kamikaze activation question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

kamikaze activation question

Post by jcjordan »

Is a CV raid enough to trigger kamikaze activation or is just range to nearest allied base?
Misconduct

RE: kamikaze activation question

Post by Misconduct »

Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced by sea only) of either Tokyo, Takao or Saigon. These will not activate before Jan 1, 1944.

I am not sure if this adds to account the Chinese, however I would believe it stands for "Allies" as in Australian, British or American.

Edited: can anyone confirm whether taking a base within 15 hex of the 3 bases as Chinese it would enable Kamikaze?
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Excludes Chinese national hexes.

The range was changed to under 21 hexes due to the map scale change in build 1092. It was forgotten on release as 15 was from stock.
Michael
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Excludes Chinese national hexes.

The range was changed to under 21 hexes due to the map scale change in build 1092. It was forgotten on release as 15 was from stock.

Michael,

Thank you VERY much for sharing this. Great support continues .... [&o]
Pax
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Thanks. In my game vs the IJ AI I've got Saigon & most of SE Asia except Malaya & a good portion of IJ China though I've basically stopped there but I was just starting to think about home island raids & got me to wondering about kamikazes. I'm probably about a year or so ahead in advancing vs historical timeline in most places.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

And in my game vs AI, Japan never bothered to take Sandakan in Northern Borneo, which is exactly 21 hexes from Saigon.

So I own a base which triggers Kamikazes? And, do "dot-bases" within the distance trigger Kamikazes as well?

It's 20 Jan 1944 now.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

And in my game vs AI, Japan never bothered to take Sandakan in Northern Borneo, which is exactly 21 hexes from Saigon.

So I own a base which triggers Kamikazes? And, do "dot-bases" within the distance trigger Kamikazes as well?

It's 20 Jan 1944 now.

Base must have an AF 1+. This would exclude the 'dot' bases unless they are built up.
There is no limitation such that the base has to have been occupied by the Japanese and re-captured.

If the base is in range (21 sea hexes) of TOKYO (base #252), TAKAO (base #330) or SAIGON (base #435), is not located in China/Tibet and controlled by Allied player and 1944+, then the kamikazes (converting groups to kamikaze mode,as distinct from the occasional plane turning into a kamikaze prior to 1944 due to damage) are activated.
Michael
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

It's 20 Jan 1944 now.

Base must have an AF 1+. This would exclude the 'dot' bases unless they are built up.
There is no limitation such that the base has to have been occupied by the Japanese and re-captured.

If the base is in range (21 sea hexes) of TOKYO (base #252), TAKAO (base #330) or SAIGON (base #435), is not located in China/Tibet and controlled by Allied player and 1944+, then the kamikazes (converting groups to kamikaze mode,as distinct from the occasional plane turning into a kamikaze prior to 1944 due to damage) are activated.

michaelm
, the most publicly under-appreciated member of AE team ( some others have gotten their spanking already [8D]) . There should be multiple forum threads for thanksgiving for your work!

Thank you for your continuing support!
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

It's 20 Jan 1944 now.

Where do we send the case of Fosters for the holidays?
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thanks for the answer michaelm!

This means that I am on the safe side (Sandakan is still AF size 0).

But what's more important, it means that a invasion of Leyte triggers Kamikazes, just like it was historically (if I remember correctly).
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Just found this. Is the distance 20 or 21 hexes. Michaelm seems to contradict himself above, stating first less than 21, then "in range (21 hexes)."

Which is it? [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Just found this. Is the distance 20 or 21 hexes. Michaelm seems to contradict himself above, stating first less than 21, then "in range (21 hexes)."

Which is it? [;)]

I don't recall, but you can find it in the readme file of the updates where it was changed. IIRC its pretty straight forward. Not at my computer or I would look it up.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Which is it? [;)]

This is a secret research project. Security, arrest this man!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

78. Gameplay Change: The kamikaze activation range has been changed from 15 to 20 hexes. The range was not changed when the game scale was changed.

The Moose
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

There once was a great map someone put together showing the bases, that if captured, triggered kamizkazes.

That still around anywhere?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

There once was a great map someone put together showing the bases, that if captured, triggered kamizkazes.

I think that was from classic WITP....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Jesselton is 15 hexes away from Saigon . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: btd64

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

I think that was from classic WITP....GP

The irony is...

Obvert made a kamikaze activation map after michaelm's posted clarification. I think I did also.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The irony is...

Obvert made a kamikaze activation map after michaelm's posted clarification. I think I did also.

Obvert has made some great maps...

There is one with heavy bomber ranges from Oz into the SRA, another from Rangoon I believe.

Plus cargo routes from SRA.

IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The irony is...

Obvert has made some great maps...

There is one with heavy bomber ranges from Oz into the SRA, another from Rangoon I believe.

Plus cargo routes from SRA.

So.....anybody got a link to these great maps????

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”