ASW Air is FUBAR

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DeriKuk

ASW Air is FUBAR

Post by DeriKuk »

I apologize for starting a new thread. This is really a continuation of tm.asp?m=2300995&mpage=1&key=ASW%2CAir&#2301225 . . . but I'd get no respoinse there now.

I also realize that there have been good intentions to fix the problem of too-powerful ASW Air attacks, but I suspect that, instead of being generally nerfed for all parties, it is now badly warped. It is indeed FUBAR i.m.o.

The game is Grand Campaign, PBEM, as the Allies. It is an ongoing game, so I'm not going to post screen shots. The date is approaching May 1943. A sample of Allied air groups includes:
  • Experience: 58; 72; 56; 58; 62
  • Morale: 99; 93; 99; 97; 98
  • ASW Skill: <50; 59; 61; 70; <50

All these groups have been set to 60% ASW and 40% rest. The planes involved are Wellington GRs, Hudson III (LR)s, and PV-1 Venturas. Two of these types have ASV-II radars. (ASD-1 radar only appears in September 1943).

I've flown at varying altitudes: 100, 1000 . . . 4000.

I'm aware that ASW operates at half range.

Many Japanese subs have been spotted within that range. My infantry can sometimes stand on the beach and throw rocks at them!

I have had PBYs on Naval Search missions take shots [and HIT!] subs.

This far into the game, I have yet to register a single attack by Allied aircraft on ASW missions against Japanese subs. I've sunk some subs with surface units and other subs, but no ASW-Air hits or attempted hits. My opponent has also noted this.

In the meanwhile the Allied subs are having the tar beaten out of them at every opportunity by JAPANESE ARMY LEVEL BOMBER - Sally and Helen! No, not IJN planes like Betty, Nell, Mavis or Emily . . . but by IJA level bomber without a sniff of radar. My opponent has also noted this.

Of course, I expect you to be in denial - especially a certain Danish gentleman. [8|]

In the meanwhile we'll just soldier on with a broken game.
DeriKuk

RE: ASW Air is FUBAR

Post by DeriKuk »

Oh, I should also mention that I've assigned the most aggressive leaders I could find to the ASW units.

Perhaps I'm allergic to the statistical mean?
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I don't start to see my planes hit subs (or at least a report of same) until after skill level for ASW is in the 70's. I always have at least some of the squad being trained and have not set any to REST. For killing subs I use airplanes to find them and surface ships to sink them. As a disclaimer, I am not from Denmark but I do like a danish now and then.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

The most valuable effect aerial ASW has on subs is it increases their detection level and helps keep them from making effective attacks.&nbsp; I've found that enemy subs within my ASW search areas tend to make very few attacks, and fewer of those are effective.
CV2

Post by CV2 »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

The most valuable effect aerial ASW has on subs is it increases their detection level and helps keep them from making effective attacks.  I've found that enemy subs within my ASW search areas tend to make very few attacks, and fewer of those are effective.

Correct. This is what ASW air is for. Also higher detection level makes them much easier for your surface ASW to locate and sink. Spotted subs have almost zero chance to hit anything. I have a game where the allied player has somewhere around 50 boats in the Aleutians and I drove 6 carriers right through them, back and forth several times simply because I have 2 Kate squadrons on ASW patrol. He got 1 minor hit on 1 carrier.
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Quick question... If you want to actually hit subs ( and assuming that there's no bias vs or against IJA bombers or whatever ) are you better using naval search or ASW... Also, which altitude?
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
CV2

Post by CV2 »

ASW and lower is better. If you are planning on hitting subs with airplanes however, there is a flaw in your plan...
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I finished my GC campaign and noted there were few sinkings of jap subs by my aircraft. What I can tell you is there were tons of sinkings by my ASW TF's that had air support.
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

Following data is from my GC with Cannonfodder, we're into Jan '43.

US sub losses

Attachments
ussub.jpg
ussub.jpg (264.83 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

IJN sub kill claims

Attachments
ijnsub.jpg
ijnsub.jpg (155.74 KiB) Viewed 151 times
CV2

Post by CV2 »

Im guessing that you dont move your subs. You park them in 1 hex and there they stay until they die, am I correct?
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

I've learnt to avoid any base where Roel chooses to fly significant numbers of ASW aircraft from, any sub caught within a 6 hex radius of said base has a good chance of dying from a 250kg bomb hit.

As noted in my AAR of our GC I at first thought I was being too aggressive with my subs by putting them up close to the HI trying to intercept inbound resource convoys, the first few months of the GC were ok, I wasn't sinking much but I wasn't losing any subs either, that changed sometime from mid '42 as you can see from my sub losses. Roel had dedicated a couple of mediums to ASW training and then unleashed them with devastating results.

In contrast, and in fairness, the only dedicated ASW assets I have to date have been about a dozen squadrons, split about evenly between USN FPs and ANZAC mediums so I don't expect to have the same sucess against I-boats.

What I do have an issue with is the fact that I-boats can trawl their coats one hex off PH in '43 and not be driven off much less damaged or sunk. I've just had this happen as an even half dozen I-boats tried to sink a wounded BB inbound to PH.

So I agree with the OP, there seems to be something a little out of whack here.

A screenshot of a typical ASW squadron pilot roster.

