Bring me the head of Diego Garcia...and the Mayor of Addu Atoll too!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Scott_USN

RE: Dancing with the Stars

Post by Scott_USN »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Mynok

we have the following probabilities:

THE PLAN = "Cpt Mandrake looks like a genius" = 0% probability

NOT THE PLAN = "Something else happens" = 100% probability

OK, that's it! <pushes ignore button with gusto>

Please address your apology to Cap Mandrake via Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, LLC, 328 Spring St., Los Angeles, Calif.

The all mighty owners of your neighborhood allow you to put up a mailbox?

Is it neighbourhood or neighborhood never know around the Lord Admiral

Oh US Federal Courthouse never mind, I don't go near that place... Dragons live there
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

It says so in the manual. Wait a sec...are we still pretending you didn't read the manual? [&:]

Look, I just sent you and Mynok to the cornfield. If I answer this it will show I was just bluffing. You are going to have to get up a little earlier in the morning to fool ole Mandrake.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Ummmm...Cap.....is there any particular reason you knew that address without having to look it up? [:D]

Ummm...I had to testify there twice...yeah that's it. Really, I'm not making this up[:)]

I didn't know what the address of the Federal courthouse. I just knew that Spring St was downtown. The fact that there might actually be a lawyer's office at 328 Spring St. strikes me as hilarious. If it says D,D&H, LLC on the door I will be seriously amused.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Sign in today OHAITE (Fijian for "where the **** did all these Japs come from?")

The LYB's landed on the North coast of Fiji. This can't be a big enough force to capture either base, of course, but they probably have orders to eat the natives pigs and coconuts and restrict Allied freedom of movement.

What's up with this?- don't you have a house rule preventing landings at non base/non dot base hexes? Not much point having coastal artillery if the enemy can land next door and march in- and avoid the shock attack as well (by landing at an empty hex).

Daniel
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

More audience participation needed please. This time we will listen to you....maybe.

23 Brigade is in a bit of a pickle in Burma. Discussants please see map below.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Sign in today OHAITE (Fijian for "where the **** did all these Japs come from?")

The LYB's landed on the North coast of Fiji. This can't be a big enough force to capture either base, of course, but they probably have orders to eat the natives pigs and coconuts and restrict Allied freedom of movement.

What's up with this?- don't you have a house rule preventing landings at non base/non dot base hexes? Not much point having coastal artillery if the enemy can land next door and march in- and avoid the shock attack as well (by landing at an empty hex).

Daniel

I wondered about that myself. I didn't remember seeing a dot there before but there seems to be one now. I presume it is some part of the LCU display. Frankly, I can't remember if we addressed this before the game started. Admiral Lord Sprior, do you recall?

If we have not I would favor an agreement to avoid that in the future. Ultimately, the rule favors Japan as the Allies will eventually have a vastly superior amphibious capability.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

23 Brigade again. How best should 23 Brigade escape, perhaps doing some damage on the way out?

These observations:

1) IG Div is just an awesome hurt machine. They crushed 2 intact brigades like Gozira vs an oragami crane.

2) I don't think they came out of Shwebo. If they crossed a river and had an automatic shock attack they must have come from Mandalay. Either way, 23 Brigade should avoid combat with IG Div.[:)]

3) 23 Brigade has orders to move to SE. IG Div can have no movement orders yet because she just attacked this turn. Most likely she will pursue 23 Brigade instead of the othr defeated units of 70 Div

4) 23 Brigade will have a movement rate bonus along the rail bed to the SE (not strategic rate but I recall there is some road like benefit for moving along a rail right of way is there not?..pretend I didn't read the rules). IG will have to use the cross country clear rate to move SW.

5) This means 23 Brigade will probably clear the hex before IG Div can engage, no?

6) If you take Meiktila, you might be able to get the infantry out by C-47 and send the vehicles across country South and then West around Magwe. It might even be better to go straight to Magwe and then either across country to the NW or SW to Promme and then up the coast.

7) If you change direction now you will lose a day of movement but you might still be able to escape IG Div because of a road benefit???

8) This is what "stream of consciousness" writing looks like.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

23 Brigade again. How best should 23 Brigade escape, perhaps doing some damage on the way out?

These observations:

1) IG Div is just an awesome hurt machine. They crushed 2 intact brigades like Gozira vs an oragami crane.

2) I don't think they came out of Shwebo. If they crossed a river and had an automatic shock attack they must have come from Mandalay. Either way, 23 Brigade should avoid combat with IG Div.[:)]

3) 23 Brigade has orders to move to SE. IG Div can have no movement orders yet because she just attacked this turn. Most likely she will pursue 23 Brigade instead of the othr defeated units of 70 Div

4) 23 Brigade will have a movement rate bonus along the rail bed to the SE (not strategic rate but I recall there is some road like benefit for moving along a rail right of way is there not?..pretend I didn't read the rules). IG will have to use the cross country clear rate to move SW.

5) This means 23 Brigade will probably clear the hex before IG Div can engage, no?

