[REL][BETA][Shad] Kirk Era - Star Trek Beta 1

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Igard

[REL][BETA][Shad] Kirk Era - Star Trek Beta 1

Post by Igard »

Kirk Era BETA 1
[center]
Image[/center]

[center]The Kirk Era Beta 1 for Distant Worlds Shadows is a direct conversion from the Return of the Shakturi version of the mod. Please note, this mod is not finished.[/center]

BETA 1 Summary

Races - 10 Star Trek races. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Tholian, Fesarian, Gorn, Orion, Kzinti, Betelgeusian and Jarada
Shipsets - All 10 races have their own shipsets
Characters - Very few characters
Troop Images- No troop images (default used)
Flags - No flagshapes (defaults)
Design Templates - No Design Templates
Dialogue - Dialogue for Federation, Klingon, Jarada, Gorn, Romulan only
Policy files - Some, but not finished
Music - TOS music

Download

Shadows mirror 1 - http://www.gamefront.com/files/23557689/Star+Trek+Kirk+Era+Beta+1.zip

Shadows mirror 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?0yq6min9zv94ely

Installation

1.Unzip
2.Copy the folder 'Star Trek Kirk Era' to Matrix Games/Distant Worlds/Customization/
3.Run the game and select 'Change Theme' from the main menu then select the Star Trek Kirk Era mod and click 'Switch Theme'

Credits

Special thanks to Rory Mcleish who was kind enough to give me permission to use his fantastic Kzinti warrior. Check out his studio's website here:- http://www.rorymcleish.com/

Big thanks to ehsumrell1 and tjhkkr for sending images, giving massive support and some very helpful advice.

Ehsumrell1 for providing Jarada and Betelgeusian character names as well as Jarada dialogue.

Thanks to all the modellers who posted their work at battleclinic.com for making this possible.

Older Version - Return of the Shakturi v1.2

Return of the Shakturi mirror 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?jkoia9j7xcatcen

Return of the Shakturi mirror 2 - http://www.gamefront.com/files/23240332/Star+Trek+Kirk+Era+v1.2.zip

Shipset Previews

Attachments
Kirkpreview.jpg
Kirkpreview.jpg (594.72 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Panama Red

RE: [WIP] Kirk Era - Star Trek

Post by Panama Red »

[:)][&o][:)][&o][:)][&o]
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Really nice mate [&o]

Can I give a small criticism? They look kind of bright, like they have too much light on them?

But small criticism, I love your work.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Very nice Igard!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Igard

Post by Igard »

Thanks for the comments guys.
ORIGINAL: Haree78

Really nice mate [&o]

Can I give a small criticism? They look kind of bright, like they have too much light on them?

But small criticism, I love your work.

I welcome all critisism and you're quite correct. I think the resupply ship and the cruisers look ok, but the rest can easily be fixed.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

That space station is sharp. I like that one alot.
Using a Chandeley class frigate for the resupply ship, I see. Good choice. I think the Derf class... or another whose name eludes me has grasping arms.
Locknar class might also be a good addition.
[Here I am giving advice to the Master]

Nice work as always. [&o]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Igard

Post by Igard »

tj, I think you know this stuff better than I do. I never played any of the old boardgames so my knowledge of these ships is limited to when I played the Starfleet Command PC games and occasionally downloaded a mod. I really appreciate the advice.

Using the Chandley class as a resupply ship was a last resort. There just aren't any large ships from this period (unless I attempt to make one myself) so anyway, I'm glad you approve.

I can't find any Derf class ship models to use, but I did find a Loknar and I think I'll replace the current frigate with that. The one used in the preview will become an extra.

Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Ever play the Starfleet battles board game ? as there are quite a few empires for the npc's in that and the game was based in and around the original series.

the usual suspects ..

Federation
Klingon
Romulan

and some less well know (made up) ones

Gorn Empire-lizard from the tv show
Kzinti - cat like and loved missiles
Tholian - was on the show iirc and use were utterly isolationist xenophobes (volcanic planet would be ideal for them)
Hydran - Gas giant dwellers and mortal enemies of the klingons.
Lyran - also cat like but were bad guys to the kzinti good ones.

