CEAW: Question about mobility

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

CEAW: Question about mobility

Post by GaryChildress »

The Commander: Europe at War forums are pretty dead these days so I would like to run some ideas by the larger community of wargamers in the hopes that the insight of others may clarify an issue I have with the game.

Basically the issue is this: There are 4 basic ground units in the game.

1. Garrison units: movement speed is 2 hexes per turn
2. Regular infantry corps: movement speed is 4 hexes per turn
3. Motorized or mechanized infantry corps: momvement speed is 5 hexes per turn
4. Armored corps: movement speed is 6 hexes per turn

A turn basically represents 20 days. A hex basically represents about...maybe...I don't know...100 miles (judging from the fact that Lodtz is one hex from Warsaw, 73 miles IRL).

My question is this: should a regular infantry unit really have 80% the speed of a fully motorized unit? Is this realistic? I would be more happy if regular infantry had a movement speed of 3 hexes per turn instead of 4. I don't have trouble with any of the other movement speeds, just this one. To me it detracts from the value of motorized units if regular infantry can move almost as fast.

When I think of the early days of blitzkrieg, I think of amror and motorized infantry radically outpacing regular infantry. It just doesn't make any sense to me to have regular infantry marching almost as fast as troops propelled by vehicles. Granted my grasp of events in WWII is limited. Maybe the opinions of others would help. How fast could a tank division go versus how fast a typical infantry division of WWII?

Many thanks!
MikeBrough

RE: CEAW: Question about mobility

Post by MikeBrough »

Gary, I suspect the game is play-balanced for those movement values but you can experiment by changing the movement values in the various unit files (all straight txt files) in the data directory.
Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

Return to “General Discussion”