Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Erik Rutins

RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Evil Steve
Interesting list, Erik. As an aside, is there a way in the expansion to nuance your automated ship design? Design for speed, or defence,or attack, or range etc??

Yes, have a look at this:

Attachments
DWReturnof..akturi14.jpg
DWReturnof..akturi14.jpg (288.73 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

A few more screenshots that may be of interest:

Attachments
DWReturnof..akturi12.jpg
DWReturnof..akturi12.jpg (269.42 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Found this just floating around - look back at this screenshot after you've played the expansion. [8D]

Attachments
DWReturnof..akturi13.jpg
DWReturnof..akturi13.jpg (355.21 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Erik, did you guys include star trek style beam weapons ( phasers ) in the expansion?  If so....could you provide a screenshot?
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
malisle

Post by malisle »

Hi! Are there any changes in game editor; can we add resources manually now?

Keep up the good work,I really like what I see =)

lancer

Post by lancer »

G'day,

Looking good.

Wondering if there is anything in the expansion that allows the player to tweak the prevelance of resources or if there are any changes to the games underlying resource model?

Cheers,
Lancer
Arboris

Post by Arboris »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Improving visibility is on our list. We hope the new revamped empire policy and empire summary screens will help with that, as well as some of the other interface improvements. We have not changed the font, but some of the other improvements make reading small text less necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Sounds good, thank you.

-ZeroSum
hondo1375

Post by hondo1375 »

Hi Erik, glad to hear the expansion is on the way. I posted something a couple of months ago after the last patch concerning bugs and niggles and I wonder if any of them are fixed/addressed in the expansion. It doesn't specify them although there is a catch-all that they could fall under. Thanks!

-------------------

1. The interface. It is certainly not the worst game interface, but I feel I'm wrestling with it a lot:
a. The system zoom key often just zooms me into blank space. b. One of the zoom keys often zooms me into a full screen of a star (why would I ever want that view?). c. There are references to system names and moons that aren't clickable and there appears no easy way to find them. d. I can't disable automate from the bottom left ship card, but have to go into another screen. Etc. I'm sure over time these will be cleaned up, but they are frustrating right now.

2. Fuel. In principle, this is a good mechanic, but the current execution is often frustrating. For example, I had a fleet on an offensive in a distant enemy system, and I was moving a resupply ship into place to deploy to refuel the fleet. However, the fleet was low on fuel. Even though the ships were set to manual, they started warping away to refuel at a distant star which would have put them out of action for a long time. If they'd hung around a few more minutes they could have refueled at the resupply ship. I kept grabbing them manually and bringing them back. It felt like herding cats in the end and I gave up. Some way to disable this automated behaviour would be welcome.

More to the point, I think some mechanic where tankers can be sent with fleets and auto refuel the fleet would take a lot of the pain out of this. Other games and RL do it like this, so why not? Also, tankers set to auto should be able to fly around your empire tracking down out of fuel ships limping around and auto refuel them Currently, micomanaging this is zero fun. Amateurs might study strategy, while professionals study logistics, but that's because strategy is a lot more fun than logistics.

3. Lots of little niggles. For example:
a. Sometimes automated constructors get caught in black holes: I can build stuff fine around a black hole if I micro manage, but the game isn't about micromanaging.
b. I cued up a whole fleet at a planet that never got build, although they appeared as under construction in the ship list. A bug, perhaps?
c. I had a supply ship that had filled itself up with hydrogen but when the fleet upgraded to argon-driven reactors I couldn't empty it and therefore couldn't refuel anything. Also, it would be nice to be able to load up resupply ships at spaceports, rather than having to extract at stars only.

--------------
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The two new races are part of the storyline, so not playable races (at least at release). However, one of them is robotic - the other as you can probably guess is the Shakturi. I don't want to spoil the storyline, so I can't say much more than that.

Improving visibility is on our list. We hope the new revamped empire policy and empire summary screens will help with that, as well as some of the other interface improvements. We have not changed the font, but some of the other improvements make reading small text less necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks.

I imagine...
The Shakturi on their way with their minion race of robots leading the way. Distant Worlds galaxy seems certainly doomed to be conquered.

Some unforeseen and unusual event causes the robotic minion race to become independent of the Shakturi. The robotic race arrives first in the galaxy and decides to prepare to face their former masters who will also soon arrive. The robotic race cares little for the galaxy races but will consider cooperating with them to better confront the Shakturi.

Now, it seems, the Distant Worlds galaxy races MAY have a chance to compete with the Shakturi. It may require much cooperation... or much conquering.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

argh, now i dont want to play non expansion distant worlds [:(]
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

argh, now i dont want to play non expansion distant worlds [:(]

[:D] I'm trying desperately to finish the couple of games I've got going before the expansion renders them unplayable. I know what you mean though. It's worse when you have to build a fleet of ships and you know it's going to be easier with the new mass-produce funtions.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I imagine...
The Shakturi on their way with their minion race of robots leading the way. Distant Worlds galaxy seems certainly doomed to be conquered.

Some unforeseen and unusual event causes the robotic minion race to become independent of the Shakturi. The robotic race arrives first in the galaxy and decides to prepare to face their former masters who will also soon arrive. The robotic race cares little for the galaxy races but will consider cooperating with them to better confront the Shakturi.

Now, it seems, the Distant Worlds galaxy races MAY have a chance to compete with the Shakturi. It may require much cooperation... or much conquering.

