Games about "DUNE"??

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

diablo1

Games about "DUNE"??

Post by diablo1 »

List me games and links if you can for games about DUNE please. With all these new 4x strategy games out these days I'd really like to see a new strategy game of DUNE. Maybe I missed it?
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
comte

RE: Games about "DUNE"??

Post by comte »

There is an excellent Dune Wars mod for Civilization IV

Here's their forum [:)]

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

There's the Dune emulator, which is a pc version of the boardgame.There's no single player, though.
uncc

Post by uncc »

Other than the mod for CivIV, doesn't look like there is anything new for Dune. There are these, but they're all old in the tooth...

Dune 2000

Emperor: Battle for Dune

Dune II
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its been a few years since we made Dune 2000 & Emperor but they were good fun games in their time. I don't think they stack up to the modern competition now though. Its been nearly 10 years since I looked at them!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Thanks for those links guys..I don't even remember the Emperor one?
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I haven't played Emperor: Battle for Dune yet, but of all the other games in the Dune series, I liked Dune II best.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

I actually liked the adventure one best. It had simple combat mechanics and a story driven game going around the planet trying to find out about Dune.
Igard

Post by Igard »

The first Dune was an incredible game. *SPOILERS*I remember being devastated when the Duke died, it was so sad. Wonderful characters and a nice story that had a few welcome differences from both the book and the film just to make it interesting.

Dune II was a piece of pioneering genius, loved it. Emperor: Battle for Dune was much the same but never really kept me interested for as long.

That Civ IV mod looks very interesting indeed.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Going out on a limb here since the game had nothing to do with Dune, but Emperor of the Fading Sons.  5 noble houses fighting over the vacant throne of emperor of the known worlds, the church of Holy Terra, symbiot aliens, and best of all, each planet surface was huge with continents and oceans.  Only space conquest game i can think of where building a wet navy on a planet actually was usefull (or even an option)  Up to 20 units on nato-esque counters could stack on a hex, nice mixture of high tech and low tech troops and a pretty compelling story line as well,  felt really Dune like... Game is over 10 year old now though, would be a great remake....
CptHowdy

Post by CptHowdy »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Its been a few years since we made Dune 2000 & Emperor but they were good fun games in their time. I don't think they stack up to the modern competition now though. Its been nearly 10 years since I looked at them!

would fit right in here at matrix then! slap a new paint job on em, add some units and then sell it for brand new prices. or just package them together and offer support in the form of a new patch, maybe sell it for a discounted price of 29.99 if you own previous versions.
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

I still play EFS with mods. Superb game and I wish someone would do a remake true to the original. Problem with remakes is they usually stink compared to the original though.
ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

Going out on a limb here since the game had nothing to do with Dune, but Emperor of the Fading Sons.  5 noble houses fighting over the vacant throne of emperor of the known worlds, the church of Holy Terra, symbiot aliens, and best of all, each planet surface was huge with continents and oceans.  Only space conquest game i can think of where building a wet navy on a planet actually was usefull (or even an option)  Up to 20 units on nato-esque counters could stack on a hex, nice mixture of high tech and low tech troops and a pretty compelling story line as well,  felt really Dune like... Game is over 10 year old now though, would be a great remake....
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ORIGINAL: Sheytan

I still play EFS with mods. Superb game and I wish someone would do a remake true to the original. Problem with remakes is they usually stink compared to the original though.
ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

I still own the disk and should try an dfigure out to get it running on xp, it was a lot of fun.. i agree , if someone remade it they would likly screw it up royally, ditch ground combat and make the space battles realtime, booo :)
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Is emperor battle for dune available anywhere digitally? I have always wanted to try that. I was nuts for dune2. First dune was excellent too allthough it was more like adventure.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I had recently tried the Dune mod for Civ IV, but it is not quite up to my fancy.

The old adventure-like version from the Amiga was a nice trip down nostalgia lane. It really is sad to see the adventure game series come to halt... I guess developers felt too pressured trying to compete vs the Myst series... After the Syberia brand, I do no think anything else ever came on the scene worth mentioning.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

Return to “General Discussion”