Unable to Edit Ship Designs

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

magogian

Unable to Edit Ship Designs

Post by magogian »

Hello all,

First day player here. So far I'm really loving the game. It is quite immersive, yet it contains so many features to ease micro-management. I love it!

One question though. For some reason, I am not able to edit ship designs more often than not. I enter the general ship design screen and then click to edit a particular ship design. In the design screen for the particular ship, most of the time I cannot add or remove components. No matter how many times I click on them on the general list of components or the components on the particular ship, I can't either add or remove components most of the time. Every once in a while it works, but I have no idea why it only does occasionally. Any help?

Thanks
lordxorn

RE: Unable to Edit Ship Designs

Post by lordxorn »

Welcome to DW, yeah the expansion has really made the game a classic in my humble opinion.

Did you click on Add New? Or Copy As New? I always do the Add New, unless I am upgrading an existing design.
magogian

Post by magogian »

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

Welcome to DW, yeah the expansion has really made the game a classic in my humble opinion.

Did you click on Add New? Or Copy As New? I always do the Add New, unless I am upgrading an existing design.

I'm trying to upgrade existing designs.
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

you can't edit existing designs where you already have at least one built

instead load it and do "save as new copy" - you can then edit it
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

DELETED
Krob

Post by Krob »

But you can only Upgrade a design if you have a component that it thinks is better. Which happens a lot less with the new research system. (please make it so we can upgrade at any time)

K
forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 »

Just highlight the design you want to change, click 'copy as new', change the name and alter the design. Be sure to obsolete the old design if you no longer want to use it.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

You basically can with a Copy As New, because this makes a design with all the same components and then you can just rename Vortex mk1 to Vortex mk2. When you retrofit you can easily select the mk2.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Ship designs can't be edited so long as you have an active unit of the specific design on the map. You will either need to Copy as New or Upgrade.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
magogian

Post by magogian »

Ah, now I understand. Thanks everyone!
magogian

Post by magogian »

Never mind.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I have a similar question, so I thought I would resurrect this related thread.

In the Design screen, what is the difference in using "Manually Upgrade Design" and "Edit"?

I am watching Larry Monte's new Universe let's play on YouTube, and in video 5 he is upgrading all his ports, stations and ships. Sometimes he uses "Edit" and sometimes he uses "Manually Upgrade Design".

What is the difference in using these two actions, please?
Raap

Post by Raap »

Like mentioned, Edit doesn't work when you have a currently active unit using that design. In this case, Manually upgrade design will render the old design obsolete and make a copy of it that you can then edit.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you. So, Edit is good only for changing designs that you have not built any of yet?
Raap

Post by Raap »

Or for designs of which all ships/bases have been destroyed, yeah. As soon as you start production of something using a design, it's essentially considered 'in use' and the only thing you can use Edit for at that point is to render it obsolete OR change that design's behavior settings.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”