War in the Pacific as Planned--Allied

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

herwin

War in the Pacific as Planned--Allied

Post by herwin »

This is DaBabes with Blitzk playing Japan and herwin playing the Allies. It has variant victory conditions--if Japan avoids attacking Hawaii, Alaska, or the continental US, the war ends earlier. Blitzk believes hitting Manila instead of Pearl Harbor is a better strategy even for the standard game.

Scenario Changelog (from Blitzk).

Source Dababes v4 + PM sent from JWE

1) Change Ki-44 series from Ha-35 to Ha-34
2) Admiral Yamamoto axed. Admiral Inouye is CINC Combined Fleet. 4th
Fleet comander is Admiral Koga
3) LCU unit 4304 TOE points to 2251 empty slot, setup to 0 (itself) to
correct error
4) LCU units 6259 TOE points to 2425, same as before
5) Changed the arrival of units 5086 and 5087 to Fort Ord. Change the
arrival date from 420226 to 420115

6) Renamed Scen28 to Scen 30.

Here are the rules:

If the Allied player has a sea line of communications (a continuous path
with air superiority) between North America and a fleet base in the
Philippines and from there to a forward base in the Ryukyus, Korea, or Japan
by 30 April 1944, he wins a decisive victory. If this requirement is met by
31 July 1944, this is a regular Allied victory. By 31 October 1944, a
marginal victory, by 31 January 1945, a draw, by 30 April 1945, a Japanese
marginal victory, by 31 July 1945, a Japanese regular victory, and by 31
October 1945 or later, a decisive Japanese victory.

If at any time, the Japanese player attacks a hex in Alaska, Hawaii
(excluding Midway), or continental North America, the Allied player has an
additional year to meet his requirements for a victory. This makes the
historical results a decisive Allied victory. Attacking is a port strike,
airbase strike, air strike against a naval force in a port, strategic
bombing, or landing. Submarine attacks of any sort and surface or air
strikes against a force at sea are allowed.

The purpose of this scenario is to explore the Pacific campaign as both sides expected it to take place.

On December 7th, 1941, President Roosevelt comes on the radio to report: "The Empire of Japan has attacked American possessions in the Western Pacific and the Commonwealth of the Philippines. Germany and Italy have activated the mutual support clause in the Axis Treaty, and have also declared war on the United States. I am meeting with the Joint Chiefs of Staff and have been in contact with Prime Minister Churchill, Secretary Stalin, and Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek. The United States is now at war and I am declaring a State of Emergency."

There are unconfirmed reports of air attacks on the Royal Navy in Singapore and a submarine attack on the US Battle Fleet. No damage is reported by allied sources.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
herwin

Dec 7/8 1941

Post by herwin »

December 7/8 1941

This morning, the Empire of Japan declared war against Thailand, the British Commonwealth of Nations, and the United States of America. Japanese airstrikes, surface naval actions, and landings were reported in the Philippines and Malaya. The Thai Government capitulated to the Japanese later in the day.

Heavy Japanese airstrikes against Manila, Hong Kong, and Malaya. Midget submarine attack at Pearl Harbor.

Loss of SS Porpoise, SS Shark, SS Tarpon, SS Pickerel, SS Salmon, SS Skipjack, SS Snappe, SS Stingray, SS Sargo, SS Sailfish, SS Swordfish, SS Sealion, SS Searaven, SS Seawolf, SS S-40, SS S-41, PT Q-112, YO-42, xAP Don Esteban, and xAKL Dai Tung on Dec 07, 1941 is admitted.

Landings at Kota Bharu, Batan Island, and Makin. Batan and Makin are captured.

Japanese attack Pengpu in China.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
FatR

RE: Dec 7/8 1941

Post by FatR »

Well, that's goint to be interesting. I think, I'm going to follow this AAR.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
herwin

Dec 8/9

Post by herwin »

December 8/9 1941

Kota Bharu captured by Japan.

Loss of SS Sturgeon, SS Saury, SS Spearfish, SS Sculpin, PT Q-111, TK La Estrella Caltex, TK Manatawny, xAP Candesa, xAP Candioa, xAP Elcano, xAP Ipoh, xAKL Circe, xAKL Dai Lee, xAK Ravnaas, xAKL Escalante, xAKL Sarangami, xAKL Taurus, xAKL Regulus, xAKL Cetus, xAKL Kolambugan, xAKL Fortuna, xAKL Princess of Cebu, and xAKL Princess of Negros on Dec 08, 1941 is admitted. This is what happens when the KB helps take out the Philippines.

Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 9/10

Post by herwin »

December 9/10 1942

The KB is hanging out in the middle of the Sulu Sea, while a Japanese SAG noses down the Makassar Strait.

First Japanese xAK sinking!

Loss of DD Thanet, PT-32, PT Q-113, CM Prins van Oranje, xAP Legaspi, xAP Van Outhoorn, xAKL Paz, xAKL Cebu, xAK Governor Wright, xAKL Latouche, xAKL Luzon, xAKL Montanes, xAKL Isla Filipinas, xAKL Surigao, and xAKL Kanlaon II on Dec 09, 1941 is admitted.

