German fortified zones?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Chocolino

German fortified zones?

Post by Chocolino »

In my first GC in winter '41 I left an area from about Pskov to Vitebsk foolishly undermanned by just regimental sized (split up division) units. I simply left my front too long and did not pull back from bulges (greed.....)

Now the Russians press hard toward Riga and threaten to cut off my units holding in front of Leningrad (yes I failed to conquer it).

Will the creation of fortified zones help those regiments to hold in the threatened areas or is the manpower better spend differently?
PyleDriver

RE: German fortified zones?

Post by PyleDriver »

Hum, you really need to shorten the lines and dig in mid October. Otherwise, well, I guess you found out...lol...Learning it's a bitch...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Won't help at all. Fortified zones are best used to build fortifications in your rear areas over a prolonged period of time as a fall back line. Building them close or near the front lines won't do you any good as their combat power is negligable.

Trey
ORIGINAL: Chocolino

In my first GC in winter '41 I left an area from about Pskov to Vitebsk foolishly undermanned by just regimental sized (split up division) units. I simply left my front too long and did not pull back from bulges (greed.....)

Now the Russians press hard toward Riga and threaten to cut off my units holding in front of Leningrad (yes I failed to conquer it).

Will the creation of fortified zones help those regiments to hold in the threatened areas or is the manpower better spend differently?
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Thanks, your advice saved me some admin points.

I guess I know where to direct all my new units ....
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

You can build some forts in forward cities in October. Sec units only build to level 1, so that will help them to build up and hold in the winter...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Aah - those are the things one does not learn from the manual - very interesting.

In the meanwhile I also found below AAR (in particular post 16) where the use of German fortifications for garrisons are explained.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2656633
roflbinflood

Post by roflbinflood »

I build forts into cities and sometimes into strategic positions as a backup against enemy breakthroughs. And sometimes on defensive positions i build them on top of Corp HQ's so they wont evaporate if the enemy happens to get to it.
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else!"

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”