NOOB Question number 1

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

mantrain

NOOB Question number 1

Post by mantrain »

The rules seem unclear to me on this, and the most basic of tactical operations differs from other games: Selecting one unit of a stack out of its organization unit, in order to only move one unit. For example, hex x/y has three units. I only want to move one of the three, one hex East. When I select the hex, all units in the hex appear on the right unit bar. How can I select just one, and deselect the other two? what colors should I be seeing which signifies selected, or not selected. Thanks!
mantrain

RE: NOOB Question number 1

Post by mantrain »

Just to follow-up on my last post, I can get individual unit to move, just not sure what the selection rules are, and am therefore not very confident about the process. thanks!
dereck

Post by dereck »

You have to UNSELECT the units you do NOT want to move.

Can't tell you how many times I've screwed myself on this.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Hey Dereck, Did you serve on the USS Midway? I live in San Diego, and, well, that's an awesome museum here now!
dereck

Post by dereck »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Hey Dereck, Did you serve on the USS Midway? I live in San Diego, and, well, that's an awesome museum here now!

Yes I did. I was glad when I heard they made her into a museum and she'll be around for a while. Needless to say in WITP she has a soft spot in my heart (though I haven't got to the point where I have her in my arsenal yet).
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

I thought she was commissioned after WW2.
jomni

Post by jomni »

On the right panel. You see your three units.  If it has a border, it is selected for movement.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Thanks Jomni,

Also, in the in the Order of Battle Screen, after you expand the HQ's, and individual regiments are listed, does anyone know what the three number are in Parenthesis? For example, in Tutorial scenario,
the first unit listed, under Kalinin Front: 3rd Shock Army, is the 146th Separate Tank Regiment(256-0-30).
What are the parenthesis referring to? thanks!
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

1. You can deselect the units you do not/do want to move, merge, etc on that right hand panel. Every single move. Every single unit :(

2. If you click in haste and hit the text showing the HHQ name on the unit you will jump to that HHQ's hex/stack. There is no back button to take you to the stack you just left, so you will need to search the map for it... :(
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

I think it might be men-guns-AFV, but I can't be for sure.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

dereck

Post by dereck »

I thought she was commissioned after WW2.

November 1945. She was considered a WWII-era carrier.

I'm playing my own scenario with no end date so if the Japs hold out long enough she could make it into the game.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Hey Dereck, In Wite, do you miss the massive naval battles of WITP/AE? How do you think the two games compare? I have AE, but never got into it b/c I think there is less information/ tutorial material. Certainly AE lack a tutorial and system for Noobs to get going..
dereck

Post by dereck »

Hey Dereck, In Wite, do you miss the massive naval battles of WITP/AE? How do you think the two games compare? I have AE, but never got into it b/c I think there is less information/ tutorial material. Certainly AE lack a tutorial and system for Noobs to get going..

I try not to compare WITE and WITP ... they're two different types of warfare. WITP is a grand grand strategy game based on the Pacific War which was primarily a naval war while WITE is a grand strategy land war where the navy is immaterial.

I've been playing WITP since it first came out. It is huge and does have a large learning curve but it's worth it. I have to admit, even though I do like WITE, that probably due to my connection with the Pacific War (my dad, an uncle, grandfather, multiple older cousins, a grand uncle killed at Munda and another distant cousin killed at Pearl Harbor) that WITP is still my favorite and all the time I've been playing WITE I feel like I'm cheating. I actually have to play WITE on my laptop since it has 2GB of memory and I've been playing WITP on my desktop almost simultaneously.

Either game if you get stuck just post on the forum and someone should answer. The WITP forum used to be much more ... volitile [sic?] ... back in the early days of WITP when you had vocal Allied/Japanese Fan Boys. I personally think the game is way too geared toward the Japanese and they're given abilities they never had and the allies are shorted assets but the very nice thing about WITP and it appears WITE too is that there is an editor to tweak a scenario so you can simply change what you don't agree with.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

Thanks Dereck, You know, My printed manual just sits there, and WITP is also loaded, but I think the learning curve is what has kept me away-- whereas again, WITE has a solid, or half solid, tutorial which has already got me playing within a week, if not haphazardly.
Re: WITP are you aware of any Noob threads where they take you step by step via nuts and bolts, or any other comparable Noob outlets to get one going into the game?
Thanks!
dereck

Post by dereck »

Thanks Dereck, You know, My printed manual just sits there, and WITP is also loaded, but I think the learning curve is what has kept me away-- whereas again, WITE has a solid, or half solid, tutorial which has already got me playing within a week, if not haphazardly.
Re: WITP are you aware of any Noob threads where they take you step by step via nuts and bolts, or any other comparable Noob outlets to get one going into the game?
Thanks!

I'm not aware of any NOOB WITP threads (not to say they're not there). WITP is such a long game (daily turns versus weekly turns) that you don't have to do everything in a turn - in fact you can't.

The hardest thing about WITP is that you need a lot of patience. I have a notebook where I track all base expansions, unit arrivals. what I do (if important), and notes of what I want or need to do. I do a game save when the day starts and call it <turn number) - Start and a game save when it ends <turn number) - End. If you do the same thing and screw up, just go back to whatever day start/end you want and start over.

There's also smaller scenarios you can play to get to know the nuts and bolts (though I just dived into the grand campaign myself).

Question: did you download the game or order a hard copy? I have CD versions of both WITP and WITE. One thing in which WITP, in my opinion, is far far far far better than WITE is that it came with a complete 328 page printed manual - much better than the printed manual that came with WITE which is only a partial manual.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”