Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Arboris

RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Post by Arboris »

I am still curious if fonts will be addressed in any way?

FONTS (More readable fonts when using higher resolutions) My Monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

My eyesight is just not what it use to be and the current fonts are a real struggle for me. Will this issue be addressed?
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Wow! I'll say I'm extremely happy with the new UI. What's best about this is that it shows you guys are willing to tackle important - but not so sexy - issues instead of blindly adding bullet-point features. Hopefully the GUI will be more snappy this time around! With all these more granular automation options, I just hope there will be enough for me to actually do :)

Also, the new tech system is great. Although I'm a bit afraid it will contain too many filer techs. What I mean by that is that I prefer all my decisions to have some kind of meaningful impact on the game, so that each technology should really add something, and choosing to research X means that I'm (at least for the time being) missing out on extremely interesting technology Y. The civilization tech tree is a very good example of that. Less is more and all that!

BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

2 things really from me

Will we have proper moddability now?  Or still only be able to alter graphics (I'm personally wanting to be able to mod weapons, techs, resources and planet types)

Also, please have an option to disable the story/background.  As I've said plenty of times before, some of us enjoy a true sandbox mode which will no zero storylines or galaxy backgrounds
I appreciate Elliot(?) wants to tell a story, but when you've played through dozens of times, the story gets old and boring (not to mention my personal dislike on how powerful derelicts are)

Hopefully alot more depth is added as well (I'm a depth junky... sorry :P lol )
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Kruos

Post by Kruos »

This expansion looks AWESOME !

Some of the news seems to be inspired from moo2 : variety of fighters, ion weapon concept, shakturi chirurgical hit, etc.. It is GREAT! I cant wait to see how these concepts are integrated in Distant World!

Do not try to released it for christmas, DO IT*!

*: And whithout bug, obviously! [:D]
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

I am still curious if fonts will be addressed in any way?
Will we have proper moddability now?  Or still only be able to alter graphics (I'm personally wanting to be able to mod weapons, techs, resources and planet types)

Also, please have an option to disable the story/background.  As I've said plenty of times before, some of us enjoy a true sandbox mode which will no zero storylines or galaxy backgrounds
I appreciate Elliot(?) wants to tell a story, but when you've played through dozens of times, the story gets old and boring (not to mention my personal dislike on how powerful derelicts are)

Could we please have a response to those questions?
Thanks.

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I think he said before, full feature list in 1 week, so you should get your answer soon.  I'd also like to know about modding, and also about if the Galactopedia is now moddable, giving you a chance to edit and add pages, if we can add pages, we could have an in-game strategy guide, that would be cool!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

I think he said before, full feature list in 1 week,

Ah I must have missed that. I can wait :)
Thanks.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

We should have a Coming Soon forum and a product page with full feature list posted next week.

That statement can be found on the first post of this thread which was made 11/20/2010 Sunday.  This has led me to believe that the 'product page' would be up sometime this week, but that really depends on what he meant by 'next week'....did he mean this week or the next one.....because I believe the new week technically starts on a Sunday and his statement was made on a Sunday USA CST.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

While that may be true, here in the states we generally consider Sunday the weekend, and treat Monday as the start of a new week. So I'm going to wager he meant sometime by this Friday.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'm still learning the eitiquette of gaming forums, so I'm sorry for asking questions earlier. Basically, 'feature list posted next week' means 'we're not answering any questions'.

I suppose it makes sense, Erik can't be dealing with an onslaught of questions, but I wish people would just speak plainly and say what they mean.
Tycow

Post by Tycow »

ORIGINAL: Igard

I'm still learning the eitiquette of gaming forums, so I'm sorry for asking questions earlier. Basically, 'feature list posted next week' means 'we're not answering any questions'.

I suppose it makes sense, Erik can't be dealing with an onslaught of questions, but I wish people would just speak plainly and say what they mean.

Or, the feature list isn't finalised yet, and it would be ill advised posting it now.

Not much point answering questions if things change soon afterwards. [:)]
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Or, the feature list isn't finalised yet, and it would be ill advised posting it now.

I agree, but there are lots of unecessary posts here with people asking questions and responses to those posts. That could be avoided by just stating 'sorry guys can't answer any questions right now'.

Maybe I don't understand it, I'm quite new to posting on forums, but a bit of communication could help alot. Besides, I think most of the questions were based around what we see already in the screenshots.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Thing is, you will always get people asking questions, even if you say "We won't be answering any questions" (I seen this proven on other game forums)

However, I tend to find, when questions are asked, if the answer is something that will not change, and is not wanted to be kept as a surprise, an answer or hint is usually given anyway
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Tycow

I agree, but there are lots of unecessary posts here with people asking questions and responses to those posts. That could be avoided by just stating 'sorry guys can't answer any questions right now'.

Maybe I don't understand it, I'm quite new to posting on forums, but a bit of communication could help alot. Besides, I think most of the questions were based around what we see already in the screenshots.

Keep in mind that Erik is play testing and busy working with Elliot and the other testers.

I actually thought he said early on it was going to be another week before any game info was posted, so what he posted was really a bonus [:)]

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

I agree with Igard ( and not just because I enjoy your star trek mods ).[:D]
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Tycow

Post by Tycow »

Chill guys. All will be revealed soon*. [:)]

EDIT: *Soon, as in the near future. When compared to the average life of a star. [;)]
Igard

Post by Igard »

I didn't want to flood the forums with this (it's pretty trivial). Sorry guys, I just don't get it.<me
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Well the usual thing is this:

1.  The developer/publisher make a post announcing something shortly before release. 
2.  The fans ask some polite questions about it.
3.  The developer/publisher remain totally silent.
4.  The fans ask angry questions.
5.  The developer/publisher remain totally silent.
6. The fans form an angry mob complete with torches and pitchforks demanding answers.
7. The developer/publisher remain totally silent.
8.  The fans uselessly debate and argue among themselves about how the game could be patched/made better etc...

Two years later...

1.  The developers/publisher announce their new game

Repeat steps 2-8 [:D]

Basically Matrix and Codeforce are exceptionally vocal and forthcoming, and even take into account the suggestions of the fans, its totally unconventional, but I like it [:)]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

1.  The developer/publisher make a post announcing something shortly before release. 
6.  The fans uselessly debate and argue among themselves about how the game could be patched/made better etc...

Two years later...

Repeat steps 2-6 [:D]

Basically Matrix and Codeforce are exceptionally vocal and forthcoming, and even take into account the suggestions of the fans, its totally unconventional, but I like it [:)]

ROFLMAO!!! Too true!!!!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

6.  The fans uselessly debate and argue among themselves about how the game could be patched/made better etc...

Two years later...

Repeat steps 2-6 [:D]

Yes, but you forgot the part where some of the fans form an angry mob complete with torches and pitchforks demanding answers...while the publisher/developer remains silent.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”