Got It - Some Nice Surprises

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Adam Parker

Got It - Some Nice Surprises

Post by Adam Parker »

As the international date line moves and a new day beckons over Europe and the States, Aussies have just finished their dinners and are surfing their TV's with the stark realisation that other than Modern Family, there ain't nothing there!

A select category of us though, have placed their purchases for War in the East and may have just finished downloading. Woo woo! I'm one [:)]

Here's some thoughts that may summarise what others have already said but also add some nice titbits:

The New Matrix Store - Welcome to Plimus

Yeah, I came to love the reliability of Digital River when my relationship with Matrix began. Always reliable with a no hassle shop front. Surprised I was to find my experience with Plimus equally kind. Clean interface, just a few steps to order.

The store could use a "remove from shopping cart" button as initially I opted to buy the boxed version but then I remembered the need for a partial manual might be obviated by a toy that I had (see below). However, there was no way to remove the box and replace it with the download option (I had to exit completely from the site and go back in).

That said, what a smooth shopping time. Once ordered the download link immediately showed and the confirmation email arrived. I experienced an immediate download start.

The Download

This is a big 600MB file and even with fast cable, I could only garner a 102kb/sec transfer rate. That said, the rate stayed constant throughout and the total download time of 1.5 hours swam by. Still, I was reminded of the days of 2-3 hour downloads and I was happy this was not the case here and I pity those who can only garner a 30-50kb/sec rate.

My download could have been faster but for some reason my Star Downloader manager that I adopted long ago on the advice of Erik here wouldn't fire up. I'm unsure if this was a restriction placed by Plimus' servers and I did note a request from Erik that if using the program, to please configure the manager to a single stream (and I usually run with 4).

So the regular Windows save pop-up greeted me and the download went ahead using Window's own intuition. It was a nail biting experience. The reason why I adopted Star Downloader resulted from a download via Digital River one time, that just continued to die mid-stream. Without it, I was sure that this would happen here too.

An hour went by. 15 minutes more... Down to 3 minutes... 10 seconds... Hey, it all worked fine! Clicked the unzip, entered the serial and pfft! The game was ready to play within minutes.

The Documentation

My biggest worry was that this game offered a 400-page tome of rules - and I'm a wargamer that struggles past 32 pages, GMT Games style!

This is why I thought that a boxed game version would be essential here given the need for constant reference to a myriad of things (I'd seen the interface of "Uncommon Valor", "War in the Pacific" and "War Between the States" and greatly been stumped by the latter).

Yet, I knew a couple of things thanks to the marketing efforts here and from the advice of Erik and Joel. Firstly, that any printed manual would come black and white. Secondly, that only 140 pages of the whole manual covering the UI would be provided in the box.

Kindle!

Thankfully, the game comes with two types of manuals: An eBook that for some reason shows 2 pages spread at a glance; and the Print Friendly version, that simply graces us with one page at a time.

Lo and behold, the latter PDF looks superb on a 9.7" Kindle DX screen. Just like any game manual that I own and have uploaded (see screen pic below).

Note, some of the grey scales in the manual do clash. I'm certain that this isn't a side-effect of the Kindle and will likely transfer that way onto the printed format too. After all, the PDF manual is a full-colored thing of beauty - but my Kindle saved me a bundle in cash too.

The Price

Despite the Australian dollar trading at 99 US cents today, Aussies were asked to pay $86AUD for a download and $96AUD for the "download + box + manual". But wait there's more! Add to the latter anywhere between $12AUD for slow mail and $30AUD for priority FedEx and that's roughly $125AUD for the game.

My Kindle therefore saved me a bucket and those with a good e-Reader might want to take this into consideration. Sure, had the printed manual been a color production (especially since it purposefully covers the interface), I'd likely have proceeded differently.

The Beauty

Much like many operational level PC wargames, units are furnished without their divisional or organisational affiliations being clearly marked for ease of note. In fact, the only operational level wargame that I've seen pull this off, may be WitE's closest competitor in content - Schwerpunkt's "Russo-German War".

Yet, whereas Ron Dockall could pull off great counters, his UI suffered from an outdated design.

2by3 Games, on the other hand has pulled off attractive cardboard-like unit counters in the best spirit of the board wargame genre, a fully modern interface - but my goodness, does their map ever shine!

