Korean FITE?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

Korean FITE?

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey you guys.......you're all familiar with FITE ( Fire In The East ) I'm guessing, you know, how it's a big scenario and everything? I mean it's a monster with lots and lots of units and a map that's out of this world? Well, I'm wondering if anybody has done the same kind of monster scenario about the Korean Conflict ( 1950-1953 ). Or even more lately even( 2015 say). I'm just wondering. I'm a sucker for huge scenarios. Maybe we should do a poll about which is the most perfect scenario? I guess, however, that the beers & pretzels group would probably have a different opinion than the more academic among us. Some play just for fun and some play for the experience of a historical-what-if or to simulate the war and try out different strategic ( and sometimes tactical ) theories. But I ramble.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Boonierat

RE: Korean FITE?

Post by Boonierat »

I don't know of any, the bigger one is The Korean War 1950-53 available at RD but its roughly the same size as Norm's famous tutorial. The biggest KW game I know is a boardgame by The Gamers called Korea The Forgotten War in the Operational Combat Series, there's a very good VASSAL module for it but well, it's not TOAW...
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

By the way Larry, as a FITE fan you should definitely check Gary Grigsby's new monster [8D]:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/372 ... .1941-1945
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

By the way Larry, as a FITE fan you should definitely check Gary Grigsby's new monster [8D]:

Looks like a great game Boonie but...$80 [X(]
samba_liten

Post by samba_liten »

I was definitely getting it until the price tag put me back on the fence. I've got D21 and FITE for free, and i still haven't managed to finish a game of either... 
السلام عليكم
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

Yeah the price is tough I reckon.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I did one, made a huge map, bought a $100 hardcover out of print book Korean War Order of Battle: United States, United Nations, and Communist Ground, Naval, and Air Force, 1950-1953, created the units, programed the AI (NK only), and began to play test.

Then I don't know what happened to it but the SCE file is gone it just disappeared I am sure it is something I did, but that was two computers ago. I normally back up everything but it is not on any disks or external HD's. I just have not have the will to start over. [:(]

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Panzer War

Post by Panzer War »

Larry,

I doubt you will ever see a Korean scenario on such a massive scale as to compare to fite. there just simply aren’t the same amount of units available or area to fight over. By mid 51 most players will find it boring as the U.S. goes to a policy of a limited war in Korea. The only way I would envision it would be as a hypothetical in that the U.S. dose not limit the war in any way and starts a 3rd WW where UN forces would invade China.

I am working on a 5k map 152x201 at battalion level, day turns, for Korea but will not come near the scale of fite (only you can decide if it would satisfy your pallet).

Korea 50-53 is roughly twice the size as Korea 50-51.

Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

I got it it's worth every penny, I can't say enough good things about it. FitE is a great game but it is limited by TOAW engine here is a game that has one job and one job only War in the East and the AI works for both sides.

It's finally here the game so many have been begging for.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Double post
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

I am thinking of buying it, too. What i've seen looks very good. I got the entire e-book manual from a friend as a "decision helper" so to speak..

Nevertheless, i won't leave TOAW. Way too many ideas about scenarios to be designed (Salerno, Operation Diadem). Also, WitE is only limited to WWII Ostfront, and lacks the flexibility of TOAW. And happily looking forward to TOAW-4 (if ever)..
stone10

Post by stone10 »

The RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS of WITE is 2G RAM, but it takes 2s to move a unit for 5 hexes in the tutorial on my 4G RAM computer.[:(]

1_Lzard

Post by 1_Lzard »

ORIGINAL: stone10
The RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS of WITE is 2G RAM, but it takes 2s to move a unit for 5 hexes in the tutorial on my 4G RAM computer.[:(]

WoW! [X(]
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
samba_liten

Post by samba_liten »

I guess that makes my mind up. There is no way i will be able to run it on my little net book, is there? It doesn't even manage 1024*768 resolution.[:(]
السلام عليكم
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Korea at the squad level!!!!!

Somebody needs to do it!!!!

Larry, I think you just volunteered.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Korea at the squad level!!!!!

Somebody needs to do it!!!!

Larry, I think you just volunteered.

Somebody needs to sit down and drink a beer. Or maybe a case of beer. [8D]

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”