Question for those who have reached late in the war in their AE game

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

vaned74

RE: Question for those who have reached late in the war in their AE game

Post by vaned74 »

Let's keep in mind that for Japan - each pilot carries a cost of 60 heavy industry points and 12 oil (I think). It's something like 5 hi and 1 oil/fuel per month while in the pilot replacement automatic training system. I always assumed the 5 hi/month represented things like trainers?

Note a single engine front line combat fighter runs 36 heavy industry points.
Sun Tempest

Post by Sun Tempest »

Rather than comparing the overall production of planes, maybe it would be better to compare the in-game production of note-worthy planes with the RL production of the same planes.

For example, the production run of Ki-44 Tojo&variants amounts to 1157 planes, while the production of Ki-43 Oscar&variants amounts to 5868, of which 716 pre- and early war Ki-43 I a,b,c. The production of the highly important Ki-84&variants reached 3382 units, and the production of Ki-61 I Tony amounted to 2654 units.
In regards to IJN fighters, J2M -560 units, N1K-J - aprox. 1425 units, while the production A6M3&variants/A6M5/6&variants amounted to a staggering 8136 units.

Most of these numbers doesn't include the prototypes and per-production planes, with the source for these data being the website http://lemairesoft.sytes.net:1945/weben ... html#18155

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Once I summed up real war japanese airplane production, and I got about 42000 planes that are in this game. But I did exclude all early models (A6M2, Ki-43 Ic etc.), because production of those started before the war.

So I think instead of total airplane production of 62000, about 45 000 planes might be better figure to compare game production.

That matches my view pretty well (and as TimTom mentions there were about 11000 trainers).

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Sun Tempest

Rather than comparing the overall production of planes, maybe it would be better to compare the in-game production of note-worthy planes with the RL production of the same planes.

Yes, a valid point. That touches on another (related) subject - how easy it is to switch production between different aircraft. In this thread I was mainly looking at total production figures versus Real Life figures.

Another factor which affects which aircraft a player will build is hindsight, of course, but hindsight is hard to avoid in historical games like AE.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

timtom

Post by timtom »

Strictly speaking a comparison should be by weight.
Where's the Any key?

pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: timtom

Strictly speaking a comparison should be by weight.

Ah, the ghost of PriceH! [:D]

And yes it really did work to estimate costs by weight, to the astonishment of all the Electronic types and the smug satisfaction of the Aero types.
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

Wait! This cannot be! You mean to tell me the long and dearly held position that JFBs can OVER produce Japanese planes to the realm of lunacy isn't so?

Scholl will be devastated...No one tell him...[:-]
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Wait! This cannot be! You mean to tell me the long and dearly held position that JFBs can OVER produce Japanese planes to the realm of lunacy isn't so?

My lips are sealed.
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Don't worry The Elf, the forum has a long history of not letting facts get in the way of a good ( or bad ) rant.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
vonTirpitz

Post by vonTirpitz »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

And I would venture you are wrong, if only because it takes time and supplies to build up like that, both for HI factories, engine factories, and plane factories. In addition, JFBs have a big temptation to hold off ramping up production on older, less capable models and waiting until better models come along. Finally, there is simply a hard ceiling on how many AC can be on the map based on the number and size of the various squadrons. It would make little sense to produce 6 or 7 times that amountif casualties do not justify it.

This seems to be a good summary of my planning strategy.
Yes, a valid point. That touches on another (related) subject - how easy it is to switch production between different aircraft. In this thread I was mainly looking at total production figures versus Real Life figures.

Another factor which affects which aircraft a player will build is hindsight, of course, but hindsight is hard to avoid in historical games like AE.

Andrew

Since JFB players pretty much expect to try and drag the war into 1945-46 much planning likely goes into stockpiling and producing to accomplish this. Historical production of airframes was driven by lessons just learned and more immediate needs as well as (many times poor) guesswork about future needs.

ORIGINAL: TheElf

I think that some will make the case that JFBs can OVER produce manpower or whatnot. They just can't do anything useful with the excess. [:D]

BTW. This thread remotely ties in with my query in the Air OOB thread about the Hickory. Albeit, it's a very minor detail concerning a nondescript airframe but I am truly curious about the production dates and models.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

One of the interesting facets of the current production system is that pin output remains static no matter for how long one produces pins. One can produce the Zero for all eternity and still not derive any benefit for a long series run. To me, this seems to greatly mitigate any perceived advantage the Japanese player has in tailoring production - on the other hand, the Japanese player is not under quite the same pressure to maintain production within the same 'family' of aircraft for fear of the hit taken in production figures.
Miller

Post by Miller »

I played through to May 45 as the Japs. Going off memory here but I think my overall production was perhaps only 10-20% higher than in real life.

HOWEVER, I was producing exclusively only the useful types (in the game) by 43. In real life I am sure the production figures included lots of crappy a/c of little or no use.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”