Missing pics in database

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
jdkbph

Missing pics in database

Post by jdkbph »

Not a critical issue by any means... but I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or perhaps my installation is not complete or something.

In the Ultimate version of ANW, it seems like most (as in the majority) of units in any of the scenarios I've looked at so far do not have pictures associated with them.

The viewer works fine, so it's not that error that's been reported elsewhere. It's just that there is no pic to display.

Is this as designed?

Thanks

JD
JD
roeddog

RE: Missing pics in database

Post by roeddog »

jd

This post may resolve your problem

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2614706

scroll to msg #12

jeff
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

Thanks, but that's the media viewer error I referred to above. This is not that.

I'm referring to missing pics. They just don't seem to exist at all. For example, if you play the dawn patrol scenario (Norway, HUD db), you'll find that none of the units have pics available in the database. The media viewer is not failing or crashing or anything. It just says "picture not available" or words to that effect.

JD

PS. I installed the latest versions of HUCE and ANW, and that's it. I did not install any of the legacy versions.
JD
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

There aren't images for most units.  The primary challenge is finding enough time to track down royalty free images for the platforms.  Darren Buckley has put a tremendous amount of time into the effort (and saved us a lot of time with HC images as a result).  Then you have to format them and match them up to the database entries, all time consuming work that very few people are willing to do.  There are a lot of images/models with the game, often when there is media there are multiple per platform type.

Anyway, I doubt you are missing pics, there just weren't pics included for many platforms.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

OK thanks. That's what I wanted to know... it's not me doing something stupid.

[:)]

And I can appreciate the effort it must take to locate the thousands of pictures needed.

So my next question then:

Is there a way for users to add pictures?

Is it possible to create "picture packs" for personal use and perhaps sharing with the community... like mods and scenarios are shared?

Thanks.

JD
JD
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: jdkbph

OK thanks. That's what I wanted to know... it's not me doing something stupid.

[:)]

And I can appreciate the effort it must take to locate the thousands of pictures needed.

So my next question then:

Is there a way for users to add pictures?

Is it possible to create "picture packs" for personal use and perhaps sharing with the community... like mods and scenarios are shared?

Thanks.

JD

JD,

Thanks for the kind words in relation to the "photo library" effort. Tony has covered a lot of the detail, I'll chime in here and attempt to explain the rest...

As Tony pointed out, the primary concern we had was to find images we could use without having to pay an unknown amount of precious development funds on what was for owners of the games a free update. Luckily for everyone, the United States Government has a policy of making photos taken by Military personnel pass into the Public Domain. You guys pay taxes that fund the military and in effect they are the property of the US tax payer. In Australia like most Commonwealth countries, such photos have to be at least 50 or 55 years old before they fall into the public domain. They are what we call Crown Copyright and I wasn't about to drop Queen Elizabeth a line asking if she'd let me add some photos to the Harpoon family of games...[:)]

My first effort had been to resize the original Harpoon 2 images and insert new photos into the existing PCX file type display. Within a short period of time AGSI was able to secure a deal with the US Naval Institute to release a special USNI version of ANW. Don Gilman asked if I could find enough photos to add to the new (at the time) Harpoon Media Viewer for the USNI version of ANW. Once I read about the Public Domain status of the US Dept of Defense images I took the decision my Grandfather had told me not to (Volunteers take one step forward...). The platform images you have access to in ANW and I believe HCE are based on a listing I was presented with that, matched the special USNI scenarios and what was considered "important". In case you hadn't guessed, Submarines were not a priority...

Now I know I'm missing a lot of photos from the platforms available in the HUD3. Have I stopped compiling and collecting them? No. In fact before I saw your post I was adding some more photos to the library. The "in work" version of the HUD3 currently has 781 Ship Classes of which, 308 are missing an image or have not had a photo index number applied. The ANW Database uses a simple numbering system to select the image from those available in the Resource folder. Now I'm a little behind in keeping track of what is shipped by default with the game. However this is a listing of the total number of image sets I have completed here for use with the HUD3:

Ships: 472 of 781 Classes
Submarines: 97 of 126 Classes
Aircraft: 519 of 580 Types

I haven't been able to update the available photo sets as yet due to the size of the collection and a lack of webspace access. I'd also like somebody to let me know how many folders each of the image directories has. For a default installation the folders can be found here:

C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare\Resource\DBPics\Plane - 340 Folders\299MB
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare\Resource\DBPics\Ship - 324 Folders\190MB
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare\Resource\DBPics\Sub - 69 Folders\37.5MB

I've also added additional HUD3 only images from those distributed with the game. AGSI has also been able to add the larger "Military Artwork" images since the original project was completed.

Now for the answers to your specific questions JD.

Q:Is there a way for users to add pictures?

Yes, anyone can add pictures to their own collection or make additional pictures available to the community. If you're going to release these you'd need to abide by any Copyright obligations, as I have been offered images that I had to reject due to possible infringement issues. I've added at least one photo I've taken at the biannual Australian International Airshow (Singaporean A-4S Skyhawk), and plan on hitting it again in March for some new original material. If you wish to add to the collection for community usage and you wish to keep the current numbering system, I better publish the current listings and I'm more than happy to undertake the editing of the images to fit the Media viewer.

Q: Is it possible to create "picture packs" for personal use and perhaps sharing with the community... like mods and scenarios are shared?

I've already covered part of this answer in my response to your first question. Again Copyright is the major concern with any material you intend to distribute publicly. I am happy to offer a more detailed description of the process and assign index values so the entire series (Current HUD3/ANW/HCE + User contributions) remains in sync. An example of this might be where the HUD3 has Ship image 001 assigned to the T-AKR 287 Algol class fast Sealift ship. If you added a folder and named it 001 and then placed say photos of the ANZAC class FFG, the ANZAC will be displayed in place of the Algol.

The photos are interchangeable between Databases as long as the index numbers are followed and the relevant database Editor uses the same value for the same platform. This is the reason I created an index listing, communal use of a resource. I didn't do this to force people into using the HUD3 or ANWDB since they use the same index to display images.

I've created a composite image of the Algol's images shown below. The image on the left is a copy of the original Harpoon 2 display, while the image on the right is, as luck would have it the identical image that was used in Harpoon 2 but simply edited to fit the Harpoon Media Viewer.

Cheers

Darren

Attachments
AlgolComparison.jpg
AlgolComparison.jpg (347.41 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
loutreck

Post by loutreck »

hi,

where can i find the assignment between ship/plane/sub types and the directory names?

br
Lou
itchy01ca

Post by itchy01ca »

Pretty sure if you drop the Defense Departments of most Commonwealth countries a line, they will hook you guys up with images. I know here in Canada we don't have a problem with using unclassified DND photos anywhere. 
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: loutreck

hi,

where can i find the assignment between ship/plane/sub types and the directory names?

br
Lou

Lou,

If you have a Database Editor, simply open the relevant database and the directory name/number will be displayed in the Picture Index field.

Screen capture with highlighted database Picture Index field.

Cheers

Darren

Attachments
PlatformP..signment.jpg
PlatformP..signment.jpg (150.9 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: 441.tfs.caf

Pretty sure if you drop the Defence Departments of most Commonwealth countries a line, they will hook you guys up with images. I know here in Canada we don't have a problem with using unclassified DND photos anywhere. 

There's something called Crown Copyright, it lasts for 50 years... I considered contacting the DoD here in Australia in the end I didn't need to as the US DVIC images are already public domain and both Canada and Australia exercise with the USN so often I was able to find images for most Commonwealth nations (UK, Canada & Australia).

Cheers

Darren

Return to “Tech Support”