Motherships?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Puzzlemaker

Motherships?

Post by Puzzlemaker »

So I want to make a mothership.

After thinking about it for awhile, I decided I needed to know more information. First of all, I want the mothership to participate in combat. Secondly, I wanted it to repair ships.

Now, the main questions.

Can the AI handle refueling ships being part of a fleet and part of combat, if it's set on auto?

Can refueling ships repair ships docked to it, assuming it has the right components?

Can you have non-refueling ships have docking bays, and have ships dock to it? If so, can you have them do repairs on ships docked on them? Can you have them refuel ships, if they have fuel in their cargo bay?

Are there any other things I need to know about basically making a mobile base?

I can't stick hyperdrives on stations, can I?
elanaahova

RE: Motherships?

Post by elanaahova »

Puzzlemaker - I've been playing for four days, so I can't answer most of your questions. Your last comnment, however, about designing a 'station' with a hyperdrive (warp engine) is: no. I tried it, and it won't let me leave the design screen, as a 'red' item remains in the top 'warning' window.
"Banging rocks together... thats the ticket to a better tomorrow."
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Puzzlemaker

So I want to make a mothership.

After thinking about it for awhile, I decided I needed to know more information. First of all, I want the mothership to participate in combat. Secondly, I wanted it to repair ships.

Now, the main questions.

Can the AI handle refueling ships being part of a fleet and part of combat, if it's set on auto?

Can refueling ships repair ships docked to it, assuming it has the right components?

Can you have non-refueling ships have docking bays, and have ships dock to it? If so, can you have them do repairs on ships docked on them? Can you have them refuel ships, if they have fuel in their cargo bay?

Are there any other things I need to know about basically making a mobile base?

I can't stick hyperdrives on stations, can I?
Hello Puzzlemaker, I'll try to help.
-- Can the AI handle refueling ships being part of a fleet and part of combat, if it's set on auto?
Yes, as long as the vessel is designated as a "Resupplyship" with the correct components on it.
-- Can refueling ships repair ships docked to it, assuming it has the right components?
I believe the answer to this is no. As far as i know, the constructorship is the only vessel
that is mobile which can repair other ships one at a time.
-- Can you have non-refueling ships have docking bays, and have ships dock to it?
Only if the vessel in question has a commerce component on it would other ships have a reason
to dock with it, but it would not have a purpose.
-- Are there any other things I need to know about basically making a mobile base?
In my opinion, the closest thing to a mobile base is the Resupplyship. Base (Spaceport)
designs cannot contain engines.
Hope I've shed some light on this for you. [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Puzzlemaker

Post by Puzzlemaker »

Thanks mate, you have.  I'll try to experiment with it later, see if I can get a couple of designs down.

I hope there is a patch/expansion that adds more capabilities for cross-ship components.  Heck, playing as a completely nomadic empire would be pretty awesome.

Return to “The War Room”