Matrixgames takes over wargamer?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Andrew Williams

Matrixgames takes over wargamer?

Post by Andrew Williams »

Can that site be, in any way, considered independent any more?
ImageImage
Lützow

RE: Matrixgames takes over wargamer?

Post by Lützow »

What's going on with wargamer? I visit this site for more than 10 years. [:(]

Heard that people drift to armchair general now, but don't get why.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Longblade went to work for ACG. I don't think people quit Wargamer, just added ACG to their forum browsing, and I joined up over their too. It's not a problem, I don't browse many websites anyway, so adding ACG was no big deal. I'm not sure who replaced Longblade.

ACG feels clunky to me compared to the organization of Matrix and Wargamer, but that is all IMHO.

Of course I still think Matrix is clunky compared to the old format, but since I'm old...
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
D.Ilse

Post by D.Ilse »

I browse ACG, with about the same regard as I do at the newsstand..interesting sometimes, but not as much as WWII, WWII History and World At War Monthlys I normally buy to take home.
martok

Post by martok »

Yeah, I don't think there's going to be a mass exodus from WG to ACG. Most of us who frequent the former are simply planning on visiting the latter now as well. [8D]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

jomni

Post by jomni »

Matrix also affiliated with AGC (probably a mutual marketing channel)?
I see several AGC stuff in my Matrix game installs.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I think if you look at poster on Matrix, Wargamer and ACG you'll notice many familiar faces. The wargaming community is a small group of individuals at least those who choose to post on forums about this wonderful hobby of ours.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

While I can't speak for the Wargamer, I can speak for us. If you're referring to all the Harpoon: Ultimate Edition articles currently posted there, that's been planned for a very long time. It's basically a long-planned promotion for this imminent release through a lot of contributed AARs and similar articles. We are not taking over the site content and the timing of all these Harpoon articles with regard to Jim's departure is coincidental.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I actually like the Harpoon articles.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

While I can't speak for the Wargamer, I can speak for us. If you're referring to all the Harpoon: Ultimate Edition articles currently posted there, that's been planned for a very long time. It's basically a long-planned promotion for this imminent release through a lot of contributed AARs and similar articles. We are not taking over the site content and the timing of all these Harpoon articles with regard to Jim's departure is coincidental.

Regards,

- Erik

The way there are all those Harpoons in a row reminds me of a slot machine. [:)]
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I am drifting away from wargamer.com. Too many "strategy", fantasy, sci-fi, and FPS gamers, not enough "real" war gamers. If it weren't for the HPS sub-fora (HPS doesn't host its own forum, unfortunately), I see little reason to visit wargamer.com.

The Matrix Games Forum, on the other hand, is Home Sweet Home.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: martok

Yeah, I don't think there's going to be a mass exodus from WG to ACG. Most of us who frequent the former are simply planning on visiting the latter now as well. [8D]

I registered at ACG more than 2 years before I registered at Matrix-long before I knew Matrix existed. I spend much more time here as the games that I enjoy have active forums here-not so much there.

ACG does have some excellent reading available in the History forums and articles in its magazine. It also has a lively politics section-entertaining to say the least.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regards,

- Erik

The way there are all those Harpoons in a row reminds me of a slot machine. [:)]

Counter productive...it's sales overkill....I mean the whole page is full of harpoon articles.....
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

ORIGINAL: berto

I am drifting away from wargamer.com. Too many "strategy", fantasy, sci-fi, and FPS gamers, not enough "real" war gamers. If it weren't for the HPS sub-fora (HPS doesn't host its own forum, unfortunately), I see little reason to visit wargamer.com.

I have to agree about wargamer drifting away from wargaming. In the computer games section discussion now they are discussing "time travel" and "backwards space flight" <~~~~ two things that have nothing to do with well wargames or computer games discussions. Then of course there are the occassional technical threads in that same catagory about buying a new computer or console and what to get or what they got. More bragging or gloating really but still nothing to do with wargames.

Plus just too many rts games getting the wargame titles and they really aren't. The blend of strategy gaming and wargaming has taken over pretty much as well.

I would like the wargamer to do like Matrixgames more or less. Have a general discussion section and then individulized sections for discussing strategy games and then wargames and also perhaps even separate rts from turn based from first person shooters. I really like how Matrixgames has their site setup, but, they don't seem to have the traffic of the wargamer for discussion. Probably because Matrixgames does keep a tidy house of forums.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Oh yeah I didn't care for all those Harpoon aar's or whatever taking up all the review slots over at the wargamer either. There should be links from one if people are interested in reading more not take up the whole page. I'm more interested in reading about Making History II and how much it's improved since release. I'd like to read about the development of Crusader Kings II and how far along it is. Where's the previews of Panzer Command:Osfront? Where's the Guardians of Graxia review? etc. etc.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
htuna

Post by htuna »

LOL.. I was wondering what this post was about!.. I usually just have the Forums bookmarked... I agree, it looks ridiculous, they should have spaced the articles out a little.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: diablo1

ORIGINAL: berto

I have to agree about wargamer drifting away from wargaming. In the computer games section discussion now they are discussing "time travel" and "backwards space flight" <~~~~ two things that have nothing to do with well wargames or computer games discussions. Then of course there are the occassional technical threads in that same catagory about buying a new computer or console and what to get or what they got. More bragging or gloating really but still nothing to do with wargames.

