a nail in the Harpoon community? Y'all accomplish NOTHING but showing your arse in a public format.

For those reading this who don't know about what is going on, count your blessings. I have been doing some reading on the creation of Harpoon and the community which formed around it. In the early days it WAS the war game to be involved in, heck I have not heard the word CompuServe for years now. Harpoon was a Sim, but it also was a phenomenon. Do you have a copy of the Harpoon BattleBook? Read the intro. This WAS the standard.Now, I am afraid it is clouded, but so are many other games.It has been really neat to read about its development etc again. It is sad that it has come to this. It actually would make a great book including the bad parts, a soap opera of the game scene. In no time in the years until the PDB did this EVER happen before. If you do not believe me, fine. Do you research and form your own conclusions.

So I will ask, no make that PLEAD, stop with the promotion of sites that have 'questionable' motives. I have talked with a few of you over the years, and I had no ill feelings for the most part. Until it got childish, I would think you would want to promote the Sim and be constructive. This is no longer the case.

I have been GONE 2 years and still it smells.

Now I will address this to a certain person that played a MP game online with H3. I know you and you know me. Please stop, get your group to stop, chill, wait some time, play the sim, contribute and 'maybe' things can be repaired or at least calmed some.

I have had the PDB before and played some scens etc, even one MP (see above). I tried it.

I will no longer even consider downloading it.

If certain individuals want to know WHY? PM me. I will be glad to explain it. Especially HH.

Disclaimer: I am not paid nor affiliated with ASGI, Matrix, or anything else. I am a Harpooner at heart, and therefore I have a stake in this, but it is not a monetary one.

But By Grace Go I.......
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Harpooner, in the Harpoon world what you posted (anything Herman Hum and/or PlayersDB related) is looked on by many with disdain equal to spam.

Herman is banned here so his followers post his materials on his behalf. That gains people like you a reputation of being a pawn of Herman's (knowingly or unwittingly, the difference doesn't matter to most who just want him to go away). It is also what led koehlbach to think that you may be Herman himself in disguise (again most just want him and his materials to go away, no matter how they arrive).

This is an open forum, you can post HH's advertising here like you have done but the hope is that over time you'll realize he's using you to further break down the Harpoon community rather than build it up.

Mike, I believe now is when you pour on that HHQ magic (you guys are masters, Herman really should have taken a class on influencing people from you).
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Magpius

DB Update....but?

Post by Magpius »

[font="microsoft sans serif"]Noob question for Bucks.
I downloaded your
[/font][font="microsoft sans serif"](HUD3 FOR HARPOON ANW 3.10[/font][font="tahoma"][font="microsoft sans serif"] NOV 8TH, 2010) how do I now get my now obsolete scenarios to run with the update?
Is there a simple way to do this?
thanks.
[/font]
[/font]
Bucks

RE: DB Update....but?

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

[font="microsoft sans serif"]Noob question for Bucks.
I downloaded your
[/font][font="microsoft sans serif"](HUD3 FOR HARPOON ANW 3.10[/font][font="tahoma"][font="microsoft sans serif"] NOV 8TH, 2010) how do I now get my now obsolete scenarios to run with the update?
Is there a simple way to do this?
thanks.
[/font]
[/font]

Agent S,

I think you're lucky I'm still talking to you... Collingwood supporter me???!!!! [&:]

Ok let's wade through the process of "Rebuilding" older scenarios and some of the points to be aware of.

1. To use the current/previous versions of the HUD series of databases, you'll need to make sure they were designed using the ODB (Original standard Harpoon database) or the HUD. So all the original Harpoon 2 scenarios will work, the scenarios from Dr Who's website will in the most part as well.

2. Open the database folder contain the HUD3 and then the Scenarios folder.

Example:
========
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare\Databases\HUD3\SCENARIOS\

You might want to create a new folder named something like "Legacy Scenarios" and place all the old scens you intend to rebuild in it

C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare\Databases\HUD3\SCENARIOS\Legacy Scenarios\

Legacy_Scen-001.SCN
Legacy_Scen-002.SCN

3. Open the Launcher and make sure you select the HUD3 as the current database as well as changing the game executable to Harpoon3ScenarioEditor.exe. Then click the Run tab.

4 The Scenario Editor allows for "Rebuilding" scenarios to the current Database version. So it's possible to open a Harpoon 2 scenario from 1996 for example and update the platforms in the relevant scenario to the current Database version's values.

