Possible Campaign Error?

Discuss you ToS map designs made with the editor and post them here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

LordSteel

Possible Campaign Error?

Post by LordSteel »

I was playing the 3rd mission of GhostBear's Vulim Empire Coup.

I failed. (The AI titans destroyed the base I was to protect.)

At the time, I had one titan which was all but disabled (missing right torso, medium engine damage, heat reg destroyed). 4 other titans were in various stages of damage (none seriously).

However, when I went to fork out the money for the repairs, I found that all my titans were already fully restored. Is this normal? Does the campaign automatically restore all mechs/pilots if a campaign mission is lost? I'd think the damage and deaths should be permanent so the player has to "pay" for his/her "mistakes" in the mission.

Thoughts?
jureidinim

RE: Possible Campaign Error?

Post by jureidinim »

Its a setting in the editor. The creator can set it up either way. The option is under the:
"IF LOST --> " you can set it to either:
- Save Fight and advance to next map (damage carries over)
- Undo fight and restart on same map

My last campaign i made - Rise of Robots - i have one mission path that i switched that off on - so damages did carry over.

I guess you could ask GhstBear to go through his missions for that campaign and switch the option to the hardcore one - to make it permanent - and send you a "Hardcore" version of the campaign. [:)]

Of course, you may end up restarting a lot with new team [:D]
LordSteel

Post by LordSteel »

Thanks, jureidinim. That makes a lot of sense. I suppose for campaign designers, it can be worthwhile to let players learn from their mistakes so they don't get too frustrated if a bad decision costs them their entire team.

To Ghostbear - if you intended to let the player of the campaign restart missions without damage from a "lost" mission - then I'm fine with that. No need to post a "hardcore" campaign unless that is what you originally intended. [:'(]
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Wow! You're quite the disciplined player.

I agree with Jureidinim.

A. There are several reasons I make a mission reset:
1. If it is a hard mission, this allows a person to become familiar with the game play and possibly
overcome it. (This is partly the reason in this mission.)
2. If there are too many booby traps set up that it simply wouldn't be fair if a person doesn't know
what they are. Even your prized pilot can be suddenly destroyed by one of these. I personally
avoid this kind of programming.
3. The storyline requires you to succeed at a certain mission. (This is the other reason in this
campaign.)

B. Resets are still hard to deal with because:
1. If you failed once, you may fail again because your titan setup may not favor that mission. It
will require reconfiguring your force - that can be expensive.
2. You may just not "get it" on the mission, in which case it is a stumper until you solve it as
opposed to just taking a hit to the team, but moving on while scratching your head.
3. In addition to no effect to your titans, there is no effect to your pilots, so their learning
doesn't count from that mission.

I did set up the missions as deliberately resetting or not depending on the above reasons. The campaign warns you when it does not reset. You can even play with it a while when you know it resets to see what you can learn.

On the particular mission: That is a tough one. You will need someone long range, and someone short range. To block the base: cover fire helps, and sometimes they will target you instead of the building you are standing on.
LordSteel

Post by LordSteel »

Thanks for the info, Ghostbear.

SPOILER!!

I'd already figured I needed someone with GMs when I saw a 3025 Griffin on the other side of the lake pummeling the objective. I tried walking my medium titan across the ice to get to him, but he fell down too much along the way. [:D] A JaggerMech showed up and between the two, they crippled his titan (which was similar to the IceLord, if I remember my TOS designs well).

An UrbanMech and Quickdraw showed up from the southwest and were disabled by the rest of my force (in light short-range titans). A Clint zero'd in from the east but was chewed up by my remaining light titan (I'd left there, sensing a trap). Unfortunately, a long-range Whitworth from the northeast finished the job against the objective - causing the mission to end.

I was expecting to pay through the nose for that failure. I was left scratching my head when I saw my pilot was unhurt and none of the titans had damage.

All in all, an enjoyable scrap. I think I'll swap out the cold light guns for some GMs - maybe plasmas....

END SPOILER

To LarkinVB - way to go with the editor, allowing both the "hardcore" and "gentler" options for mission failure. Man, you seem to have thought of everything. I keep getting more and more impressed. What do you do for your day job???
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Also, try sending someone to focus on the other side of the lake. Have him speed over there from the beginning. If he is medium range he will do best. Maybe even with jump jets so he doesn't have to be good at iceskating.

I second your comments on Larkin.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Thanks for your kind words. I'm working as a sysadmin at the local university. 

Return to “Titan's Map Room”