Aircraft Squadrons and their HQ

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

a1981stingray

Aircraft Squadrons and their HQ

Post by a1981stingray »

was wondering about the effect on the aircraft squadrons that are operating out of range of their HQ's area.
For example:
Having SWPAC HQ in Cairns and B-17 Bombers in Cooktown.
If I transfer the squadrons to Noumea under SOPAC HQ, will the B-17 squadrons continue to receive their aircraft replacements and additional pilots from SWPAC HQ? Or will the squadron suffer penalties for being out of range of their assigned HQ?
what other problems come from relocating aircraft squadrons like fighters from one HQ to the other?

I found this.

10.7 Air HQs
Air HQ’s will help air operations within their operational radius. Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s command radius will have their number of
planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive missions. All other air strike missions by units outside an air HQ’s command radius will have the flying planes
reduced by 10%. The command radius for most air HQ’s is six hexes. However, Japanese air division HQs have a command radius of three hexes. Japanese
air brigade HQs have a command radius of one hex.

So what happens when I move the Air HQ to the other side of the map? Do the penalties still exist for the Bombers?
for example
If I move the SWPAC 5th Air Force HQ with the B-17 Bombers to Noumea will all aircraft fly or only the 25%?
Kingfisher

RE: Aircraft Squadrons and their HQ

Post by Kingfisher »

ORIGINAL: stingray
Having SWPAC HQ in Cairns and B-17 Bombers in Cooktown.
If I transfer the squadrons to Noumea under SOPAC HQ, will the B-17 squadrons continue to receive their aircraft replacements and additional pilots from SWPAC HQ?

AFAIK, yes.
Or will the squadron suffer penalties for being out of range of their assigned HQ?

Again, AFAIK, units are not assigned to any specific HQ. You can freely transfer squadrons, ships or ground units anywhere on the map. The one exception (that I know about) are the units assigned to Northern Command.
So what happens when I move the Air HQ to the other side of the map? Do the penalties still exist for the Bombers?

Only if they are outside the command radius of *any* air HQ.
If I move the SWPAC 5th Air Force HQ with the B-17 Bombers to Noumea will all aircraft fly or only the 25%?

The 25% is the amount the squadron is reduced, not the total available to fly.
"splendid was their tactic of diving upon our force from the direction of the sun, taking advantage of intermittent clouds"

-Captain Takahisa Amagai, KAGA, June 4th 1942

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”