Unknown Exception Crash in Ultimate ANW

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
CBR9

Unknown Exception Crash in Ultimate ANW

Post by CBR9 »

Installed on WinXp 32 machine.

When I attempt to access the database (photo), the program hangs with this error msg "Unkown Exception".

Does this in both windowed mode and full screen. Shut everything down with End It All, and same problem.

The debug_H3_b0.txt file has this "Unhandled exception. Exciting the program. Unknown exception"

Any ideas?
CBR9

RE: Unknown Exception Crash in Ultimate ANW

Post by CBR9 »

Just checked it on a windows 7 x64 machine same problem. Try to access data base and crashes program. Also on the windows 7 machine, mouse is very "jerky" hard to position. Only in the ANW window.

Again.. any ideas?
uncleharpoon

Post by uncleharpoon »

Hi CBR9, thanks for letting us know.

I need some more information so we can isolate the problem - and fix it for you.

Does the problem only occur when you access the Database Picture feature in ANW v3.10? Does your tool bar show "HMV" in it before/after the crash?

Next, please tell me about your computer(s).
Are you running this in a virtual machine on a host system? Are you on a corporate network or a home system?
What Anti-viral or malware program are you running?
What other programs are you running?

Can you manually access the pictures in \harpoon folder\resources\dbpics\planes\<pick a folder>?

We tested on XP and Win 7 (both 32 and 64) plus some testing on Vista. So we know we are compatible, the trick is identification of why YOU are having problems.

Please feel free to reply via email with screen shots (support@advancedgaming.biz)

THANKS FOR WORKING WITH US!
rsharp@advancedgamin

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

What versions of Harpoon did you install? In what order?
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
jomni

Post by jomni »

Same crash.
ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon

Hi CBR9, thanks for letting us know.

I need some more information so we can isolate the problem - and fix it for you.

Does the problem only occur when you access the Database Picture feature in ANW v3.10? Does your tool bar show "HMV" in it before/after the crash?

Yes. Only when I press the picture button in the database. No HMV.
Next, please tell me about your computer(s).
Are you running this in a virtual machine on a host system? Are you on a corporate network or a home system?

No
What Anti-viral or malware program are you running?

Avira
What other programs are you running?

None
Can you manually access the pictures in \harpoon folder\resources\dbpics\planes\<pick a folder>?

Yes

CBR9

Post by CBR9 »

After banging my head against the wall for hours...

Ultimate Commanders Edition installs on both my WinXP and Win7 machines and runs.

I uninstalled the Ultimate ANW's and did a new install, one program at a time. 3.10 by itself, installs and the database works. 3.63 installs and works, but if 3.94 is thrown into the mix.. the database for 3.10 and 3.63 is broken. Doesn't matter if on default install or on a different drive.

3.10 on the Win7 machine installs, but has a problem with the mouse pointer. Can best be described as "sticking", as you try and move mouse to make selections with buttons or on game screen. Same for 3.94 (didn't even atempt 3.6.3). No problem with the Commanders Edition so far as the mouse.

Been years since I've had this much trouble with a game install.
Aerohead

Post by Aerohead »

I can confirm this crash on my system also. I'm running Win7 x64 with Avira anti-virus and a fresh install of Harpoon Ultimate Edition. When I start ANW I get the message that "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 basic". I don't think this would be a contributor, though, since CBR9 saw this behavior on WinXP and Win7 machines.