Japanese landings at Aparri, Vigan, and Tarawa. Combat at Hong Kong.
Harry Erwin
Fletcher

RE: Dec 9/10

Post by Fletcher »

herwin,

Best of lucks in your new game. I´ll follow closely due I like very much your victory condition rules under DaBabes!. Will be a very interesting play with Blitzk playing the "dark side".

Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
herwin

RE: Dec 9/10

Post by herwin »

Blitzk is a better player than I am, so he keeps me challenged. Best way to get better.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 10/11

Post by herwin »

December 10/11 1942

The Chinese capture Ichang!!!! (No resistance.)

Loss of HDML P 1-3, xAP Kedah, and xAKL Lepus on Dec 10, 1941 is admitted--The Japanese SAG covering the KB hits Tarakan. It would have been nice if they had run into the new defensive minefield there.

Japanese invasions at Brunei and Miri. Aparri and Vigan captured. Hongkong bombarded--probably can't hold out more than a day.

Kaga spotted north of Brunei.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 11/12

Post by herwin »

December 11/12 1941

Not a really good day for the Allies. The KB moved to six or seven hexes north of Kuching and took out a cruiser deployed in a patrol line near there. The Black Hawk was sunk proceeding alone to Batavia, and the Prince of Wales took a torpedo hit near Soerabaya. Guam invaded. Ground battles at Brunei (captured), Miri (captured), Hongkong (resisting), and Victoria Point (captured). Shipping at Palembang will have to hunker down, as will the Mauritius at Singapore.

I'm working at flanking Japanese forces in China and cutting them off from their supplies. I have two armoured battalions in Luzon that I intend to use in flanking as well. It would be nice to have an armoured reserve in Burma.

Two USN CVTFs move out to investigate Japanese forces in the Eastern Mandates.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 12/13

Post by herwin »

December 12/13 1941

I was a bit nervous because I had lost track of the KB, so I played conservatively. My opponent's combat replay just came back with the comment: "Ouch." Let's see what happened...

The Hiryu ran over a Dutch sub and took a fish. Meanwhile two Japanese subs at Oosthaven (despite the minefield and ASW force there) torpedoed a couple of merchies.

Japanese invasions at Mauban and Guam. Guam falls. Hongkong bombarded.
Harry Erwin
herwin

RE: Dec 12/13

Post by herwin »

The intel report claims the Hiryu is sunk, but I seriously doubt it. The KB is in the middle of a risky situation: there are intact air units in all directions; there are subs stalking it; and I don't think he knows where my SAGs are. On the other hand, Palembang is sheltering a lot of shipping from Singapore, and I've pulled my SAGs back out of mousetrap distance. If he comes after me, I'll close. If he goes after Palembang, I'll use my air. I think he's changed the KB cruising formation, and I want to see the changes before I take it apart.

He has developed a flanking tactic for ground combat, and I'm trying to adapt to it. I have some armoured units I can use the same way. I'm also putting a lot of effort into improving my AV and firepower scores.

He likes to sweep my CAP, but I suspect the last patch should help with that.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 13/14

Post by herwin »

December 13/14 1941

The KB decided to stand its ground. It was like whack a mole!--air strikes from all points of the compass. If it doesn't move, it will soon be hip deep in alligators (submarines)! The Hiryu is putting up fighters, so it probably didn't take much damage. The Allies lost a bunch of motor launches that couldn't run away.

Hong Kong holds; Mauban and Tuguegarao fall. It looks like he's running an armoured battalion down the northern route--I see him and raise him.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 14/15

Post by herwin »

December 14/15 1941

AVG begins eliminating obsolete Japanese fighters in China.

CL Kinu runs over an American sub and takes two fish.

KB north of Sinkawang--I'm happy to see it depart into the rising sun.

Bombardment at Hong Kong.

San Fernando falls--shock attack. 11 Phil Div surrenders.
Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 15/16

Post by herwin »

December 15/16 1941

Hong Kong falls.

Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 16/17

Post by herwin »

Japanese air attacks on Clark AFB.

Otherwise relatively quiet. Allied merchies hunkered down in Palembang make a dash for the sea.

KB spotted off Viet Nam.

Harry Erwin
herwin

Dec 17/18

Post by herwin »

December 17/18 1941

The Japanese continue suppressing Clark AFB.

Japanese shock attack at Alor Star. Moderately successful.
Harry Erwin
herwin

RE: Dec 17/18

Post by herwin »

December 18/19 1941

Japanese capture Batangas, Bayombong, and Lingayen; Allied counterstroke at Mauban.

KB headed towards Japan? Perhaps only the Hiryu. The KB may actually be NE of Singapore.
Harry Erwin
Mike Solli

RE: War in the Pacific as Planned--Allied

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: herwin
If at any time, the Japanese player attacks a hex in Alaska...

Does this include the Aleutians?
Created by the amazing Dixie
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: herwin
If at any time, the Japanese player attacks a hex in Alaska...

Does this include the Aleutians?

Yes.
Harry Erwin
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

That would make me nervous as the Japanese player.  That's a safe haven that the Allies can build up without much fear of retaliation.
Created by the amazing Dixie

Return to “After Action Reports”