Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Flaviusx

RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1

Post by Flaviusx »

You'll want to identify your most important lines of advance and make sure those get manual conversions. The AI can fill out the rest of the rail net.

WitE Alpha Tester
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

The number of dashes indicates the counter display mode. Single dash means the counter is displaying Attacking CV and MPs; 2 dashes is Attacking CV and Defensive CV including fortification modifiers.

3 dashes? Where are you seeing them? You sometimes get a ? which shows the the Detection Level(DL) is low and that the figures on the counter are inaccurate.

Thank you for the quick reply.

3 dashes.... em, er, dirty glasses?!?! [:D]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

Thanks again guys. The whole crew have all been absolutely fantastic about timely replies to our crazy noob questions. I frankly couldn't ask for much more. Great support!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Movement costs contain a morale element, so low morale units such as Rumanian and Italian Axis Allies will use up more MPs, and often will "refuse" to move into enemy ZOCs even though it looks like they have sufficient MPs.

Click on any unit: I would have thought the hexes a unit can move to are a light colour and those they cannot move to are a darker shade.

Surely its not nescessary to count movement points.
-

PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

It does show lighter hexs where you can move. In FOW+ it won't so many hexs in the rear as you don't know whats back there.
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Another hint as to railroad repair units, try to avoid this situation happening specially at the start of a campaign/scenario:

It's normal to first move/attack with you units and then once the enemy has retreated you advance your FBDs/NKPSs units to repair the torn tracks, now make sure you don't leave a stack of 3 units in the rail to be repaired with no mp left or that hex will have to wait till the next turn and spoil your repair plans.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

The "c" button is your best friend. Before you press "End turn" press the "C" key, click on the "Units" tab, then click on the "DtHq" column.

This will sort units by their distance from their HQs. Units that are outside their maximum range have negative numbers in the DtHq column.

Keeping you Army in command and control range is one of the keys to victory.
It's only a Game

Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Just happened to me. Despite knowing it would happen I forgot and I moved a unit out of a stack with an HQ. Doh! It's gone, man where's that undo button when you need it. [:'(]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

There is some confusion regarding the Password in multi-player games. If you enter something in the password section, then this will "lock" your game until your opponent enters the password. If you want an "open" challenge, then do not put anything in the password section of the multi-player challenge creation screen.

In PBEM games, the second player (usually the SU) has to send a starter turn to the first player, and each player will be asked to enter a password the first time they open a PBEM file (.PSV) that will unlock the PBEM files that are sent backwards and forwards.
It's only a Game

Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

Got a panzer corps HQ sent back to Odessa in the South[:D]
Was trying to cut off some soviet forces and well..............

I think this one is going to be a classic.
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

C and C is my issue.  I think I'm doing it right, but something is going wrong.  So, obviously not doing it right.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Distance from Division to corps HQis usually OK to manage, but in Early turns with the big advances, the corps HQs can get too far from the Army HQs.

Use the "C" button then sort by the DtHq column, anything that is negative needs to be moved into command range.
It's only a Game

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

In most of the scenarios and campaigns, several stacks will contain combat units and HQs that are adjacent to enemy units. Be sure to move your HQs away from the hex before you move the combat units out of the hex.

Can we have a warning box to show if an HQ is going to be left alone - 'HQ will be isolated - move units yes/no'. This post is a good tip, but when the mouse goes to click overload, a hint box will save a lot of heart-ache. This mistake could break a game at a critical time and should have an on screen safety warning. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

What's the matter with the school of hard knocks? [:)]

Thanks for the suggestion I will see if I can get it to fly in the Development forum.
It's only a Game

pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

In most of the scenarios and campaigns, several stacks will contain combat units and HQs that are adjacent to enemy units. Be sure to move your HQs away from the hex before you move the combat units out of the hex.

Can we have a warning box to show if an HQ is going to be left alone - 'HQ will be isolated - move units yes/no'. This post is a good tip, but when the mouse goes to click overload, a hint box will save a lot of heart-ache. This mistake could break a game at a critical time and should have an on screen safety warning. [:)]

Actually I find that "cntl-1" works very well for now. Among other things, just before I end the turn I first hit "c" and insure that no units are out of range of their HQs then I hit "cntl-1" to highlight the HQs. I find that I can quickly spot lonely HQs by the "shape" of the highlighted stacks
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Seems a good idea to me too. Imagine, three quarters of an hour into the turn, you pushed around a zillion counters, and *poof* gone is your HQ.
That's a school of hard knocks indeed, it might become a gamebreaker for some though.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Formal suggestion has been made in development forum.

If you can't break the habit of mistake #1, at least try to get in the habit of pressing "Q" every so often so you can reduce the damage from mistake #1.
It's only a Game

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks very much.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
randallw

Post by randallw »

More tips to follow.

I am confused about this; why must the HQs be moved first? If the combat units move first, does that eliminate the HQ's movement points? Or is it some other problem, such as being in an enemy ZOC and they suffer some retreat attrition?

I have been reading the manual and I did not perceive any rules in there about suffering something awful if I move the HQs after the combat units. Of course I have been reading it while a bit tired.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

The way I understand it, the instant a HQ is alone and next to an enemy unit, it will be displaced.

It will also lose supply dumps when that happens.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.

Return to “The War Room”