Playing it as noob click attack move style

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

vils

Playing it as noob click attack move style

Post by vils »

Ok, i really enjoy this game, if abit unpolite prize for it still 10 years of development could use some cash reward..

Now, i am playing as germans 1941-45 campaign on all easy setting, and i have totally ignored most all parts of the game exept moving and attacking with units, deepest i have done so far is rail movement and some manual airstrikes and recon [:D] Still i think this game is extremely addictive and my question is, will my noob play style have any chance at all vs the ai? Are there soem next step to do suggestions? With the manual still in pdf i don't fancy to read it there, so i basically just do the try and error learning until i get it printed somewhere..

A side note is, i would fancy some more detailed pictures of the units, ala pzc style, and the combat reports are very dull to watch, could easily have added some tiny explosions and human wave sounds etc etc..
Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle
Tzar007

RE: Playing it as noob click attack move style

Post by Tzar007 »

Well, contrary to what you think, I believe this is quite a polished prize but you'll never discover it if you keep playing it like a beer and pretzels game.

Do yourself and the substantial amount of money you have spent on it a favor: read the manual, read threads here about how stuff is working, and totally plunge into the game. This is the only way you are going to get the full extent of the rich complexity and historical realism of this game.

As for if your noob playing style will get you anywhere, I guess you can do some mileage on it as Germans in 1941 but you're going to suffer a lot and be quite frustrated later on.
vils

Post by vils »

So your next step of advice is, to read the entire manual 360+ pages and then implement every micromanaging aspect in existence? Can you re-read my post pls? It's too cumbersome to read the manual alt-tabbing back and forth 1000 times until i get the manual printed, sry for not being clear about that.

Could someone narrow it down some, say, 3 more things to do as regular basis that could be vital? Next step what to do stuff?

KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

ORIGINAL: vils
...and my question is, will my noob play style have any chance at all vs the ai?

Well, if that would be enough to defeat the AI then the AI won´t impress me at all.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Could someone narrow it down some, say, 3 more things to do as regular basis

For the Axis:
1. Repair rail lines with your FBD rail repair units - keep them going east.
2. At the end of each turn before you press end turn press 'c' then click on the DtHQ column. For any units that have negative numbers click on the location (numbers), and move the units so they are in command range (the 5/5 number in top right corner; might be 15 or more for army HQs.)
3. Try to create pockets on one turn, and then reduce the pocket on the next turn to maximise the number of surrendered men.
It's only a Game

Bradd

Post by Bradd »

This is what I am doing. The manual is not as big as it seems. It can be read in an afternoon. So I read the manual. Forgot most of it the next day. :D But I am trying to get each piece down. For example. I did print out the hot keys. I tried to fully understand the combat model. Movement. Basic things. I feel pretty comfortable with that now. So now I am tackling the logistics part. Then when that is done I will hit the air part.

So rather than trying to swallow the whole thing. I am taking small bites so I understand the system.

Its a big game. But well worth the time. I remember Uncommon Valor. It took me a month before i felt comfortable. But in the end it was worth it. [:)]
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

If you add the supply part in your move and attack play I think you would come quite far in the small scenarios. But not for the campaign in itself.

I am right now diving into the thick pdf manual. Reading sequentially a few pages every 10 minutes or so and play in between. I don´t expect to remember the details but at least the major things until I feel confident of those things after a few scenarios.

From the quite thick tutorial (pagecount wise) I lack a few pages in the end summarizing the importance of supply (and the railroads)and how it works in overview, as well as recommendations of how to approach certain aspects of the game in the beginning, like airbases, airattacks, factories and so on. So that you could try to play the game after the tutorial with suggestions on things you can left out until you master the major parts. Other that than that, it was very good.

KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

2. At the end of each turn before you press end turn press 'c' then click on the DtHQ column. For any units that have negative numbers click on the location (numbers), and move the units so they are in command range (the 5/5 number in top right corner; might be 15 or more for army HQs.)

