A good WITE read

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Rotherman

A good WITE read

Post by Rotherman »

The Road to Stalingrad, and The Road to Berlin by John "Sony" Erickson are great books. The level of detail is immense.
JamesM

RE: A good WITE read

Post by JamesM »

Read them a couple of times, I can not find a better history that details the Soviet side.  Now if only I can get them as ebooks!
raizer

Post by raizer »

they good but-Ive read them a few times-Glantz is better IMHO, esp his 2 new monster books on stalingrad-to the gates and Armageddon.  They are both about 700 pages and have all the new source info that Erickson was not privy too 
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: raizer

they good but-Ive read them a few times-Glantz is better IMHO, esp his 2 new monster books on stalingrad-to the gates and Armageddon.  They are both about 700 pages and have all the new source info that Erickson was not privy too 

I haven't read Glantz yet,how is he as a writer? I have heard he is dry,what is your opinion?
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

I haven't read Glantz yet,how is he as a writer? I have heard he is dry,what is your opinion?

He certainly is the guru of Ostfront books but the one I read (Kharkov 42 I tink) I could not deal with it as so dry. But I hear other people enjoy them so mileage will vary...

Reading War Without Garlands right now and excellent. Not a detailed study but mainly first hand accounts which is interesting in its own way.
raizer

Post by raizer »

he was dry but is much better now-I read kursk by him and it was not dry at all-pretty good-stalingrad is the same-good and not dry imho.  I think he might have heard some complaints [:D]
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

he was dry but is much better now-I read kursk by him and it was not dry at all-pretty good-stalingrad is the same-good and not dry imho.  I think he might have heard some complaints [:D]

Good to know and maybe I should revisit him as nobody covers the Russian Front like him.
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Yes, his writing style is dry, but it's hard not to be when describing operational manoeuvers in detail. He's not into stories of courage and glory. Nevertheless, his books are the most detailed you can get on operations on the Eastern Fronts. I have a couple of his books (his last "Armageddon: Road to Stalingrad" are especially good). I just ordered his latest "Barbarossa Derailed". Glantz is a must for serious Eastern Front buffs.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”