Good news for Mac users

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

MrLongleg

Good news for Mac users

Post by MrLongleg »

The game runs just fine on VMWare if you belong to the happy owners of a Mac. Performance on my machine is great - no lack and even relatively fast AI moves...
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
henri51

RE: Good news for Mac users

Post by henri51 »

It also runs fine on Bootcamp with XP, as well as all other PC games such as WoW, Civ5, HOI3, EU3,WiTP, Flight Simulator X, Fritz and Rybka chess, you name it...

PC programs probably run a bit slower on Parallels since the latter runs under the Mac system, whereas with Bootcamp, your Mac is a true PC.

Henri
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

What are your specs for VMware? I can run it fine on my 2.4GHz MacBook, but it's a bit slow. It's an absolute dog on my 2 gig iMac.
Fastheinz

Post by Fastheinz »

is it that difficult to produce a mac version?
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: Fastheinz

is it that difficult to produce a mac version?

In most cases... Yes... Depends upon the processor and the Programming tools being used. Most Programming tools are tailored to a particular type of processing system. That's why you see many more programs released for the Intel/PC type machines than Apple machines. That's where the market (i.e. money) is.

edit> It's also why I will never buy an Apple style of PC... The software selection is much more limited on the retail shelves.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
wesy

Post by wesy »

Speaking of which what language and IDE was WitE coded? I assume Visual C++?
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

I have an 8 GB MacBook and use 2 GB for the VM running Vista Business...
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
Zoetermeer

Post by Zoetermeer »

When I run WITE on my MacBook Pro with VMWare I get a blue screen of death. It works fine when I boot into Windows directly (bootcamp), however.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but did anyone had success running WitE with Virtualbox? I have a virtual machine up and running with Windows XP as guest, updated DirectX but the game crashes right after hitting "Play". Host is a 2012 Macbook Air.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but did anyone had success running WitE with Virtualbox? I have a virtual machine up and running with Windows XP as guest, updated DirectX but the game crashes right after hitting "Play". Host is a 2012 Macbook Air.

Try removing intro videos (and disabling audio)!

IIRC, I had good experience running WitE in ALPHA years ago on both VirtualBox and VMWare...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

I deleted both intro videos and completely disabled the VM's audio capability, but it still won't work: after hitting Play a game windows opens and turns white after a few seconds, end of story. Could it be that the game has a problem with the resolution? Can I handover a resolution via command line switch?
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

I deleted both intro videos and completely disabled the VM's audio capability, but it still won't work: after hitting Play a game windows opens and turns white after a few seconds, end of story. Could it be that the game has a problem with the resolution? Can I handover a resolution via command line switch?

WitE doesn't use fixed resolution - it is simple window that can be adjusted to whatever size...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

WitE runs fine in VirtualBox for me on a Linux host. You have to enable all of the beta/unstable 3D video options, and fiddle with the various VT-x options as well as allocate enough video memory (I gave it 256MB). It's a little laggy in places but playable.
--
Del
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

3d options are enabled, but 128 MB is the maximum amount of video memory I can allocate. I switched through the various CPU options but either way the guest OS didn't even start of WiTe showed the same erroneous behavior. ::(

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”