1:1 time possible?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

HintJ

1:1 time possible?

Post by HintJ »

I apologize if this question has already been raised, but the search function is not very helpful lately. . .

I've been messing around w/the demo, and I had hoped for the slowest game speed to be 1 second = 1 second, because I'd prefer this to actually pausing the game.

For example, let's say I have a day off from work for some relaxing, I'd like to start a game at 6AM both in-game and in real life. play the game for a 1/2 hour or so, let it continue to run while I do other things, come back some time after lunch maybe and play another 1/2 hour, come back for another 1/2 hour after supper, let the game run overnite, and then check on it the next morning. Sounds interesting to me. Is the anyway to edit some data in the game to allow for 1:1 time?
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
MarkShot

RE: 1:1 time possible?

Post by MarkShot »

A 1:1 simulation rate is not an option or something you can mod.

In fact, the ratio of clock time to simulated time varies based on your processor and the current dynamic complexity of the scenario you are playing.

However, you might simulate this with RUN UNTIL. Sync your clock with the game, then set RUN UNTIL 6PM. Although the game will run faster than 1:1, when you return at 6PM, the game will be at 6PM too.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

Yeah, I think that would work for the most part, but I really feel like I'm cheating when the game is paused, but at the slowest speed, I get this little panicky feeling when I realize that 1 second = 10 game seconds or whatever.
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Well, I think you would have no problem slowing it down substantially with any number of CPU slowdown utilities. I use MoSlo4Biz for old games that have trouble with faster machines ($25 USD):

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/4biz.asp

I also use Turbo which is free. See:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Slo ... ities.html

Again, as the game implements no fixed rate simulation, you won't be able to get very fine control with these.

However, I am not sure how much you have played. When playing with max order delays and macro-managing (giving commands higher up the chain), things don't happen all that quickly in real time. It's more like the player sets things in motion which will evolve over time as opposed to things happen as soon as your fingers touch the keyboard.

It you are looking for more of a turn oriented approach to playing, then I might suggest you use RUN UNTIL and pause maybe every 4 hours. The game will continue to run even when minimized. So, you can use your PC to do other stuff or even play another game in the foreground. You can come back to the game from time to time and find it waiting for your review and new orders.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...

Return to “Command Ops Series”