Totally screwed???

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

seangregorycarroll

Totally screwed???

Post by seangregorycarroll »

After receiving this game as a generous gift (I know she paid over $80) a few months ago, I finally found the time to sit down and open War in the Pacific, 'Admiral's Edition' to install.

Being an avid history buff and hardcore wargame grognard, I was really excited to play this one. Well, not so fast. After clicking the licensing agreement I was prompted to enter a serial number. So I grab the box which I had opened only moments ago and inspect it and the book. Hmm, no serial number.

Ok, take out the CD out of the drive... oh, here are two numbers on the CD... CD # and order #... neither says serial number but it must be one of these, right? Nope, all I got was a message 'invalid blah blah blah'. So, I email everyone and anyone who will listen from Matrix and all I get in automated response nonsense.

I then call the number I find in the instruction book but they only handle new orders. She is happy to give me a URL though where I find a message saying 'Unfortunately, if you did not purchase directly from us there is nothing we can do for you... go back to the merchant and ask for a refund'.

REALLY?

Last time I checked the word MATRIX is stamped on the box. I run my own business and if one of my sub-contractors screws up and I tell my customer, 'Sorry, there's nothing I can do for you' you can bet your bottom dollar the very least that will happen is they will no longer be a customer.

I must have purchased over 100 games in my life and this has NEVER happened to me. It's not like this was $10 or $20... this was $80 plus... totally unacceptable. I am in total shock I am holding a product with the name 'Matrix' on it and they just basically say 'too bad for you'. Well, I will for the rest of my life share this story with my gaming friends and never ever again purchase anything associated with Matrix.
bradfordkay

RE: Totally screwed???

Post by bradfordkay »

Strange... my disc has the serial number printed directly on it.

If your friend purchased the game from Digital River, then she could use the order number to ask for the serial number. Have you tried that?
fair winds,
Brad
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Sean,
it does sound like you have been given the run-around... let me assure you that once Erik or Joe are aware of the problem it will be sorted in quick measure. REALLY![;)]

Before we get them on the case; have you looked in the support area & checked the CD sleeve?:
http://www.matrixgames.com/support/faq.asp?id=4
you have the relevant info and I hope the findmyorder will do the job for you.

I'm unsure whether you were dealing with matrix support direct or one of the resellers - but to have them say there is nothing they can do makes me believe it is a reseller. Matrix Games have one of the best support I've ever found.

Oh and welcome to the community - once you've overcome this - I'm sure you'll enjoy the game and the people.

Good luck and PM Erik Rutkins if there are further issues.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Don't know anything about your particular situation. As I bought mine via download, I also can't say where to find the serial # in a boxed copy. Here is what I can tell you:

The serial # is in the format "xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" So look for a number like that (16 digits with dashes breaking it into 4 sections).

Second, I and others that post here have seen fantastic customer service from Matrix. If that phone number only handles new orders, then contact their support via the website. I honestly don't know how long it will take for them to respond but I can't imagine it will be too long. Since the boxed copies come with a serial number - was the box previously opened? Maybe somebody took it at the retailer?

Third, the wonderful lady who bought it for you should remember where she bought it, most likely has a receipt, or failing that most likely there is a record with the credit card company. Figuring out where it was purchased might help a lot if you need proof of purchase for Matrix or to swap the game if the box was already opened at the retailer.

Sounds like a frustrating situation. Hope this helps.
seangregorycarroll

Guys,

Thanks for all your input... I actually feel better (at least not so angry) someone seems to care. 

I can assure you I tried contacting customerservice@digitalriver.com several times with no help.  I also asked for a phone number directly from the person I spoke to on the phone and she told me no such phone number exists for tech support.

The game came inside a plastic box with no sleeve.  It was sealed when I received it.  There is no 16 digit number anywhere.  The CD itself says 'CD Number:' with a bar graph underneath and under that a 20 digit number and then under that it says 'order ID' and then a 9 digit number.

The FAQ associated with this web site specifically states unless you purchased directly from us, there is nothing we can do.  I have already asked my Mother (there, I admitted my Mom bought it for me lol) where she bought it and she has no idea... keep in mind this was back in August and she has 1/2 dozen credit cards and God only knows how many vendors distribute this game.