I'll try to post a pic after this post as a brief illustration but if one wanted a wargame both for entertainment value and the ability to impart a geo-military lesson, this would be it.

What's more, from the elegant smooth mouse wheel zoom to mouse scroll, even at its most extreme zoom out, the map loses non of its charm. In my gaming room I sit with a beautifully framed map of Normandy, courtesy of some gorgeous game art by Mark Simonitch in his recently released boardgame "Normandy '44".

If I could print the map of WitE out and could find a way to frame it true size, I'd gladly sit with it too. It is an exceptional piece of PC programing and will set the standard for wargaming art to come. Well done team.

Oh and as for the UI? To me with very little time at it, it represents a far improvement over "World at War" and a big shift from the click-centric experience of "War in the Pacific". But hey - I've still got a lot to learn.

Speaking of the Learning Curve

Firing up the game was easy. Setting the side to play (Soviets) was a no brainer. Choosing the Scenario was a little harder because the word "Tutorial" didn't come first in the scenario's name but it was soon found. Boom! Before I knew it I was playing!

The playable map area for the tute was surprisingly small. The unit count very manageable. I hadn't read a word of the rules (or tute) and I managed to move my first unit (left click, right click). I right clicked an enemy unit and my first battle launched! Airpower from both sides automatically flew. And a series of turns later - I had a Soviet Minor Victory [:D] (I have to laugh because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing - but the thing is - I WAS DOING IT!).

Anyway, if I was worried about a game that would not be intuitive in the slightest, my fears then and there were subsided. I can manage this beast, I will manage this beast and bless 2by3 - for tool tips across its UI abound.

Summary

So friends, that's it for the first 2 hours from buying to playing. I trust that the AI will prove robust, that the military decision making will prove engrossing and that my time in game will be well worth it.

In the tute, snow fell on turn 2. It looked weird at first obscuring some of the beauty of the map and at first I was irritated by it (I think this graphical effect can be turned off). But then I began to feel physically cold (and it's a tropical summer night Down Under)...

I soon realised that this irritation was apt for an empathy had developed with my pixelated comrades fighting in that virtual snow.

No previous game's snowscape had ever given me that sense of immersion before, PC or board.

This game I believe, will be something special.

Happy gaming,
Adam.

(Edit: Cleared up some typos and clarified a couple of words).

Attachments
WitEKindle.jpg
WitEKindle.jpg (473.62 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Adam Parker

RE: Got It - Some Nice Surprises

Post by Adam Parker »

And those PC war game graphics like I've never seen before:

Attachments
WitEGraphics.jpg
WitEGraphics.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 245 times
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

nice report

i am seriously tempted by the Kindle - my son got one recently and raves about it
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
The playable map area for the tute was surprisingly small. The unit count very manageable. I hadn't read a word of the rules and I managed to move my first unit (left click, right click). A right clicked an enemy unit and my first battle launched! Airpower from both sides automatically flew. And a series of turns later - I had a Soviet Minor Victory [:D] (I have to laugh because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing - but the thing is - I WAS DOING IT!).

I felt very much like you Adam. I guess it's been all those operational Eastern front games I have played over the years: you just know what to do :)
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek
ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
The playable map area for the tute was surprisingly small. The unit count very manageable. I hadn't read a word of the rules and I managed to move my first unit (left click, right click). A right clicked an enemy unit and my first battle launched! Airpower from both sides automatically flew. And a series of turns later - I had a Soviet Minor Victory [:D] (I have to laugh because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing - but the thing is - I WAS DOING IT!).

I felt very much like you Adam. I guess it's been all those operational Eastern front games I have played over the years: you just know what to do :)

It's not that hard to pick up for even some of us relatively inexperienced -> WiR and Western Front were my previous experiences that most closely resemble this (and don't resemble it too much) and I was able to get a minor victory, too. I did not get a big head, though, because I think it's a very easy scenario and it was on EASY setting.

Edit: Big head is just for me. I can sometimes think I know what I'm doing and find out I'm not as far along as first thought.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

2by3 Games, on the other hand has pulled off attractive cardboard-like unit counters in the best spirit of the board wargame genre, a fully modern interface - but my goodness, does their map ever shine! It is an exceptional piece of PC programing and will set the standard for wargaming art to come. Well done team.

