The new shipset familes

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

feygan

The new shipset familes

Post by feygan »

Ok so we now have 11 basic full families and the others (machines etc). However in the races file I still only see a total of 7 racial family types, so how do i get the game to actually make a full 13 familes? I'm wanting to make new shipsets so each is different, but for example how would I make the kaiden use family 9 for their ships instead of their default?
tjhkkr

RE: The new shipset familes

Post by tjhkkr »

Howdy...

- Go to your race.txt file.

- First and foremost COPY IT and find a safe place for it.

- Within the race.txt file, you will see a lot of comma-delimited data. Look above and see which position belongs to what data... the position that controls the ship data. That is the one you want to set to 9

-- Make sure you copy the race.txt file first though... some person who is writing this did not the first time he did it...

There is an older version of the customization guide in this very forum... but be careful, it is old, but it will help you get to the right ship family.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'd recommend that you use the customization folder for all your modding. You can change the vanilla races.txt file if you want, but since you can create a seperate one in a customized theme, it helps to keep the originals without backing them up.

I have a Distant Worlds improvements theme, where I put all my favourite mods for the vanilla races. Just make a copy of the races.txt file in the root folder and paste it into your theme folder. Then like TJ says, you just have to find the column for changing the ship image directory for each race.

I don't think there are 13 vanilla families, just 11. You can add more families up to family20. However, you must create them in sequence, don't miss any out or the game might ignore them. I'm still getting the hang of how it works. Hopefully an updated customization guide will be along soon...
feygan

Post by feygan »

my bad on that one went blind and didnt notice that line [&:]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Igard is right... I should have said what he said...[:D]

And we are all learning this... that is why we use the buddy system here. [8D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Design and Modding”