buy on release?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

bairdlander2

buy on release?

Post by bairdlander2 »

Buy on release or wait for first impressions?
typhoon

RE: buy on release?

Post by typhoon »

Got a feeling this one will break the servers when the release goes up.
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Sadly I don't think any TBS (turn-based strategy) games, particularly deep, big TBS games ever "break servers" haha.

This is a niche market sold to a niche crowd. However I do hope it makes some money for the companies involved at least.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I'm in when it's up for sale!
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Spechtmeise

Post by Spechtmeise »

@bairdlander

you buy on release, I'll wait for your impressions. How's that?
Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get Me!
animaluk

Post by animaluk »

I want it now[:D]
Zemke

Post by Zemke »

Do what you want, I know this will be the best Eastern Front Operational Simulation ever, it has been too long for it not to be.
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I probably won't be around when it goes up. I will probably read some consumer comments and then decide when to pull the trigger. Most likely a buy, but I do enjoy researching purchases to death... as my wife says. [:D]
Mark
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

LOL. Has anyone clicked a link and tried to buy the screenshot pack [:D]

I thought it was the game!
Mannock

Post by Mannock »

For me, it's a buy on release. I know what I need to know to buy it without waiting for reviews and other comments.
Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.
AlesMrak

Post by AlesMrak »

I'm buying on release, period.

br.
Dr.Jones
Modding tools for TOW and IL2 series (archive extractor and 3d model converter)

Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Stratocruiser

@bairdlander

you buy on release, I'll wait for your impressions. How's that?

Done! I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts after the tutorial. I have been on the back burner regarding wargaming for several months due to health issues and a vision problem. Things have finally improved and a game I have been long awaiting is due to release,you bet I'm getting it release day one. If it comes out on the 7th t can be the perfect anniversary gift,for me that is.[:D]
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

I've already bought this game in my dreams many times before today.  [;)]
You can bet I'll be buying it ASAP when it releases.  I've been a huge fan of GG and JB way back when they were making games at SSI.  Did I mention I'm a big fan of GG and JB, just not in a stalking way.  [:D]

There it goes again, my credit card keeps jumping out of my wallet every time I mention WitE.  [:'(]
wmcalpine

Post by wmcalpine »

Kirkgregerson,

I am in the same boat with my credit card. Perhaps we can set up a PBEM after the new year. I yearn for a little revenge (I know, not very probable) after you kicked my backside in out last AT game.

Bill
ratdeath

Post by ratdeath »

I'll buy it on release!
Even if it might need a patch or two it's worth it and I think the games Matrix sell have a good track record of getting patches and support after release (and long after).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Buy on release or wait for first impressions?
Warspite1

Definite buy on release - no question about it [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

ORIGINAL: wmcalpine

Kirkgregerson,

I am in the same boat with my credit card. Perhaps we can set up a PBEM after the new year. I yearn for a little revenge (I know, not very probable) after you kicked my backside in out last AT game.

Bill

Sounds good to me. Well good to know I did well in some AT games, mostly remember getting my butt kicked around the block and back. First of the year sounds good as it will give us time to get through learning curve a bit. Now I just need to figure out how to hack into my HR dept db and add another zero to the end of my vac hrs. [:D]
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

ORIGINAL: Dr.Jones

I'm buying on release, period.

+1
fsp

Post by fsp »

Ready to click F5 several times tomorrow and the day after until I can buy :-)

Lützow

Post by Lützow »

The East Front fascinated me from when I was a 14-years-old boy and my grand uncle (grandpa got KIA 1945 near Danziger Bucht) told me about his reminiscences from Russia, the ice cold nights, heavy fights and how they made fire under their tanks to unfreeze the motor. We had no Cosims here back then, but I devoured the books from Carell, Manstein, Guderian and 'reenacted' by drawing maps and utilizing toy soldiers. [:D]

I also never got to play WiR, so cannot draw comparisons, but my expectations are set very high in regard to a worthy 'successor' of the never released Road to Moscow and what Grigsby delivered in the heyday of his monster games (the era from BoB until WitP). That said, now the WitE release is imminent, I still worry a bit about the level of detail and micro management is deep enough and not sacrificed for greater 'accessibility', like we saw in later 2by3 productions. The price is only a minor concern for me, however, everything else but the mother of all East Front games, solely to be topped from a Fieldmarshall's Edition, would be a let-down.

On the other hand I have faith into the beta tester verdicts and of course Mr. Grigsby's extraordinary design skills. So I'm going to buy WitE immediately after release.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”