CBR9

Post by CBR9 »

Hey Aerohead,

Same same with the color scheme msg... on my Win7 x64 machine.. ATI Graphics card with 10.10 drivers. The Ultimate Commanders Edition installs, and no mouse problems. I've done so many installs on the Win7 machine that I'm restoring a back up from two days ago (Acronis, a life saver). Will put the Commanders edition on and wait for a "fix" for the ANW.
Aerohead

Post by Aerohead »

At least I can live with not accessing the database pictures until a fix or workaround is identified as long as the actual game itself is working properly, which it is for me.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Crash occurs for me also.
Click picture = unknown exception.
Install order as per default.
running windows vista 32 bit.
will go without pics... but please rectify; new games shouldn't crash [:(]

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
CBR9

Post by CBR9 »

Agent,

You might try an uninstall, and just install 3.10 and see if you get the data display.
rsharp@advancedgamin

Hey guys,

This is my focus for a bit. CBR9 got it right. The issue is caused by 3.9.4 and 3.10 sharing a common component. When you use the Picture button in the Database browser it tries to load the shared component but each version is expecting something slightly different. I'll have a workaround put up shortly and have an actual fix in progress as well.

In the 3.10 installation under the Resource directory is a file called RegisterMediaWidget.bat.

If you primarily use 3.10, put this file in the base game directory, e.g. C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare, and double click it.

If you primarily use 3.9.4 then do the same with the 3.9.4 directory.

Looking into an actual fix.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Geos

Post by Geos »

ORIGINAL: CBR9

Agent,

You might try an uninstall, and just install 3.10 and see if you get the data display.

This works.

I had the same issue after purchasing and doing a complete install. I had crashes accessing the database images.

As CBR9 suggested, I uninstalled Ultimate Harpoon complete and installed just ANW (3.10). I can now access the database images without a crash.

Next I will install HUCE and see if it still works....

EDIT: Sorry Russell, we must have been posting at the same time, as you have alluded to the fact you are working on the problem...
regards,

Craig
rsharp@advancedgamin

A little more technical information for those interested.

The crash is caused by the HMW.dll file being registered (a system wide process) by both 3.9.4 and 3.10 installers. The two versions expect something different from HMW.dll but will use the last one registered. This results in the version of H3 crashing or showing odd behavior if it was not installed last.

A quick workaround is to disable this media widget. To do so follow these steps.

1. Open Notepad and type in the following:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 /u HMW.dll

2. Save this file as UnregisterMediaWidget.bat in the base H3 ANW directory alongside HMW.dll. Put the file name in with quotes around it so that Notepad does not append the .txt extension.

3. Double click the file. You should get the message, "DLLUnregisterServer in HMW.dll succeeded."

Disabling the media widget will cause the game to fall back on the older in-game picture display.

To enable the media widget, there is a similar RegisterMediaWidget.bat that I described in a previous post.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
piotre

Post by piotre »

I have a similar problem.
When I try to display pictures from the database window in full screen mode I get the message:

****ERROR****
Invalid reference number for this picture

The pictures show all right when running in windowed mode.
I sometimes get a "media not found" message in windowed mode though. Does that mean that a picture is not available?

I'm using Vista 64.
rsharp@advancedgamin

****ERROR****
Invalid reference number for this picture

There may be an incorrect picture ID for that platform. I'd say it was a database issue.

What platform was it and which database?

Thanks,

-edit to show context.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
piotre

Post by piotre »

What platform was it and which database?

Well, that's an easy question to answer: all of them.
At least all of those I've tried, and I must have tried 30/40 different ships or planes or so.
And I wasn't looking at some strange platform from a 3rd world country.

I'm using the Standard Harpoon 3 database, I haven't changed anything since installing.

Also note this only happens in full screen mode, I can see the pictures all right in windowed mode.
sprior

Post by sprior »

Default install, Windows Vista,

Attachments
ue1.jpg
ue1.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 536 times
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

rsharp@advancedgamin

Well, that's an easy question to answer: all of them.

Also note this only happens in full screen mode, I can see the pictures all right in windowed mode.

The lower res pics used with the full screen mode were not included in the installers. I'll fix that and also offer to send them to you if you like.

I believe Darren Buckley, author of HUD3, expanded the picture set for the in-game picture viewer.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Doglussaha

Post by Doglussaha »

hi !!!

its really a informative post...

thanks for your information ...........

Return to “Tech Support”