Naval ASW efficiency after the latest patch - any observation?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Fishbed

Naval ASW efficiency after the latest patch - any observation?

Post by Fishbed »

Hey everyone,

Sorry for opening another potential "whining zone", but my latest experience with allied Naval ASW since I applied the last patch leaves me with a couple doubts I would like to clear up.

I am playing the Allies in a modified SoPac scenario in PBEM against a friend. Before the Patch, I was involved periodically in a heavy ASW campaign against japanese subs (implies lots of air ASW, several ASW TF with aggressive commanders and respectable reaction range, attacks on possible SIGINT sightings, etc...). Those campaigns would mostly lead to heavy ASW fightings in the upcoming days, with several sub and ASW attacks - and even though only one or two subs may actually bite the dust (I am not given the exact numbers though of course) most of them just got damaged and scared off my coast (which was the original objective, and to me a most respectably realistic result).

Problem is that I just started another campaign like that now that we applied the new patch, and the results are rather... strange. Well here are my observations

- ASW attacks don't occur anymore, and any contact is made in the wake of a sub attack against the HK group (!).
- Some of my ASW TF literally sit on spotted Japanese stubs without engaging (that would hardly happen before, really).
- ASW seems a little less effective too, but there were too few engagements until now to be sure about that one.

This leaves me a little surprised, as I didn't read anything about a tweaking of ASW routines (either Allied or Japanese). This is going on for more than a week in terms of game time, and this just can't be a coincidence. Am I becoming crazy or something? Did anyone else notice something like that, and found a practical answer?

Thanks in advance!

Fish
khyberbill

RE: Naval ASW efficiency after the latest patch - any observation?

Post by khyberbill »

Since I have patched up I have sunk several Japanese subs. Mostly with surface ships but I am seeing hits from planes. I have not noticed anything different in this regard than before the patch.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Technically, I assume routines should be the same regardless the nature of the scenario (complete or regional map) and not get affected by a mid-game patch application, right?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The last patch was data only, not code (apart from a hot-fix for radar, fuel lockup and attack bombers).
Michael
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

Technically, I assume routines should be the same regardless the nature of the scenario (complete or regional map) and not get affected by a mid-game patch application, right?

"routines" would be the primary things that change regardless of the scenario ... "routines" are made out of code ... scenario data are made out of data. But we did not change any ASW related "routines" for patch 05 ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Well I am just daydreaming then.

There just couldn't be any bug involved there I guess? Anyway, such a claim would need much more throughout testing of course, so I won't bother you about this one.
Hope it's not a bug affecting this very scenario like the one who saw my whole Marine Raiders unit get its combat squad replaced with support ones [:D] [:(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”