Thank you very much Adam, this was exactly what we artists tried aiming for. Given the workarounds, we had to fight with in the art department to make this come true, your two sentences make me very happy.
We already have some big improvements in the saddle bag for, god willing, a possible follow up title.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thank you Adam, excellent first impressions and glad you are enjoying the game!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Thank you guys and to 2by3. Today was an exciting day for those who love our hobby and a great cap to a year of exceptional releases in wargaming both PC and board.

My apologies though for the stack of typos in my post! [:D] It's great to find a game that can speak eloquently on it's own I think [;)]

Enjoy your success. Really great work Mark. It was a pleasure being part of the countdown for this one.

Cheers,
Adam.

(Edit: Typos in OP hopefully fixed [;)])
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Glad you are liking the game Adam.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
jimkehn

Post by jimkehn »

Hey I did the same thing....popped into the game tutorial and it didnt take long to pick up on mechanics....but..........the details.....OH MY....the details. So much to learn about the behind the scenes mechanisms. Great Game guys....cant wait to dig deeper. But sure looks realistic. I think if you wanna just do what is tactically and strategically sound you can play the game, and trust the engine to handle supply, replacecement, etc, correctly, then it isnt hard mechanically to play the game. Personally I like to learn the nuts and bolts and thats what will take some time and effort. Again.....great job!!!!!
Seydlitz69

Post by Seydlitz69 »

Iam reading the manual on my IPad with the GoodReader App. It looks great and it is in colour.
"He who has not fought the Germans does not know war". - British Military Aphorism
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

we had to fight with in the art department to make this come true

Thank you for fighting I could just hear the art dept now saying we could make some super cool 3D units that have animated combat, explosions, and blood, it will be awesome!

Call me an old bore but all I want is cardboard NATO counters and I am golden.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

very much Adam, this was exactly what we artists tried aiming for. Given the workarounds, we had to fight with in the art department to make this come true, your two sentences make me very happy.
We already have some big improvements in the saddle bag for, god willing, a possible follow up title.

Kindles are fantastic ... specially for game manuals - thing I like about the matrix manuals is the type face is nice and large on a kindle. Seriously - if you have a lot of big manuals it repays what you spend on it.
Swayin

Post by Swayin »

After a night playing the tut and then working through about 4 or 5 turns on the Road to Smolensk (wow it really IS possible to lose 250,000 men in one turn), I am blown away. So much depth to dig deeper into - forming new units, arranging divisions into corps - but what a gorgeous game from both a map and counter standpoint as well as the UI, which is far superior to anything from WitP, which until dethroned in my pantheon, still holds top spot as the greatest computer wargame ever. But WitE's elegance and depth have knocked me for a loop at first blush (the map is not just beautiful but its size and scope really make you understand the incredible vast open spaces involved -- it's HUGE) .... now I just have to wait to finish the work day, coach my daughter's 6th grade basketball team, and get the kids to bed before I can lay another finger on it! :(
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

sburke1959

Post by sburke1959 »

So several weeks ago my copy of Glantz' Barabarossa Derailed arrived. Been reading that and waiting to see how it plays out here. Tried the tutorial and like everyone else was very pleased by the ease of use. Have since jumped right in to the road to smolensk scenario as well.

The pace is amazing, it is one thing to read accounts of Barbarossa and another to follow it on a map like this. I am already a week behind the historical time line and felt I was losing control of the advance as it is. After decimating the Russian border forces to see these recon sightings of a massive buildup around Vitebsk while the panzer units are strung out ahead of the main body... well it is nerve racking.

Kudos to everyone involved in the development of this. I can't wait to set my hands on the full campaign but definitely want to get a lot more familiar with the mechanics of the game and try the typhoon campaign as well.

Thanks for making such a great Christmas gift.

Now on to Smolensk!
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Superb graphics and very solid gameplay. This one's an instant classic.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

must not.........use........credit............card........
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

must not.........use........credit............card........

Resistance is futile! [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Glad you are liking the game Adam.

Thanks Elmo. You know you're a long way to my trusting in the integrity of this game [;)]
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Swayin

After a night playing the tut and then working through about 4 or 5 turns on the Road to Smolensk (wow it really IS possible to lose 250,000 men in one turn)...

[:D] Awesome! You made me laugh out loud.

And thanks for the reminder from sburke about Glantz's new book on Barbarossa. It took a long while for that one to come out and I'd let it slip my mind. Sounds like a possible Xmas present from my wife [&o] [:)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”