Plus just too many rts games getting the wargame titles and they really aren't. The blend of strategy gaming and wargaming has taken over pretty much as well.

I would like the wargamer to do like Matrixgames more or less. Have a general discussion section and then individulized sections for discussing strategy games and then wargames and also perhaps even separate rts from turn based from first person shooters. I really like how Matrixgames has their site setup, but, they don't seem to have the traffic of the wargamer for discussion. Probably because Matrixgames does keep a tidy house of forums.
Or because wargamer isn't "leet" and sticks to an individuals pidgeon hole of wargaming. Because it discusses a wide variety of gaming and encourages it...? Maybe that's why there's more traffic. Ever wondered why one of Matrix Games busiest forums is the General Discussion? Have you seen the post count on some games here?

Matrix Games killed discussion on their game forums when they re-organised it. I NEVER scroll down past the first few releases...even though I still play a lot of the games that are way down in the darkest depths of their forum now. For me, they killed the discussion on any of their older titles...made even worse by sub-categorising them. I still play, to this day, Forge of Freedom (and many others - CotA etc) but I can't remember the last time I visited their forums. When the forums used to be organised by latest post, it was a doddle....you saw your latest game had a post and you went to read it...now you have to scroll down to the bottom of their forum, find the category, then the sub category then the game.

Sure, I know there's a "latest posts" search...but that didn't beat having forums listed by last post. That way the ones that died - well, died and the ones that were breathing lived on in the limelight. as it is...all the dead stuff is mixed in with some lively forums and games...bad news.

So I can't stand all the organising and sub-categorising. Besides, as I said, people will post in the busiest forum anyway...

Wargaming comes in all varieties. FPS. RTS. Turn Based. WeGo. IgoUgo. Ancient. WWI. WWII. Modern. There's absolutely no need to "leet" it and split it all...it's wargaming...pure and simple.

The title of the forum is General Computer Gaming. The discussion about slowing down in space originated from JH playing a game....hence why he put it in there...it was related to a game, a method within a game and what people thought.

As for the other threads - the mods need to tidy it up. There is a General Discussion forum over there - just most people use the main General Computer Gaming forum because there's more activity on it. You can introduce all types of other categories for forums if you really want - but if people are desperate for an answer they will most likely place it in the busiest forum.

I remember once I needed help with hardware and I posted in the General Computer Gaming forum because it was busy and I was most likely to get an answer there...there hadn't been a post in the General Discussion forum for about a week. As it was, the mods were obviously a little less tolerant back then and moved it to General Discussion.
Alba gu' brath
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

JD +1
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I tend to think that wargamer's general gaming forum has helped bring a pretty good number of players to discover more grog type games.&nbsp; Many times I've seen someone post about civ and a few weeks or months later express interest in WiTP, JTCS or any number of other grog type games.&nbsp; In general, I also think that most gamers don't just play one or two games or types of games.&nbsp; The reality is that if people want the details of a game they go to the offical forum or a dedicated game forum sites.&nbsp; The general game discussion forum there&nbsp;or the general forum here for that matter is more a getting an impression or a feel for a game.&nbsp; I learn about new games all the time thanks to the general discussion forum.&nbsp; Some of them are passes for me.&nbsp; Some go onto the check out later list.&nbsp; It does exactly what it should and I think a number of small developers, Matrix and other publishers have benefitted from the discussions at Wargamer.&nbsp; Some folks don't like that the forums and threads don't remain pure in their discussion, but frankly the discussion would get dry and stale after a very short time if they did.&nbsp;
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Matrix Games killed discussion on their game forums when they re-organised it. I NEVER scroll down past the first few releases...even though I still play a lot of the games that are way down in the darkest depths of their forum now. For me, they killed the discussion on any of their older titles...made even worse by sub-categorising them. I still play, to this day, Forge of Freedom (and many others - CotA etc) but I can't remember the last time I visited their forums. When the forums used to be organised by latest post, it was a doddle....you saw your latest game had a post and you went to read it...now you have to scroll down to the bottom of their forum, find the category, then the sub category then the game.

Sure, I know there's a "latest posts" search...but that didn't beat having forums listed by last post. That way the ones that died - well, died and the ones that were breathing lived on in the limelight. as it is...all the dead stuff is mixed in with some lively forums and games...bad news.

+1 - and this looks like the perfect spot for an "and I told you so at the time" sentence as well.
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
So I can't stand all the organising and sub-categorising. Besides, as I said, people will post in the busiest forum anyway...

You're on a roll [;)]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Return to “General Discussion”