6) If you take Meiktila, you might be able to get the infantry out by C-47 and send the vehicles across country South and then West around Magwe. It might even be better to go straight to Magwe and then either across country to the NW or SW to Promme and then up the coast.

7) If you change direction now you will lose a day of movement but you might still be able to escape IG Div because of a road benefit???

8) This is what "stream of consciousness" writing looks like.

I certainly would stop their movement to the SE. It will take them a bit to ford a river crossing to the NW, but that's the safest way out. Move 'em out to the NW or lose 'em, Cap. I certainly wouldn't be sticking my head any further into the lions den...
sprior

Post by sprior »

Frankly, I can't remember if we addressed this before the game started. Admiral Lord Sprior, do you recall?

We didn't discuss this, and there's no dot on that hex.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Lomri

Post by Lomri »

From some forum posts I got the impression that landing on a non-base hex, which by definition can't be prepped for, causes tons of disruption and disabled units. I don't have a link to the thread, but that was my impression. As Cap says, pretend I've never tested this.

The results of that might be you don't care nor need a general house rules against landing at non-base hexes. Unless of course it is used in a way that seems hard to swallow, like landing a tiny force in the only retreat path of a Div. 4 guys and a shuffle causing the Div to not retreat in that direction being kind of silly. This doesn't look like one of these cases.

Oh wait, found the thread in the war room:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2631520
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

ORIGINAL: Lomri

From some forum posts I got the impression that landing on a non-base hex, which by definition can't be prepped for, causes tons of disruption and disabled units. I don't have a link to the thread, but that was my impression. As Cap says, pretend I've never tested this.

The results of that might be you don't care nor need a general house rules against landing at non-base hexes. Unless of course it is used in a way that seems hard to swallow, like landing a tiny force in the only retreat path of a Div. 4 guys and a shuffle causing the Div to not retreat in that direction being kind of silly. This doesn't look like one of these cases.

Oh wait, found the thread in the war room:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2631520

[edit] Oh and if you scroll down you'll see a certain shrubbery fan posting in the thread. Wonder if your opponents noted his comment!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Right...didn't know about the extra disruption business. Whatever landed there by fast transport must be light on heavy weapons and not much of an offensive threat. As long as they don't go overland and enter Suva hex via the back door there isn't much damage done.
sprior

Post by sprior »

Right...didn't know about the extra disruption business. Whatever landed there by fast transport must be light on heavy weapons and not much of an offensive threat. As long as they don't go overland and enter Suva hex via the back door there isn't much damage done.

That's exactly what they're going to do.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: sprior

That's exactly what they're going to do.

I sent a Bn of the 102nd NE to catch them and tasked some B-26's to rough them up. I think our guys will get there before the Japs can get over the Fijian peaks. I guess they could walk around the island on the beach road but if that is the case why not land closer to Suva.
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

Well, according to the movement direction icon it looks like they are following the road. Not sure why they didn't land closer to Suva - would have allowed for a lot less time for you to react. Then again, who knows, maybe they forgot to change the TF to "do not unload". I've done that smooth move before in WitP.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lomri

Well, according to the movement direction icon it looks like they are following the road. Not sure why they didn't land closer to Suva - would have allowed for a lot less time for you to react. Then again, who knows, maybe they forgot to change the TF to "do not unload". I've done that smooth move before in WitP.

Maybe they were trying to minimize the danger to the TF making the drop-off?
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Maybe they were trying to minimize the danger to the TF making the drop-off?

Sure, but why not come in from the south, where they hold Kandavu Island? If there was a rush to get troops in the backdoor to Suva, a few days of angling the FT TF seems worth while to make the drop off 1 hex out (via a road).
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

That would still be a longer way around, plus I doubt Klandathu (that's where the Bugs are from, right? [:D]) has any air might at this point.
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

Uh oh, maybe they landed a brain bug there.

[edit] Call Doogie Howser SS! Stat!
Cap Mandrake

Recon Bombing

Post by Cap Mandrake »

***************Aboard B-26, So Sorry, June 21, 1942, Northern coast of Fiji**********

The plane comes in low over a ridge to bomb the Jap landing beach. She is second in line, some 600-700 yds behind the lead plane. As they approach the target, there is a quick serious of flashes as the bombs from the lead ship detonate in the jungle. After the call of "bombs away" Lt. Crosson, pilot of So Sorry, pulls back on the yoke and begins to climb out. They fly through a light cloud of debris until suddenly there is a loud thump and a cracking sound in front of the co-pilot position. Wet blood climbs the windscreen, which is now partly shattetred. After the terror subsides, it is apparent there is a severed arm still bearing a portion of a Japanese uniform caught firmly on a metal faring. the lifeless hand pounds the windscreen like Ricky Ricardo on a bongo drum...well.. to be honest, I'm not sure he is alive yet but you get the reference.

Co-pilot: SWEET JESUS! I'll try the wipers.

Lt. Gerald J. Crosson: Belay that! The damn thing still has a shoulder patch. That there, that arm pounding on our windscreen, that there is military intelligence.............

Return to “After Action Reports”