Great game

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

hondo1375

Great game

Post by hondo1375 »

So, thanks again for all the advice: Roman smackdown on turn 15 on normal. Image of the situation on turn 14 just before the Romans attempt a desperate relief effort that fails. The secret to this game is definitely stripping areas of recruits and moving on (turtles of the world, throw off your shells!).

I'd like to be returned to the game map after the victory screen as it all feels a bit flat otherwise.

From a replayability point of view, I would not see myself playing at each level of difficulty and winning more than once, but winning is difficult in this game so I've already got more than my money's worth winning on basic and normal because (1) it's taken several attempts to win, and (2) each turn is pretty intense, so I find myself playing only a few turns a session. Also, there is "difficult" level still to conquer.

I should also add here that this is definitely the most challenging single player computer game I can remember playing in a long time. The AI is definitely competent, unforgiving, able to exploit weaknesses in your position, but the difficulty of the game is aided by the imbalance against the Carthaginians in the game set up. However, I have not noticed any cheating, it is just an asymmetrical situation being simulated.

I would go as far as to say that this game is a must-buy for hardcore single-playing wargamers, even if you only have a passing interest in the historical situation (I actually had no interest in it when I bought the game, although I do like some ancient periods).

With respect to what could be improved, an "undo" function would be welcome: there were a lot of occasions when I activated a leader only to realise I could not undertake the intend manoeuvre because of some rule I had not remembered/incorrectly understood.

Attachments
rome.jpg
rome.jpg (476.05 KiB) Viewed 142 times
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
NefariousKoel

RE: Great game

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: hondo1375

With respect to what could be improved, an "undo" function would be welcome: there were a lot of occasions when I activated a leader only to realise I could not undertake the intend manoeuvre because of some rule I had not remembered/incorrectly understood.

Grats on the win! Staying mobile and recruiting efficiently are good practice. You can also eventually find a defensible area with some cities and try for a VP win, too. The hard level gets even better. [8D]

The learning curve is a bit unforgiving until you grasp all the intricacies. There were times I wish I had an Undo button, too, at least for the activation action itself. The first few learning games I saved before every questionable move I did just in case there was a rule I didn't realize. Cheating, sure but it helped me learn the system faster. It was my undo button. ;) There are also three ways of saving, including a quick save so it should be fairly painless while people are picking up on the system.
Johnus

RE: Great game

Post by Johnus »

NK:

Good point about saving often. Prevents you from activating a certain leader to do something which (due to the rules) you can't quite do, and being stuck with a compromised turn.

I think people will do better when they realize (as I finally did) that the game is not about maintaining a continuous front and conquering Italy province by contiguous province, but rather beating Rome's armies and then stripping Rome of her resources, while maintaing a strong Hannibal in the field.

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”