OT: HMS Invincible up for sale

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lomri

OT: HMS Invincible up for sale

Post by Lomri »

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/11/29/just-in-time-for-the-holidays/

Now you know what to ask for for Christmas! If you buy over $50 it is free delivery. That helps, the engines are stripped out already.
crsutton

RE: OT: HMS Invincible up for sale

Post by crsutton »

I would buy it but who could afford to pay the utility bills......?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, but then you'd have a carrier with no no aircraft to fly from it.  And who'd be daft enough to do a thing like that?.........
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Yeah, but then you'd have a carrier with no no aircraft to fly from it.  And who'd be daft enough to do a thing like that?.........
Someone like me. A couple of years ago the DOD sold me a ICBM launch control center (Juilet 0). Couldn't turn it down. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

It was this ship, or her sister, which was docked several hundred yards away from my clunky tanker, in an Oman port in 2002. Quite freindly crew. Lifted a pint or two with the lads, at the little 'western' compound on the hill outside the port gate. My ship was acting as a floating gas station for B-1 bomber unit at the time. This was also the first and only time I got to see the 'Rising Sun', which was flying from a Japanese cruiser anchored across the quay.
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

It was this ship, or her sister, which was docked several hundred yards away from my clunky tanker, in an Oman port in 2002. Quite freindly crew. Lifted a pint or two with the lads, at the little 'western' compound on the hill outside the port gate. My ship was acting as a floating gas station for B-1 bomber unit at the time. This was also the first and only time I got to see the 'Rising Sun', which was flying from a Japanese cruiser anchored across the quay.

From witP play you didnt get 'itchy trigger' syndrome ? [;)]
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Actually, I was surprised to see the imfamous ensign. Being a child of the 'fifties' I assumed the Japanese naval mission was still defensive............never epected to see the Japanese battle 'colors' again. The ensign, and the ship, was quite impressive.............and in a way........spooky, even!
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Makes for a great fishing boat!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

It's a shame to see Great Britain's fleet being dwindled down so. I assume Invincible's sale to the 'breakers' is an economic consequence of the times, or does Britain have a replacement in mind?
AndyDuke

Post by AndyDuke »

Two new fleet carriers, Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales due for 2014/2015 I think.
FOW

Post by FOW »

Whilst the first (QE) is expected to launch around that time, commissioning will be a couple years later. The second (POW) has been 'delayed' due to economic spending cuts [:(]
Worst still the F-35 aircraft are not due to come into service until 2021 [X(]
To cover the 10 years fixed wing naval aviation capability gap, the UK Government is negotiating with the French to "share" the Charles de Gaulle nuclear CV [&:]

and 1 in 4 of us civvies working with the military in the Ministry of Defence will loose our jobs in the next 4 years.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Actually, I was surprised to see the imfamous ensign. Being a child of the 'fifties' I assumed the Japanese naval mission was still defensive............never epected to see the Japanese battle 'colors' again. The ensign, and the ship, was quite impressive.............and in a way........spooky, even!

When I read your first post on this I took for granted you meant the red sun on white field - but you mean they actually were flying the rising sun flag (the one with the sun burst)?
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Yes, witpqs; not the meatball, the rising sun, which you are aware, is the battle flag. I have been to Japan several times in my earlier carreer, particularly the Sasebo and Yokusuka areas; never saw it then, that I can remember. It was quite a surprise to see it in 2002. A proud tradition, apparently, has kept that sun from setting.
Regards
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Wow! I sort of thought it had been outlawed for the Japanese military. Did you get pictures (I know they wouldn't be digital for posting here, I'm just curious if you got one for a keepsake)?
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Will the new CV's be standard design or the smaller type, as used by Harrier air craft.
The thumping of Lord Nelson's wooden parts against cathedral stone must echo loudly in Admiralty halls, every time the Chares de Gaul gently vibrates her stern through the English Channel.
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Wow! I sort of thought it had been outlawed for the Japanese military.
The rising sun flag that was "outlawed" was the original Army version (with the 'meatball' in the centre) nowdays the JSDF uses a (slightly?) different flag, the Navy Ensign, that has the slightly offset 'sun' is still in use.

See the photos here:
http://budousha.jugem.jp/?eid=500
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

witpqs; I took pictures at the time but unfortunately never had them developed. The film is still around the house, somewhere. I also took pictures of the Brit flat top. I also got pulled over by Oman security for running around the place with a camera. I also got pulled over for questioning on my passport. etc., etc.
It was a quite memorable time, all in all.
I will check for the film and see if it's still good.
I'm sure seeing that flag flying over a Japanese warship will still send a chill to most. It was spooky!
I don't think it was outlawed. This wasn't a dinky 3 x 5 they flew; closer to 2 or 3 times that. The Brit carrier was in port at the time; maybe they were talking to one another.
At that time, we were warned (by US military) not show US colors.
Regards
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Yes, the 'Rising Sun' was centered somwhat below the horizontal center of the flag. Than you amattucci.
Now I just have to find those films.
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

Will the new CV's be standard design or the smaller type, as used by Harrier air craft.
The thumping of Lord Nelson's wooden parts against cathedral stone must echo loudly in Admiralty halls, every time the Chares de Gaul gently vibrates her stern through the English Channel.

They just changed their order for the F-35s, from the VTOL F-35B to the conventional F-35C, that the US Navy will acquire and are now planning to install a catapult on the QE. This is probably to ensure compatibility with the French navy and perhaps also because there is some doubt about the F-35B, which has a much shorter range and is proving the most difficult and costly to develop.
Xxzard

Post by Xxzard »

I for one am not too angry about military spending cuts. I would rather play games about old wars than have all the worlds' nations armed to the teeth ready to fight a new one.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”