5. The key to using the rebuild feature is the degree of database "index" continuity exercised by the Database Editor. Every platform, in fact every entry in the Database has an index value and these values are saved within a Scenario file. If Ship #50 is the F 88 Broadsword [Type 22/1] in the HUD3, then if another Editor has say the DDG 79 Oscar Austin [Burke IIA] using the #50 slot in his database, your Falklands Task Force just received an inadvertent "Upgrade".

5a. I have made an adjustment to the Facility Index in the HUD3. So there's been a swap of several platforms (Six (6) in all). I undertook this to help designers to use correct facilities when constructing Bases. You may find a Comm Centre becoming a SA-12 site or an SA-12 site becoming a Comm Centre or a set of Diesel Fuel Tanks. I have been repairing this in the Scenarios that should be released shortly.

6. With Scenedit open, you should notice an extra Menu option, "Edit". This allows for commands related to both Scenario design and Rebuild options. Open a scenario always using the File -> Open command or select via the Open Dialogue when Scenedit first opens. Do Not use "Load Battleset" option as this opens the scenario as if you're going to play it, not edit it.

7. Once you have the Scenario open, You can perform a basic Rebuild by selecting
a> Edit -> Rebuild Scenario -> Rebuild All Units.
b> Edit -> Rebuild Scenario -> Rebuild All Unit Magazines.

Unless you know the scenario is Logistics capable and the Airbase/Carriers etc have weapons loaded in their Magazines, this is the fastest method of updating a Scenario to the current Database version you're using. However you will not be able to use the Enforce Air Logistics option.

I'll post a step by step explanation of Logistics capability and Scenario rebuilds as a separate thread. I think mastering the basic rebuild and subsequent editing first will make taking the next step a little easier.

Of course that may be as "clear as mud" so feel free to fire back with any queries. I'm happy to start uploading some screen captures and notate them to help speed up the process. I'm also trying to allow people to avoid this by undertaking all the editing headaches out of the Player's hands.

I hope the explanation helps.

Darren

noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

ORIGINAL: JRyan
"Fake Identity"?? What fake Identity?

I don't want to get involved in this CRAP, but I can not help myself.

I will state this publicly,I have been involved in Harpoon in one fashion or another for years. In 2008, for the most part I left the scene. Even my wife was laughing at what was going on.

Its been 2 years and I come back and IT is still here.

For the sake of sanity and sake of the Sim we ALL love, ENOUGH ALREADY.

Do you not have anything to do but drive a nail in the Harpoon community? Y'all accomplish NOTHING but showing your arse in a public format.

For those reading this who don't know about what is going on, count your blessings. I have been doing some reading on the creation of Harpoon and the community which formed around it. In the early days it WAS the war game to be involved in, heck I have not heard the word CompuServe for years now. Harpoon was a Sim, but it also was a phenomenon. Do you have a copy of the Harpoon BattleBook? Read the intro. This WAS the standard.Now, I am afraid it is clouded, but so are many other games.It has been really neat to read about its development etc again. It is sad that it has come to this. It actually would make a great book including the bad parts, a soap opera of the game scene. In no time in the years until the PDB did this EVER happen before. If you do not believe me, fine. Do you research and form your own conclusions.

So I will ask, no make that PLEAD, stop with the promotion of sites that have 'questionable' motives. I have talked with a few of you over the years, and I had no ill feelings for the most part. Until it got childish, I would think you would want to promote the Sim and be constructive. This is no longer the case.

I have been GONE 2 years and still it smells.

Now I will address this to a certain person that played a MP game online with H3. I know you and you know me. Please stop, get your group to stop, chill, wait some time, play the sim, contribute and 'maybe' things can be repaired or at least calmed some.

I have had the PDB before and played some scens etc, even one MP (see above). I tried it.

I will no longer even consider downloading it.

If certain individuals want to know WHY? PM me. I will be glad to explain it. Especially HH.

Disclaimer: I am not paid nor affiliated with ASGI, Matrix, or anything else. I am a Harpooner at heart, and therefore I have a stake in this, but it is not a monetary one.

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Harpooner, in the Harpoon world what you posted (anything Herman Hum and/or PlayersDB related) is looked on by many with disdain equal to spam.

Herman is banned here so his followers post his materials on his behalf. That gains people like you a reputation of being a pawn of Herman's (knowingly or unwittingly, the difference doesn't matter to most who just want him to go away). It is also what led koehlbach to think that you may be Herman himself in disguise (again most just want him and his materials to go away, no matter how they arrive).

This is an open forum, you can post HH's advertising here like you have done but the hope is that over time you'll realize he's using you to further break down the Harpoon community rather than build it up.