Thanks! A very good advice. I haven´t found out this yet and have had to manually check my units.

vils

Post by vils »

Biganorak, humbly thanks for your answer (and others aswell ocourse!) !

Great suggestions, i fancy! :D
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Im sorry but anyone else think this is a troll.

Seriously mate, you spent this much money on a wargame and want to play it like a FPS ?

And to quote:
"if abit unpolite prize for it still 10 years of development could use some cash reward.. " in language you might understand - WTF ?
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

So your next step of advice is, to read the entire manual 360+ pages and then implement every micromanaging aspect in existence?

Yes [:D] Well, I'm not micromanaging everything in the game, but at least I know about them after reading the damn big manual from cover to cover.
It's too cumbersome to read the manual alt-tabbing back and forth 1000 times until i get the manual printed, sry for not being clear about that.

Agreed. I hate doing that myself. Got the whole thing printed.
Could someone narrow it down some, say, 3 more things to do as regular basis that could be vital? Next step what to do stuff?

1. Make sure your units are inside their HQ ranges. Make sure your HQs are within 25 hexes and 100 MPs of an undamaged supplied rail line hex (don't need to count the hexes yourself, when hovering over your HQ, the pop-up box will tell you the Off-rail hex and off-rail MP distance).
2. Take every opportunity to come near a single enemy HQ or airbase unit: it gets them displaced to the rear by losing all their supplies.
3. For the same reason as number 2, never, ever leave one of your HQ alone near an enemy unit. It will instantly get relocated, even if your turn isn't over yet !

karonagames

Post by karonagames »

There will be as many styles of play as there are players, the point is to have fun.
It's only a Game

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
There will be as many styles of play as there are players, the point is to have fun.

That's what it's all about, enjoying yourself, I personally have not read the Manual, but dip into it as and when I need. The short scenario's like 'Road to Minsk' allow you to get playing without having to know about the detail like rail and supply, which would wreck your game in longer play.

I have moved through 'Road to Leningrad' and on to 'Road to Kiev', learning new features as I need them, now building rails and air-dropping supplies. I have never felt frustrated because I could make not things work, even though I know I could be playing better, I have still had fun, whilst not having to spend hours going through the Manual.

For a deep and potentially complicated game that is pretty good going. [:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Now, i am playing as germans 1941-45 campaign on all easy setting, and i have totally ignored most all parts of the game exept moving and attacking with units, deepest i have done so far is rail movement and some manual airstrikes and recon [:D] Still i think this game is extremely addictive and my question is, will my noob play style have any chance at all vs the ai?... {snip}

Why not if that is what you like to do? So what if your playing style doesn't get you to a major victory in 1945? As you play, you will probably find that you are unable to move some units (out of supplies) or that you are losing battles that you should win (low supplies due to HQs too far from railheads), or that your HQs cannot supply all of their subunits (lack of care in keeping formations together),or that you can't advance any more without losing your units (lack or repaired rail lines), or that you are facing walls of tough Soviet units 10 units thick (lack of destroying soviet units through encirclements), or that enemy air is chewing up your Panzers (lack of air attacks in early moves to destroy the Soviet air force), and so on and so on.

But as you recognize each of those problems you will want to improve your results, and you will either come to this forum to ask or read up on the problem or start to read up parts of the manual. Or it may be that the game is too complex for you, and that maybe you should be playing something else. But as long as you got a week's worth of fun from playing the game before you discovered this, you probably got your money's worth in my book.

Henri
vils

Post by vils »

I have played to much HPS panzer campaigns i guess, i thougt just keeping a solid frontline and having hq's in command range would be suffice.. ..vs the ai mind you

Good hint Tzar, i will keep that in mind whenever the ai decides it is time to go on the offensive

hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

I don't know if that will win against easy, but I think he is not doing himself a disservice if he is having fun doing it.

But! It will be more satisfying if you beat it on harder levels because you'll know you accomplished something.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”