ISC -- Alien invasion force that tries to impose its own govenrment across the universe

andromendas -- hard as nails with alien tech and could make great marauding monsters ??

Good luck on the prject anyway

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Igard, as I said, you are the Master. [&o]
Yes, I am a relic from the board game era. Actually, I just got out my ASL the other day.

And yes, I did play Starfleet Battles in the day. There are some good races. The big issue with them is that they relied heavily on fighters and drones (missiles), so some of them would be hard to model in DW galaxy with out a few system changes. But they did have some cool ships, and cool races...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Igard

Post by Igard »

In fact the Starfleet Command series PC games were based on those boardgames, so I'm familiar with the Hydran Kingdom, Lyran Star Empire, Interstellar Concordium and the Kzinti of course were in the animated series and were known as the Mirak Star League in the computer games. I think the Andromedans were supposed to be the Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda galaxy seen in the original series episode 'By any other name'.

Some of these races I'll be able to add to the game, but I might have to wait for the next era mod. I'm not sure what to call it yet, either 'Motion Picture Era' or, I'm leaning towards 'Sulu Era' just to keep with the naming theme.

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

we've had our heads down working on the next update and the expansion

Wooohooo. Looks like more is coming. Thank you DW team!
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Igard, are you going to try to build the Kzintis? That might be an interesting design... And interesting to have a torpedo-based (to replace the drones) weapons system... A ship with all torpedos...

It looks like the Kzintis have drone pods or pods extending from the ship. They kind of look like a cross between Galactica and Enterprise, although the Kzinti designs were out before BSG came on the air...
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Igard, are you going to try to build the Kzintis? That might be an interesting design... And interesting to have a torpedo-based (to replace the drones) weapons system... A ship with all torpedos...

It looks like the Kzintis have drone pods or pods extending from the ship. They kind of look like a cross between Galactica and Enterprise, although the Kzinti designs were out before BSG came on the air...

Here's one of the ships of the Mirak Star League, which were based on the Kzinti Hegemony. I'll be using those ships and re-naming them back to the Kzinti.

Attachments
9abde57aa4..b37b6e5e.jpg
9abde57aa4..b37b6e5e.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Igard

Post by Igard »

Qapla' !!!!

Attachments
klingpreview.jpg
klingpreview.jpg (550.76 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

[&o]
As always, looks sharp!
Igard

Post by Igard »

Thanks, tj. It was surprisingly difficult to find klingon ships and bases that look like they belong to the era. This was probably the hardest shipset I've done so far.

Igard

Post by Igard »

Here's the Romulan preview. Not sure about making the BoP's larger than the D7 cruiser. Romulan ships of this era were small, but I don't want the Romulan D7 to be larger than its Klingon counterpart.

Attachments
Rompreview.jpg
Rompreview.jpg (578.27 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Not much you can do about this era, given the fact that Romulan ships were so limited.
The BoP was centered around 1 very powerful weapon, with mininum other weapons, and was very small using its cloaking device to prevent utter destruction.
The Torch Ship was incredibly fast and used only disrupters.
And the largest ship in their inventory was the Klingon ships handed over.

I am not criticizing your work, which is superior as always, but as far as making it authentic to the era... not easily done given the limitations.
Great work as always
Igard

Post by Igard »

Just looking at the FASA romulan ship recognition manual and it doesn't look too bad. Notice the V-8 Bird of Prey (my cruiser) compared to the V-11 Stormbird (my D7 destroyer).

Attachments
romrecognition.jpg
romrecognition.jpg (372.13 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I hope you are taking this as a gentleman's discussion; I am not trying to be a jerk.

I was basing my size estimate on the FX reel of the "Enterprise Incident." That is a cool scene by the way, when all the ships are dropping cloak around Enterprise...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_YNDmRM0Q

When I looked at it, I realized that it was bigger than I thought, but I still think it is not as big as the Drell-VI used by the Romulans.

But then that is the beauty of this: I mean really... who gives a rip? And your work is greater than anything I can put together. [&o] By the way, I have not see that FASA chart in years.

Return to “Design and Modding”