Attachments
vs.jpg
vs.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

ORIGINAL: CV2

Im guessing that you dont move your subs. You park them in 1 hex and there they stay until they die, am I correct?

I used to do that in the earlier stages of '42 when I parked them off the HI but the latest losses were a line of pickets I had set on short loops so while I might be slow on the uptake I still get there eventually.
ADB123

Post by ADB123 »

In my pbems, both as Allied and as Japan, I've set plenty of LBA on ASW, and I get continuous reports of enemy subs being spotted, and enemy subs being hit. The more planes that I have on ASW, the more the reports.

The most effective ASW planes for me have been Dive Bombers, followed by Floatplanes (as the Allies), followed by 2Es. Flying boats tend to be good at spotting subs, but not as good at hitting them with bombs.

I was having problems until I found out about the error in the Search Arc routine, but once I got rid of the search arcs things picked up immediately.

So as far as I can tell, Airborne ASW is working well for me.

As far as my subs go, I NEVER leave them in once spot. They are always on the move. I've had very few damaged by enemy Airborne ASW.
CV2

Post by CV2 »

ORIGINAL: Arnhem

ORIGINAL: CV2

I used to do that in the earlier stages of '42 when I parked them off the HI but the latest losses were a line of pickets I had set on short loops so while I might be slow on the uptake I still get there eventually.

If you dont periodically move your subs out of air search range, of course they are goi9ng to be sunk. The way it works in a nutshell is this: 1) sub is spotted. Type and numbers of aircraft determine what increase in DL. if the sub doesnt move, DL drops 1 (or is it 2?). If the sub moves, DL is cut in half. Next turn, same thing. Number and type of aircraft increase DL and moving a sub will reduce it in half. But to get to zero DL, a sub needs to spend 2 or 3 days out of air search range. I plot my subs in a triangle pattern with 1 point way out of range at least a full days move away.
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

Most of the hits on Allied subs occur when they move through choke points. That's where those deadly IJA Sally and Helen level bomber are murdering them. Guess what? Moving through a choke point involves movement. Keeping subs stationery in a safe place means they use less fuel - meaning they have to move through the Sally and Helen-lined choke-points less often. In the big picture, parking in one hex is safer. I move a sub as soon as it's spotted.

As it stands, it's the Alied subs are being hunted. They are not doing any effective hunting. The IJA level bombers are simply too deadly. The Allies should get some of those.

I have a unit filled with "expert selected" AWS pilots ( 70 skill), aggressive leader, good experience. It finds the subs. It sees them . . . and then drops a note apology for scaring them. [>:]

It's silly programming fudges like this that turns the game to silly crap. [:@] It makes players turn to gamey tactics or layers of house rules. It's safer leaving the Allied subs at home. I wish I could exchange them for more of those lovely DDs, DEs and SCs. Those, at least, work.
Patbgaming

Post by Patbgaming »

My Air ASW is working pretty good. I had a few training squadrons getting ASW skill up to put in these. Your skill needs to be 70+ for your pilots to attack subs with any kind of regularity. Below that they will spot them but very very rarely will they attack. This is at least what I have noticed. I used the request verteran button to pull 70 skill pilots into my ASW air groups

I fly my ASW groups at 1000. Not sure if that helps but I thought if I was at lower altitude, then the sub might not spot me coming from 30 miles away and disappear before I get to his location.

I also use ASW Task Forces to attack any subs near my bases once the air spots them. That seems to work the very best for killing subs.
I can show you and I can teach you but I just can't learn for you. - Nameless NCO US Army
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: hjalmar99

Most of the hits on Allied subs occur when they move through choke points. That's where those deadly IJA Sally and Helen level bomber are murdering them. Guess what? Moving through a choke point involves movement. Keeping subs stationery in a safe place means they use less fuel - meaning they have to move through the Sally and Helen-lined choke-points less often. In the big picture, parking in one hex is safer. I move a sub as soon as it's spotted.

It seems to me you're wanting the game to conform to the bad tactics you're employing. If they get sunk in choke points, send fewer to choke points. In 1942 and much of 1943, historically, you should have minimal numbers of subs off the HI, and few in the PI yet, or DEI. Focus on island bases and get the re-supply convoys, Send some to Colombo through CT, and use them to patrol Sumatra and Java. Use Perth as well.

And you can't sit them still. D/L is all important in the game's logic. It's not bad progrmaming, it's fine. Accept it and adjust to it. US subs did not loll about waiting on the surface. U-Boats in the Atlantic did; USN boats hunted. Design good patrol areas and keep them moving. Use cruise speed if you want, but are you sure a boat staying in the same hex on cruise uses less fuel than one moving to a new hex on cruise?

I play the AI, so criticize that if you like, but I run into massive air ASW near the HI, and less farther out. (Historical? Yes.) I keep my boats moving, and use oddly shaped patrol zones. If I send them inside 1 hex of a base I never loiter them and I send them away for a cooling-off period after that one day. My game is at March 26, 1943. This is my Allied loss screen:

Attachments
subsunk.jpg
subsunk.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 152 times
The Moose
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

I am not sure, but I think a LowN skill will help along with a high ASW skill. 1000 feet seems to be the best altitude for hitting and spotting. ASW seems like it is 100 to 1000 times more likely to spot a sub than Nav Search.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I can't prove it, but once you get planes with good radar, putting them at 4k still "seem"s to spot the subs and has spotted surface ships for me

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”