Mouse scroll issue

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Terl

Mouse scroll issue

Post by Terl »

I noticed while in the tutorial, and found it is in the first mission as well...the mouse scroll works left, up, and down but will not scroll if mouse is to the right side of the screen. I can scroll with the arrow keys and have made sure I have room to move right. Is something amiss or is there a setting I missed?

Thanks
PhilSST

RE: Mouse scroll issue

Post by PhilSST »

Hi Terl,

Can you tell me what resolution you're playing the game in and whether you're playing Windowed or Fullscreen? If possible, it would be great to know whether the problem still happens in other resolutions or in fullscreen/windowed.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Terl,

Are you by any chance playing on a dual monitor system?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Phil, I am playing full screen 1280x1024 32 bit. It will not scroll to the right. If I switch to windowed mode it scrolls fine. I do not like the windowed mode as, maybe this is not supposed to happen, I have both mouse cursors....the hardware one and the game's. It is rather distracting. The "point" is the same spot it is just annoying to me to have two cursors. I can't get a screenshot because windows seems to hide the hardware cursor on a screenshot.

I also noticed the word "Tip:" on the loading screen but there is no tip. Should there be?

Erik, nope, no dual monitor. I don't play these games well enough to deserve two [:D]

I have attached the dxdiag just in case.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(33.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

That's very odd, as I actually developed on a 1280x1024 monitor, and so that's what I was using on a daily basis when testing. I'll see if I can dig out my old monitor and track that problem down.

You're right. I should hide the hardware cursor in windowed mode. It's only there because I personally prefer both, but I know that the vast majority of people don't.

There should be tips on the loading screen. I'll check to see if a file went missing when I packaged the game up for distribution. That's the most likely problem there.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Thanks Phil. And, by the way, great game. I am having fun with it.
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

Same thing here. Unable to scroll to the right when in full screen. Windowed mode works fine.
1280x1024, single display.
PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

Can you guys think of anything else about your systems or setups which might have a bearing on this? I'm lost. I'm running at 1280x1024 in fullscreen, and I can scroll in all four directions just fine. Erik already suggested the only thing which springs to mind and since you're not using a dual monitor setup, I can't think of anything else. I can certainly do something about the hardware cursor appearing in Windowed, but I'd really like to squash this scrolling in fullscreen issue too. Can you both post your videocard specs please? I can't imagine why it would make a difference, but it's at least something to start on.
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

My graphic card is ATI Radeon 4850. Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I've tested it a bit more. When set to fullscreen from windowed it doesn't work (tried 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024). When you exit and reenter the game it doesn't work. BUT when you change resolution when already set to fullscreen it WORKS regardless of chosen resolution. If you exit the game and enter again it doesn't work until you change resolution again.

I have also noticed that sometimes it doesn't scroll to the right and sometimes downwards and right. It appears that mouse pointer gets stuck few pixels before right edge and a lot more pixels before bottom edge (right about task bar height).

PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

Thanks for the extra information, GeeBee. Both machines I'm personally testing on have Nvidia hardware, so now that I know you're using ATI hardware, I will look into the possibility of an ATI driver bug. I definitely do not do anything which would account for a difference between switching resolutions from windowed to fullscreen versus fullscreen to fullscreen, so it's definitely not me. I suppose the obvious solution would be to add an option in there somewhere called "Mouse Scroll Fix" and make the mouse/edge of screen tolerance a bit bigger when that's enabled.
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

Additional info: when I get it to work (as described before) and do ALT-TAB it stops working again. Changing resolution again fixes the problem.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: PhilSST

Thanks for the extra information, GeeBee. Both machines I'm personally testing on have Nvidia hardware, so now that I know you're using ATI hardware, I will look into the possibility of an ATI driver bug. I definitely do not do anything which would account for a difference between switching resolutions from windowed to fullscreen versus fullscreen to fullscreen, so it's definitely not me. I suppose the obvious solution would be to add an option in there somewhere called "Mouse Scroll Fix" and make the mouse/edge of screen tolerance a bit bigger when that's enabled.

I have an nVidia 9500GT and windows 7 64bit and have the same issue. My dxdiag is attached to a post further up.
Margaret007

Post by Margaret007 »

hi !!!

its really a informative post.

thanks for your information .
nmand

Post by nmand »

I have Ati HD5870 and windows 7 64bit. i have a similar movement problem but for down.
Also i use 1920x1080 resolution  and the game leaves big sections of the screen left & right black.
maybe it's meant to be played only at 4:3 resolution's.
Finally i get random EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION even during saving the game.
PhilSST

Post by PhilSST »

I have Ati HD5870 and windows 7 64bit. i have a similar movement problem but for down.
Well there goes my planned solution of simply allowing a tolerance for one direction. If I have to allow tolerances for all directions, there will be too much gray area to actually be useful to anyone. I'll go back to the drawing board on a solution for this.
Also i use 1920x1080 resolution  and the game leaves big sections of the screen left & right black.
maybe it's meant to be played only at 4:3 resolution's.
No, you can play the game at any resolution, but it adapts the screen and AR to fit. It's either leave big sections blank, stretch the GUI or leave unsightly gaps in the GUI. I took the decision that big blank sections were the least unpleasant option.

Finally i get random EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION even during saving the game.
You're going to need to be *much* more specific than that if you want me to fix something. Which mission? What's the situation? Do you have a saved game from shortly before the problem starts? Can you tell me how to reproduce the problem? Does it happen every time you save? Does it happen only under certain conditions? Which conditions? The more information you can provide and the easier I can reproduce it, the quicker I'll be able to find (and hence fix) it.

Return to “Tech Support”