Merry Christmas to me

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

histgamer

Merry Christmas to me

Post by histgamer »

Just got this for Christmas, it was either this or Bombing the Reich + World War One Gold, decided on this because when I get multiple games I tend to become overloaded burn out quick and never get into either...

How fantastic is this? I have WITP and WITP AE and love both though first turn on AE is a bit overwhelming...

Tips?

General impressions of the game?
amatteucci

RE: Merry Christmas to me

Post by amatteucci »

Yes, the first turn may be a little overwhelming compared to AE (notice that I'm speaking from the Allied POV, since I've never tried playing the Japanese with the additional production micromanagement required) but, as I already said eslewhere, as the Allied player, in WitE, you'll have more casualties in the first move than you'll have in WitP/AE by the end of the game! [X(]

WitE is a grognard game, on par with WitP/AE, but since the focus is on land operations and the scale and type of operations is very different, you'll have different solutions to different problems. I mean, the one week turns/IGOUGO insted of the one day turns/WEGO it's not due to a dumbing down of the game but is, IMHO, the best practicable compromise between realism and playability.
Josh

RE: Merry Christmas to me

Post by Josh »

Tips?

Some read the whole manual even before playing the game. I read a few chapters here and there, and then just start playing. It *is* pretty easy actually to get into the game, just click and off you go. Then after a while you start to wonder how things like transport, Combat Value, Supply etc, really work, time to check the manual again. So when playing I have the manual and the game running, the moment a question pops up I read the manual again. Easy-peasy, well not really :-) it is a fine in-depth game, lots of hidden things. Just start with the Boot-camp scenario, then some other small ones (the brave ones go for the campaign immediately), and then the Boot-camp scenario again, only this time you know what you're doing.

How fantastic is it?

Well obviously this is a triple A title, so it'll  receive updates/patches/scenarios/expansions for the next years to come. On a scale from 0-10, where 10 is best,  I'd give it a 9+.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”