Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

karonagames

Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1

Post by karonagames »

Now that H-Hour is upon us, the test team can start to offer support to all players as they face the monster that is GGWITE.

It became a tradition in the development forums, to post "Where did my HQs go?" threads. So to avoid any similar threads appearing here, you need to know that if HQs are left in a hex on their own, adjacent to enemy units, except when separated by an un-crossable hexside, they will displace 5-6 hexes and lose all their MPs and accumulated supplies.

In most of the scenarios and campaigns, several stacks will contain combat units and HQs that are adjacent to enemy units. Be sure to move your HQs away from the hex before you move the combat units out of the hex.

More tips to follow.
It's only a Game

Dr. Foo

RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1

Post by Dr. Foo »

Good to know thank you.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Do not forget to use your FBD and NKPS units to rebuild torn railway tracks. After moving/attacking with so many units it can be easily forgotten, and you're front units will regret the lack of supply.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Any Soviet 43 and on questions I can try to answer.

Any fearless German 43 players yet? (Bob is that fair?)...[:)]
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Not technically a noob mistake, but something that confuses new players:

Movement costs contain a morale element, so low morale units such as Rumanian and Italian Axis Allies will use up more MPs, and often will "refuse" to move into enemy ZOCs even though it looks like they have sufficient MPs.
It's only a Game

Rotherman

Post by Rotherman »

I started by going to the 44-45 campaign, and watched as the Russians destroyed several units around Vitebsk and Mogilev. Meanwhile the Germans have some nice Panzer units in AG North Ukraine. I believe that historically Hitler forbade them to move, because he thought the Russians were to do a right hook. It seems that when moving units you click on every unit you don't want to move on the screen on the right. This leaves you with the ones to move. Suffering from combat fatigue already.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

My most infamous post on the development forums: "Why Can't I attack!!!"

Reply: "Errrr... Bob, you are in Transport Mode"

If in doubt;press F1 to get yourself into Move Mode.
It's only a Game

Schmart

Post by Schmart »

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

Do not forget to use your FBD and NKPS units to rebuild torn railway tracks. After moving/attacking with so many units it can be easily forgotten, and you're front units will regret the lack of supply.

I may be an idiot, but I can't seem to find any specific references in the manual to rail repair actions. It talks alot about supply tracing etc. I can't figure out how to repair my rail lines. I'm probably missing something obvious...
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Schmart, see 14.2.2.2 in the manual on page 197 for a description of manual rail repair. Right before that you'll find a description of the automated repair.

WitE Alpha Tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Use the index to find things in the manual. For rail repair, check page 195, section 14.2.2.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

You move the RR unit to a rail line and then there will be a repair icon (the RRC button) there is also automatic repairs coming from various HQ units.

From the manual:

Railroad Repair Value (RRV): A numerical value based on the number of construction support units attached to a railroad repair unit (FBD or NKPS) that delineates the maximum number of hexes a railroad repair unit can be from a railhead and still repair damaged rail line hexes.

Railroad Repair Cost (RRC): The cost in movement points for a railroad repair unit (FBD or NKPS) to repair a damaged railroad hex.

Railroad Repair Cost (RRC): FBD and NKPS rail repair units only.
»»Displays when FBD or NKPS unit is in a hex with a damaged railroad, with a number that is the MP cost to repair the railroad. Selecting RRC button will repair the railroad (14.2.1.1).

More specifically see: 5.3.1.4. FBD/NKPS RAIL REPAIR on page 61 of the manual.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

No, you are not an idiot, and it is not obvious to a beginner. When you highlight the repair unit that is on a damaged hex you will see numbers next to the letters RRC. Click on "RRC" and the rail is repaired and you use the remaining MPs to move to another hex and repair that.

Attachments
FBD.jpg
FBD.jpg (158.33 KiB) Viewed 554 times
It's only a Game

Schmart

Post by Schmart »

I appreciate the quick response guys. I will read up when I get home. It felt like I had looked through the manual 3-4 times trying to find a reference to rail repair, but I obviously missed it. Other than my lack of rail lines so far [:)] , the look and feel of the game is great.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Again, in the manaul [LIGHT]see page 61: 5.3.1.4. FBD/NKPS RAIL REPAIR for a detailed example.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

There's a ton of stuff to absorb in this game, and the learning curve is substantial, so nobody should feel shy about questions.

WitE Alpha Tester
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Biggest mistake if you intend to play PBEM: Play as if you are playing the AI.

There is a big difference between playing the AI and playing a Human. A human will look for every opportunity to mess up supply lines and displace HQs not stacked with combat units. Against the AI you might get away with a 2 hex gap between units, against a human you risk being isolated and possibly routed if there are enough units in range to counter-attack.

If you intend to play PBEM, then don't be too lax when you play the AI or you will get hurt when playing a human.
It's only a Game

rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: Schmart

I appreciate the quick response guys. I will read up when I get home. It felt like I had looked through the manual 3-4 times trying to find a reference to rail repair, but I obviously missed it. Other than my lack of rail lines so far [:)] , the look and feel of the game is great.

I see the rest of the team answered you, I have to live real life during the day and go online late at night that's why I couldn't reply you before.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

There's a ton of stuff to absorb in this game, and the learning curve is substantial, so nobody should feel shy about questions.

OK, I'll bite. My dumb question is:

On the unit counters, what do the the 1, 2, or 3 dashes between the combat value and movement mean?
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

The number of dashes indicates the counter display mode. Single dash means the counter is displaying Attacking CV and MPs; 2 dashes is Attacking CV and Defensive CV including fortification modifiers.

3 dashes? Where are you seeing them? You sometimes get a ? which shows the the Detection Level(DL) is low and that the figures on the counter are inaccurate.
It's only a Game

Schmart

Post by Schmart »

OK, so if I understand correctly the rail repair process from the manual: You have a handful of RR units that you can manually use to repair rail lines, while any HQ units with construction subunits will have the subunits fan out automatically and repair any damaged rail lines within the HQs range.

As a game process, will you want to split up your RR units to repair more lines? And if your HQs 'help' RR, you will want to hold your HQs back a bit to repair damaged lines?

Return to “The War Room”