Cutting off Leningrad

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Q-Ball

Cutting off Leningrad

Post by Q-Ball »

This is my first try at a full scenario, playing GC, turn 14.

See attached map; some questions and comments.

FIRST, is Leningrad isolated? Or do I need to clear the Svir River next turn in order to make sure? The Russians do not seem to have a supplied port on Ladoga, but making sure...not sure how a frozen Ladoga works.

It seems to me the only way to successfully isolate Leningrad is to send the bulk of Pz Grp 4 to the south of Lake Ilmen, then swing north. The AI will fortify the Volkhov north of the lake, and there are too many swamps there, so slugging your way across the Volkhov seems like folly.

The terrain northeast of Lake Ilmen isn't exactly open steppe, but there is enough clear space to find a path for the Panzers, if it's not heavily defended.

Is my assessment correct?

I also think isolating Leningrad is near impossible vs. a human, though I guess we'll find out. But only a handful of Rifle Div in the swamps south of Lake Ladoga would have been sufficient to stop me.

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (156.7 KiB) Viewed 64 times
CarnageINC

RE: Cutting off Leningrad

Post by CarnageINC »

Nope, I believe, even though you have isolated the 2 other ports that Leningrad will still receive supplies.  If so its a wacky game mechanic that needs to be fixed.  Every thing I've read on the subject has stated that all three ports have to be occupied. [&:]
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

Nope, I believe, even though you have isolated the 2 other ports that Leningrad will still receive supplies.  If so its a wacky game mechanic that needs to be fixed.  Every thing I've read on the subject has stated that all three ports have to be occupied. [&:]

Or isolated.

Make contact with the Finns anywhere along that line and everyone is isolated.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Cool, so all you need to do is isolate those 3 ports and you get Leningrad isolated to, Hell, that makes it a lot easier goal IMO.
CharonJr

Post by CharonJr »

I hope so, since linking up with the Finns is what I will try in my AAR. But I am not sure if Leningrad can still be supplied by sea unless you cleared the area around Tallin as well.

CharonJr
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

This is my first try at a full scenario, playing GC, turn 14.

See attached map; some questions and comments.

FIRST, is Leningrad isolated? Or do I need to clear the Svir River next turn in order to make sure? The Russians do not seem to have a supplied port on Ladoga, but making sure...not sure how a frozen Ladoga works.

It seems to me the only way to successfully isolate Leningrad is to send the bulk of Pz Grp 4 to the south of Lake Ilmen, then swing north. The AI will fortify the Volkhov north of the lake, and there are too many swamps there, so slugging your way across the Volkhov seems like folly.

The terrain northeast of Lake Ilmen isn't exactly open steppe, but there is enough clear space to find a path for the Panzers, if it's not heavily defended.

Is my assessment correct?

I also think isolating Leningrad is near impossible vs. a human, though I guess we'll find out. But only a handful of Rifle Div in the swamps south of Lake Ladoga would have been sufficient to stop me.

I think that there is one last port to take, right next to your spearhead if I remember well.
Pford

Post by Pford »

I tried the Right Hook, but evidently insufficiently wide as the panzers ended up in the swampy terrain east of the Volkhov river. Completely nerfed. Lots of 'Held' results after this until time expired, with a Marginal Victory.

Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (340.46 KiB) Viewed 63 times
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Wow that's a lot of Russians!  Makes me think differently about my own RtL game ongoing.  Now I'm scared.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
sztomcat

Post by sztomcat »

You can see my successful cutting off at tm.asp?m=2660227&mpage=1&key=&#2679257
Pford

Post by Pford »

ORIGINAL: sztomcat

You can see my successful cutting off at tm.asp?m=2660227&mpage=1&key=�

Wise guy. [;)]