Mike, I believe now is when you pour on that HHQ magic (you guys are masters, Herman really should have taken a class on influencing people from you).

Have to agree with what has been said here. I've played harpoon since it was available on the Amiga and floppy disk decades ago, I then found 3.6 for the PC and eventually Matrix released ANW and now the Ultimate Edition. I was a long time lurker in what was a fairly active community, supported by numerous websites, but which has pretty much died, because of this sort of crap.

The PDB might have been a great idea and there is nothing wrong with contributing, in fact it should be encouraged, but the drama and disagreements that it and it's creator caused, meant it was far more destructive, than productive and any positives, were far out-weighed by the problems and the attitude of its creators.

By all means, produce your own scenarios, database and website, but there is no need to lampoon or ridicule others who are also contributing with the name of your website, or to cause dozens of other problems that lead to arguments and disagreements that ended up dividing the community and discouraging many others, who had once been active contributors.

Perhaps most importantly, don't then constantly seek to advertise or promote the very thing that helped kill off what was once a much more active community and expect to receive a good response, as it is only going to create even more drama and further discourage those who have tolerated this crap, yet continue to persist, hoping things might actually one day improve.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Tell you what, I have been looking around and HH this is for YOU. You will do what you can to hurt this sim. I want those who do not know what you have done, but can see what you are STILL doing. This is sick. You need help.

This ..... goes around looking for press releases and post the SAME info.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51423

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3164423.html

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176769

http://www.gamezplay.org/2010/11/larry-bonds-harpoon-ultimate-edition.html

http://www.gamesforum.ca/showthread.php?t=521250

Is this what you do for something you supposedly are passionate about? Its a lie. Your actions speak for you.

I have been playing HUE (both games, and actually some of the older HC ones for giggles) and I have had 2 issues. Both have been posted here and you know what? Both were able to be continued from saved games. Let's see, over 10+ games played and 2 crashes. One of these crashes I FIRMLY believe was my 5 year old computer. I am not having issues with the release.

I am enjoying it. Money well spent.

Oh but I see the name Herman Humm pop up everywhere just doing what he can to degrade the Sim.

Fine, if it sucks so bad, stop playing it or are you not the brightest plum on the tree? Gee it is a no brainer.

Folks, follow the links and look at what this man is doing. As you can see he really cares about it.

One thing I will grant you Herman, you have obtained Harpoon immortality for sure...

But By Grace Go I.......
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

Gents,

I'm not getting involved, I'm never going to that level again. People can judge me for who and what I am. If Harpoon wishes to survive, it's going to take a cooperative effort and an Adult attitude. The adult remark isn't aimed at anyone, it's a basic fact of the matter.

Here's my view, let's forget these outbursts please. I acknowledge I have been guilty of them, and it's a stupid response to these type of issues. This Thread started with a query about where to get Scenarios. Then we've touched on how to rebuild legacy Scens. In between we've indulged in pretending to be children.

So please don't turn Forum threads into something that, someone took to with a shotgun... It's a lot of effort to try to explain things here, and then it's in "delay" and now I feel like my message for what it's worth, in explaining a complex gaming system is lost in the crossfire. If Matrix want to put up with it, fine... Someone start a Defined Thread where everyone to go and flame each other. If we contain it, maybe we have a hope. Otherwise NOBODY will ever feel like asking a question without feeling like they've thrown a gallon of fuel on a birthday candle.

Darren's thought for the day...

Cheers

JRyan

Post by JRyan »

I am sorry...just frustrated beyond belief....

Please forgive my rant.

Back to the thread and scenarios.....

You know, maybe one of these days I can do one that is worth a hoot.

Darrin, I would like you PM you a request if possible. It was my favorite invention. I will PM you with details, but I don't think you can add it as it is 'vapornauctics'.

But By Grace Go I.......
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Bucks,
A thorough and quick response.
Thank you.
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

Reply sent, yes I can salvage the platform although you'll have to be happy to have a [#] parked after the name. In the HUD3 all hypothetical Platforms carry the [#] symbol to denote they are just that, hypothetical.

Larry Bond and Chris Carlson now carry such entries in the Official Harpoon Data Annexes so the HUD3 has "opened" up to the idea a little.

I've said this before and will simply point it out again. The HUD - Harpoon Users' Database is open to platform requests/inclusions and although there may be a time lag as I add and test them, if people have ideas let me know and they'll get added to the, "to do" list.

Cheers

Darren

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”