Question - In-Progress Scenario Ship Modding

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kaoru

Question - In-Progress Scenario Ship Modding

Post by Kaoru »

Okay, here's a question for anyone who knows the answer - if you'd be kind enough to share it. Pretty please?

Basically, I've recently heard that there were some changes made to the rules for updating scenarios-in-progress, relating to being able to update the 'ships' file. Even still, I've also seen people talking about continuing to make modifications to scenarios-in-progress, adding ships as reinforcements, and the like.

My question is simply - what's the prohibition on updating the wps0xx.dat (AE Ships) file for games already in progress?

Are no modifications whatsoever allowed (in the sense that the updates won't be performed or apply to the game in progress?)

Or is it something more subtle - like, "No adding ships to the file with an arrival date earlier than the current save-date"?

I'm seriously hoping it's the latter, so, for instance, if you'd already played December 7th, you couldn't add in any ship that has an arrival/completion date on or before the start of the scenario, nor modify any ship-data for a ship already on the map. But you could add a ship with an arrival/completion date of, say, January 1st, 1942, and that'd work fine.

If it's just "No changes whatsoever", that's a bummer. If it's the other option, though, or something I haven't thought of, that'd be excellent.

Thanks for any info you can provide, and for taking the time to read this!
~Kaoru
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... WorldWarII
Whenever I should falter in my cherished belief that through the power of the human spirit, through will, and sacrifice, all things are possible, I read these.
Then I feel better.
JWE

RE: Question - In-Progress Scenario Ship Modding

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: michaelm
You can add some database changes to games in play but not all as some things are determined and created at the start based on the data in the scenario.
IIRC, I caused issues when I mistakenly included ship changes in the update.

These are the items that I believe can be added to a game in play.
2. Device Changes 3. Aircraft Changes 4. TO&E Changes (these will only take effect when a unit gets to its next TO&E upgrade point)5. Class changes

From 1.00.84 WhatsNew file

Also this applies to any scenario updates, not just the official ones.
The game compares the save against the current scenario tables and reports if an update is possible.
So no Ship changes. I think the Class changes work like the TO&E changes, i.e., they will only take effect when a ship gets to its next Class upgrade point.
Kaoru

RE: Question - In-Progress Scenario Ship Modding

Post by Kaoru »

ORIGINAL: JWE
ORIGINAL: michaelm
You can add some database changes to games in play but not all as some things are determined and created at the start based on the data in the scenario.
IIRC, I caused issues when I mistakenly included ship changes in the update.

These are the items that I believe can be added to a game in play.
2. Device Changes 3. Aircraft Changes 4. TO&E Changes (these will only take effect when a unit gets to its next TO&E upgrade point)5. Class changes

From 1.00.84 WhatsNew file

Also this applies to any scenario updates, not just the official ones.
The game compares the save against the current scenario tables and reports if an update is possible.
So no Ship changes. I think the Class changes work like the TO&E changes, i.e., they will only take effect when a ship gets to its next Class upgrade point.
Thanks very much for the clarification! Oh, well. Better to have a stable game than a tinker-able one, I suppose! At least the class changes offer some flexibility for in-progress modification. Appreciate the pointer!
~Kaoru
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... WorldWarII
Whenever I should falter in my cherished belief that through the power of the human spirit, through will, and sacrifice, all things are possible, I read these.
Then I feel better.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”