I just want to reiterate I think it stinks Matrix won't stand behind their product regardless of the distributor.  How can one put their name on a product without doing so?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: seangregorycarroll

The game came inside a plastic box with no sleeve.  It was sealed when I received it.  There is no 16 digit number anywhere.  The CD itself says 'CD Number:' with a bar graph underneath and under that a 20 digit number and then under that it says 'order ID' and then a 9 digit number.

That's exactly what mine has, except above those two there's a line that says "Serial No.: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" It's white ink in a black background box.

If that's missing I'd say it's a manufacturing defect. Erik usually patrols this forum, although he's probably spending a lot of time in the new "War in the East" forum. I've never known him not to make a customer happy if it's possible. You might look over there and PM him. If his box is full, as it often is, try an email to him at Matrix.

Good luck.
The Moose
mcissell

Post by mcissell »

I had the same problem when I bought the game, almost word for word and no serial No. on the disk. Even worse I had no idea of the Forum. I got the company that sent it to me and they gave me the serial No. (obviously not from digitalriver). Stand by, this forum will get you the answer.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

seangregorycarroll,

Last Christmas/New Year Matrix had a batch of CDs printed without their serial numbers. The following thread identified the problem and the solution.

tm.asp?m=2355026

Note that Matrix did then, and always has, stood behind its products. From what I can tell, your bad experiences result from dealing with third parties who are not Matrix. As others have already stated, contact Erik Rutins directly (he is currently to be found very much over at the new War in the East forum, sorting out issues raised by customers) or click on the help link provided in the thread listed above.

Alfred
seangregorycarroll

Thanks Alfred... I just checked that link and posted there as well. I don't know if it applies as this game was purchased in the USA and only July/August of this year but I asked for an address to send the defective CD back to hoping I would receive a replacement.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I suffered from the absent serial number. I put my order through an excellent reseller based in the USA, so I wouldn't take any solace from the thought that the problem was 100% geography limited.

Alfred
seangregorycarroll

Solace? No, no you misunderstand me... I have found no comfort at all in any of this. I was merely pointing out they stated the problem was outside of the USA which distressed me even further considering my problem has occurred IN the USA
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Solace? No, no you misunderstand me... I have found no comfort at all in any of this. I was merely pointing out they stated the problem was outside of the USA which distressed me even further considering my problem has occurred IN the USA

I replied to another post you wrote.

Erik may find this post sooner or later, my advice for you is to open a ticket with the Help Desk, they will be able to assist you.
Flipper
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

IMO - there are 2 failures here, hence why the OP is in such a pickle.

Failure #1 is in the production of the game disk. Somehow the company that Matrix uses made an error in sending out disks printed with no serial numbers on it.

Failure #2 is the gift giver who gave you the gift without the receipt and/or copy of the email order confirmation (which in my experience - always states the serial number).

Now, you could......

1) try and ask the gift giver if she still has the receipt and/or email order confirmation. But with it purchased months ago and you waiting months to play it, I assume this option is a no good.

2) try and get in contact with Matrix. Which sounds like what you are doing, but it might take some time and a lot of patience.

So hopefully Matrix gets back to you ASAP and solves the issue.

The lesson here - Never wait to plays games! Drop everything and play all your games the minute you get them! 
seangregorycarroll

well, email sent for the 10th time this time saying I have defective disc and willing to mail in as proof to get replacement... 24hrs later and only response is more automated nonsense... thanks a lot
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

well, email sent for the 10th time this time saying I have defective disc and willing to mail in as proof to get replacement... 24hrs later and only response is more automated nonsense... thanks a lot
I went to the trouble of PM and emailing Eric Rutkins on your behalf... I know he's busy with WITE (and probably asleep at this time)

I hope this will quickly expedite the issue.

Regards (and for what it's worth (and won't make you feel any better) - you experience with Matrix is A-typical)
chuckj118

Post by chuckj118 »

Once you get through to them they are great.  Its getting through that can be tough.  [:@]

Return to “Tech Support”