RELEASE! Shark7 custom shipset

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Shark7

RELEASE! Shark7 custom shipset

Post by Shark7 »

And here it is. Everthing seems to be in order...if you find anything amiss, post a comment here with the problem and I will look into it.

READ THIS BEFORE DOWNLOADING!

Notes:

-Each ship type has one new model to represent it in game
-There is an optional generic base model, named genericbase_alt that you can swap for the genericbase model if you so desire. Simply rename the genericbase file to something else, then rename the genericbase_alt file to genericbase.
-All ships and bases have lights and thrusters set where appropriate.

How to Install:

1. Unzip the file into a temporary folder.
2. Go into your Distant Worlds -> Customization folder and create a new folder named <YOUR THEME NAME>
3. Inside the <YOUR THEME NAME> folder make a new folder named ShipImages.
4. Copy the FAMILY folder from the temporary file into the ShipImages folder.
5. Rename the Family folder to have the next consecutive number of ship families in the game. For example if this is the only additional set you have added, the folder would be named Family11. Alternatively you can replace one of the existing families by renaming the Family folder with the number of the family you want to replace (example Family0, Family1, etc).
6. Go to your main Distant Worlds Folder and find the Races.txt file. Copy this file into the <YOUR THEME NAME> folder.
7. Open the Races.txt file with a text editor. Find the race that you wish to use the new shipset.
8. Here you will find the name of the race, and several blocks of numbers. The first number in the second block is the ship family number. You will want to change this to correspond to the number of the family you just gave the added shipset...in my example, this would change to 11.

***EXAMPLE***

Human, 4, 0, 1.14, 110, 110, 110, 110, 120, 11, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 15, 15, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, Y, N, Y, 1, 20, 18, Sol, Strike Trooper Battalion

As you see in this example, I have changed the humans to use the new shipset. You note the numbers 4, 0, 1.14, 110, 110, 110, 110, 120, followed by the number 11...this 11 is

the number of the ship family that you need to change.

9. Save this file and start the game.
10. At the main menu, go to Change Theme, and highlight the radial button for <YOUR THEME NAME> and click Swith Theme.
11. Start a new game with the race you assigned the new shipset and your new shipset should be working.

*Note- If you are simply replacing an existing shipset that shipped with the game, you do not need to perform steps 6, 7, 8, or 9.

I have noted that if you make changes to an existing theme and try to start a game with manual AI empire settings, the game will get into a bug loop, to avoid this do the following:

1. Change back to the default game theme.
2. Start a quick start random game.
3. Quit back to the main menu.
4. Swap to your modified theme and start a game.

This will clear all existing information about the previous game and allow you to set up and start a new game with the modified theme.

DISCLAIMER: You are choosing to download and use this at your own risk and release the creator from any liability for damages that may occur. Even though I have a current virus-scan installed, you should *ALWAYS* scan any file you download from the internet for viruses yourself.

A copy of this README.txt is included in the zip file.

**IMPORTANT!**

This shipset is my original work.

I do give you full permission to redistribute these images as part of a Distant Worlds Mod. You can do this by unzipping the images into your theme folder and then zipping the theme folder with the images in it. I do not give permission to use these images with any game other than Distant Worlds.
Attachments
Shark7Shipset.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
tjhkkr

RE: RELEASE! Shark7 custom shipset

Post by tjhkkr »

Thanks, Shark 7.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Enjoy. That's what it's for. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Looks great man!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Glad its working out for everyone. I assume there have been no issues show up with the set?
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Bump [:)]

And an in game picture

Attachments
Shipset.jpg
Shipset.jpg (226.56 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Distant Worlds Fan

Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Where did you learn to make that disclamer Shark? It seems quite professional. Why did you included this: "I do not give permission to use these images with any game other than Distant Worlds."?
Data

Post by Data »

Wohoo, nicee...me likes.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

Where did you learn to make that disclamer Shark? It seems quite professional. Why did you included this: "I do not give permission to use these images with any game other than Distant Worlds."?

I made these images exclusively for use with Distant Worlds. If you want to use them in a mod of your own and redistribute them, I have no problem with it at all. What I don't want to see is work I meant for this game getting ripped off and used for other games without my knowledge. Its one of those this easier to say no in the disclaimer, but give permission if asked.

Basically if you want to take these images and actually put them in your distant worlds zip file with your own custom mod, go for it. Just don't go make a new game called Space Pirates of the Internet and use them without my permission. [;)]

And I've worked on video games before, so I've had a bit of exposure to wording a disclaimer. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

I made these images exclusively for use with Distant Worlds. If you want to use them in a mod of your own and redistribute them, I have no problem with it at all. What I don't want to see is work I meant for this game getting ripped off and used for other games without my knowledge. Its one of those this easier to say no in the disclaimer, but give permission if asked.

Basically if you want to take these images and actually put them in your distant worlds zip file with your own custom mod, go for it. Just don't go make a new game called Space Pirates of the Internet and use them without my permission. [;)]

And I've worked on video games before, so I've had a bit of exposure to wording a disclaimer. [;)]

Now I understand. I should probably make such disclamer for some of the stuff i do and share. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

I made these images exclusively for use with Distant Worlds.

Shark7, may I have permission to use your vessel designs to KICK ALIEN BUTT
in the upcoming mods for DW Legends?

Respectfully yours,

Admiral Ruafo, Future Commander of the main Son'a Attack Fleet, Briar Patch Nebula

Attachments
AdmRuafo.jpg
AdmRuafo.jpg (3.42 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I made these images exclusively for use with Distant Worlds.

Shark7, may I have permission to use your vessel designs to KICK ALIEN BUTT
in the upcoming mods for DW Legends?

Respectfully yours,

Admiral Ruafo, Future Commander of the main Son'a Attack Fleet, Briar Patch Nebula

Gee, I don't know.... [:'(] [:D]

Yes, you can use it in any of the DW games; DW, ROTS or Legends (and any upcoming expansions as well).
Distant Worlds Fan

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Thank you Shark7....a token of my appreciation: [:)]

(Get out of the Face-Stretching Chair free card)
Attachments
Getoutoffree1.jpg
Getoutoffree1.jpg (236.01 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Design and Modding”