Or... The Shakturi return, the ancient alliance that fought them in the distant past had prepared for this day by leaving buried deep under the surface of an ice moon, a dormant race of artificial intelligence.  Its now up to the DW races to follow the clues throughout the galaxy and awaken them [:D]

I doubt it, but it kinda would be cool.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Or...

The Shakturi, an extreme biological technology race, have been waring for eons against their opposite and final arch nemesis, an extreme robotic technology race.

Both races are now starting to extend their war to the Distant Worlds galaxy for more resources. Any seemingly minor races to them can choose a side or hope to survive as neutral.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

Or...

The Shakturi, an extreme biological technology race, have been waring for eons against their opposite and final arch nemesis, an extreme robotic technology race.

Both races are now starting to extend their war to the Distant Worlds galaxy for more resources. Any seemingly minor races to them can choose a side or hope to survive as neutral.

Or...

The AI are Meklars!

Seriously though, my guess is that the AI are either a powerful ancient nation that turned a blind eye to upstart Shakturis at the time and are now waging war against their new nemesis, rallying other empires to their cause. Or, they were machines of work for the shakturi that evolved into a real Artificial intelligence demanding freedom from Shakturis grasp leading to conflict. Damn, that last one sound like the geths.
I have a feeling that there may be some good/bad thing going on with AI/Shakturi and player and AI controlled empires can choose sides or remain neutral. Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice.
Woodman had actually quite a nice theory also.
Oh well, We'll see it then.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Tycow

Post by Tycow »

Some interesting theories being mooted here... ;)
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

This expansion will come out before Christ-mass? Yes! No? Can't wait!

Thanks.
nammafia
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The only scary NPC races in sandbox games I have played were the New Orions in MOO3 due to just being overpowered from the start of the game and the Kra'hen Empire in ImperuimGalactica2 due to massive cheats.I am curious how Codeforce will balance this.A lame duck Shakturi will not fly.
Litjan

Post by Litjan »

ORIGINAL: hondo1375

2. Fuel. In principle, this is a good mechanic, but the current execution is often frustrating. For example, I had a fleet on an offensive in a distant enemy system, and I was moving a resupply ship into place to deploy to refuel the fleet. However, the fleet was low on fuel. Even though the ships were set to manual, they started warping away to refuel at a distant star which would have put them out of action for a long time. If they'd hung around a few more minutes they could have refueled at the resupply ship. I kept grabbing them manually and bringing them back. It felt like herding cats in the end and I gave up. Some way to disable this automated behaviour would be welcome.

More to the point, I think some mechanic where tankers can be sent with fleets and auto refuel the fleet would take a lot of the pain out of this. Other games and RL do it like this, so why not? Also, tankers set to auto should be able to fly around your empire tracking down out of fuel ships limping around and auto refuel them Currently, micomanaging this is zero fun.

--------------

The behaviour for fleets has been cause for much debate. If you have ships stay with their fleets, then people complain about half of the fleet not being battle-ready. If you have them wisk of by themselves, people complain about them flying away uncontrollably. I think part of the job of the commander is to make sure they are fueled appropriately - i.e. have them fuel up before going on missions.
If you take away this part of the game, it will loose an important and fun decision making point: How much fuelcells do I put on my ships? Do I make them short-legged, but more powerfull, or do I make them a little "weaker" but have more stamina?
If you feel the fueling logistics are a big hassle for you, just add some more fueltanks to your ships - it is (in a way) the same as adding a "fuel tanker" to your fleet: For the same "money" you will get either (just an example) 10 ships with 10 firepower each plus one tanker. Or 20 ships with 5 firepower each with no tanker.
hondo1375

Post by hondo1375 »

Thanks for the reply Litjan. My view is that the current arrangement requires too much micromanagement, especially for a game that is supposed to automate a lot of stuff for you. Also, I'm not sure I agree with your fleet analysis. It makes a lot more sense for all ships to have fuel tanks large enough for short range missions, and use that extra hull capacity for other useful things like weapons, and only add a tanker to the fleet for long range missions. It is a lot more flexible and a better use of hull capacity.
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: Litjan

ORIGINAL: hondo1375

More to the point, I think some mechanic where tankers can be sent with fleets and auto refuel the fleet would take a lot of the pain out of this. Other games and RL do it like this, so why not? Also, tankers set to auto should be able to fly around your empire tracking down out of fuel ships limping around and auto refuel them Currently, micomanaging this is zero fun.

--------------

The behaviour for fleets has been cause for much debate. If you have ships stay with their fleets, then people complain about half of the fleet not being battle-ready. If you have them wisk of by themselves, people complain about them flying away uncontrollably. I think part of the job of the commander is to make sure they are fueled appropriately - i.e. have them fuel up before going on missions.
If you take away this part of the game, it will loose an important and fun decision making point: How much fuelcells do I put on my ships? Do I make them short-legged, but more powerfull, or do I make them a little "weaker" but have more stamina?
If you feel the fueling logistics are a big hassle for you, just add some more fueltanks to your ships - it is (in a way) the same as adding a "fuel tanker" to your fleet: For the same "money" you will get either (just an example) 10 ships with 10 firepower each plus one tanker. Or 20 ships with 5 firepower each with no tanker.

If I could just add to this, another fun decision to make is where and when to deploy your resupply ship. You really have to plan your large scale operations so that you can avoid fleets splitting apart due to lack of fuel. I suppose fuel tankers would be realistic, but I love the way resupply ships are implemented and it really adds to my enjoyment of the game.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”