Question on overstacking....

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

GBS

Question on overstacking....

Post by GBS »

How does this work and what effect does it have in WitE? Vic in his Decisive Campaigns does a good job with this I feel. In the Wargamer AAR it mentions Rostov being attacked by three full Corps. Seems like a lot of men and machines in a relatively small area. Just trying to get a feel. Thanks.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Joel Billings

RE: Question on overstacking....

Post by Joel Billings »

You can stack 3 units in a hex. Starting in 1942, the Soviets can start building various types of Corps units, so eventually they can stack 3 corps in a hex. The Germans can only manage 3 divisions in a hex. Support units can be added to these units so you can beef them up some.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

90.000 men in a 10x10 mile hex is a high density, but it's not impossible in practice. The best the Axis can get is about 50.000-54.000 men.

As Joel indicated, overstacking a hex is not really possible as there's a fixed limit on the number of on-map units in the hex. You can overburden HQ's, but you can't overstack a hex. It is possible for more on-map units to participate in the battle if they're in reserve mode and have enough MP's to participate in the battle. Keep in mind that units in reserve mode that participate in the battle can take serious losses and rout. Placing Soviets units in reserve mode in 1941 outside of an urban area is usually a quick way to have the Axis break both your first and second lines of defence.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
GBS

Post by GBS »

Joel, how many units can attack a single hex? I f you had three units attacking a hex from three sides...wouldn't that be 9 units actually moving into that hex to attacK?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, you can attack with as many units as are adjacent and have MPs.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: GBS

Joel, how many units can attack a single hex? I f you had three units attacking a hex from three sides...wouldn't that be 9 units actually moving into that hex to attacK?

How many sides HEX has? [;)]

That many HEXEs you can attack from (and in best case scenario - attack from 6 HEXes and for each HEX with 3 units = 18 units)!

But it is important to notice that units do not move into won HEX after successful attack - you have to manually move units after battle...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

A ~25 unit (attacker+defender+reserves) battle would be interesting, but it's highly unlikely, unless you split divisions up. I believe the most I've seen thus far for a divisional sized battle was a 15 division battle (12 Rifle divisions vs 3 German divisions).

To add something to Leo's comment: hex ownership does change if you force a defender to retreat/rout/shatter/surrender, but no units actually physically move into the hex as Leo stated.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
TPM

Post by TPM »

ORIGINAL: GBS

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me like the OP's question isn't being totally answered...the question is: Is there some kind of penalty on the attacker for using too many units in an attack? It's been answered that 3 units can be in a hex at one tim and that a hex can be attacked from all sides (which would result in 18 units attacking a single hex...yes, I know it doesn't happen that often, but theoretically it can happen), but is there any kind of penalty for that? The basis for the penalty would be overcrowding, friendly fire (I know that's more of a tactical/squad-based thing), confused communication, etc. Thanks.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

The only penalty involved with having too many units attack is if too many different commands are involved. Command related penalties can lower your combat values by as much as 30%, so it is important to try to coordinate your attacks so that participating units are from as few headquarters as possible, or failing that, from headquarters near the same position in the hierarchy.

Generally speaking, once units from different Army Groups or Fronts get into the fight, the penalties increase. This applies to both the defender and attacker, note.
WitE Alpha Tester
The SNAFU

Post by The SNAFU »

So what if the hexes around a defending hex were all at maximum stacking and the defending stack (also at maximum stacking) was forced to retreat. Since all surrounding hexes are at maximum stacking would the defenders be destroyed since they cant retreat through overstacked hexes or can they retreat through but not stop in hexes with maiximum stacks?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

They will continue to retreat until they reach a hex where they can stack normally and take additional damage in the process.
WitE Alpha Tester
The SNAFU

Post by The SNAFU »

Got it, thanks!
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”