Feature suggestion list

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

hank

RE: Feature suggestion list

Post by hank »

I'm a big command structure guy so:

* When you click on a units HQ (text at the left of the control panel, below the Div. Name) ... in addition to selecting the hex, bring the HQ counter to the top of the stack
* Add a button to bring all HQ counters to the top of all stacks

a ?: I may be missing this so pls forgive ... in the zoomed in view the big number on the counter is the overall strength number (going from memory, feable as it is). Is there a separate number for a units overall attack strength and overall defensive strength? (either in somewhere in the bottom panel or anywhere else?)
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: Borsook

1. Add supply button for units not only HQs - if you want to see how a unit gets its supply now you need to find the HQ first, which may make you lose sight of the unit in question.

2. If there are no units that can take part in an attack disable the attack buttons - currently even if you have nothing to attack with (or bomb) you can click on attack icon, even "all" button is clickable and they become grey only after clicking

Your second one is already included above:

12) The all attack and list button should be grayed out if no units are available to attack/bombard/air strike.

I have added the first one to the list.

ORIGINAL: hank

I'm a big command structure guy so:

* When you click on a units HQ (text at the left of the control panel, below the Div. Name) ... in addition to selecting the hex, bring the HQ counter to the top of the stack
* Add a button to bring all HQ counters to the top of all stacks

a ?: I may be missing this so pls forgive ... in the zoomed in view the big number on the counter is the overall strength number (going from memory, feable as it is). Is there a separate number for a units overall attack strength and overall defensive strength? (either in somewhere in the bottom panel or anywhere else?)

Have added both to list. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question though.

Updated to 1.5.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Nice overview. Thanks!

Glad to help Vic! Oh, and thanks for putting this list at the top of the forum.
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

I just want an OOB editor.....all this other stuff is just extra 'fluff'...[8D]
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Updated to 1.6.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Hey hank,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean when you say:
25) Improve the Combat Resolution pop up to make the losses easier to understand; and in the Air and Arty strike resolution pop-up provide more damage (estimates) info for enemy (I'm referring to the first box, not the Details box)
Some specific suggestions would probably help Vic come up with something better.
hank

Post by hank »

RocketMan,
I just completed a couple of attacks and this is what I'm talking about:
(I'm playing Axis vs the AI in the Poland scenario with combat numbers on instead of roundels)

After the attack on a Polish unit I see (on the defener side of the combat box):
an icon of infantry with the number 27 in white and 12 in red
an icon of machine gun with a white 1 and red 2
an icon of an AT gun with a white 1 (no red numbers)
an icon of armor with a white 1 (no red)

The defender icons jumped from the middle of the screen to the right and since the text says the enemy has Panicked I assume they've retreated (which they did) plus the message at the top says Attacker Won. (When attacker does not win or he runs out of AP, the defender icons stay in the middle ... obvious what that means, but there will be red numbers most of the time.)
The attacker side (left side) has similar icons and numbers and some of the icons jump from the center to the left with white and red numbers similar to the defender numbers but most of the icons stay in the middle.

What do the numbers for attacking infantry that jumped to the left mean (i.e., 27 white/ 12 red)? Are they numbers of men? (red=lost white=??) (Are these numerical loses?)
For armor or planes I assume the numbers mean numerical losses of equipment pieces but I'm not sure thus the questions.

When artillery strikes are made sometimes the attacking artillery shifts to the left but sometimes it does not. What does that mean? (they're not moving into another hex so why jump to the left)

When air strikes are made (so far) the planes always shift to the left which I take to mean they're returning to base. And when there's a red number I assume that's a lost plane.

IMHO, the results of an attack regarding losses for each side should show the type of asset with number of KIA and WIA for infantry, armor units lost, MG's lost, AT guns lost, etc etc. Something simple for an overall summarized recap of the action.

Maybe these numbers are telling me that but I'm finding infantry numbers to be confusing. Roundels are even more confusing to me.

The Detail screen is full of information but its confusing to because of the complexity of data per rounds and how its presented.

Sorry in advance if I still have not made myself clear. Its not affected my enjoyment of the game but then I'm not a micromanaging wargamer.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

I'm pretty sure the white numbers are the number of units that retreated during the combat. Try an attack with a unit with low action points and a unit with full action points and you will see the unit with low action points go all white after the round they use up their action points. For instance, if a unit only has 20 action points left when starting an attack, they will "retreat" from the combat after the second round. Same thing for Artillery units and I think air units.

On the defenders side, the white numbers are also units that retreated from the battle, but I think it is due to low moral or possible the retreat percentage setting for the unit.

The red numbers in all cases are units KIA/WIA.

Perhaps Vic can add more information on exactly how it works.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Updated to 1.7.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Rocketman,

This is a great effort. Thanks for taking this on.

BCG
cillmhor

Post by cillmhor »

The ability to save a game midway through a PBEM turn would be great, as sometimes it would be nice to save halfway through and come back, I couldn't find this feature?
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

You can save the game mid-turn if you don't use the PBEM option. Just choose the password option and then both you and your opponent can save as often as you want during the turn. The no save option for the PBEM setting is a way to make cheating by reloading save games more difficult.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Updated to 1.8.
cillmhor

Post by cillmhor »

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

You can save the game mid-turn if you don't use the PBEM option. Just choose the password option and then both you and your opponent can save as often as you want during the turn. The no save option for the PBEM setting is a way to make cheating by reloading save games more difficult.

Ahh, thanks for that.
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

Unit compare list should have categories for easier founding things, usually you want e.g. to compare your air unit to other air units, not anything else.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
hank

Post by hank »

A couple of othere items I noticed today.

- When building a air strike you get a list box to add and remove units for the attack.
You don't get one for Artillery or attack. You have to click ALL, then remove the units you don't want included. I think for consistency and efficiency the same type of list box would be helpful for all three types of attack.

- Add a similar color band to the max zoom unit counter (the one that's green yellow orange and red along the left edge or counter) that's similar to the mid zoom view counter. For me, this is a good overall indicator of strength.

- If there is such a calculation, Add somewhere on the interface a unit's overall Attack and Defense strengths. It could be in the unit info (lower left) or on the max zoom counter; I know there is a strength number on the max zoom but that's an overall number. Maybe this number is all others need and if so just nix this suggestion. But I've seen separate attack/defense numbers in many hex games to help gauge which units are at strength and which units have higher proficiencies at defense or attack.

thanks
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Updated to 1.9.

1.9 10/31/2010
Added #45 from Borsook.
Added #46-48 from hank.

Not that anybody but me reads this list, as nobody has even noticed the extra stuff I threw in there.
hank

Post by hank »

I read it before I posted ... just to be sure I wasn't duplicating something. This is a very good list ... I'm sure more people read it than you think ... and appreciate the effort.

[&o]
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: hank

I read it before I posted ... just to be sure I wasn't duplicating something. This is a very good list ... I'm sure more people read it than you think ... and appreciate the effort.

[&o]

No comments on #49 and 50?
hank

Post by hank »

well yea!? ... I expect everyone knows those to be jokes ... so ... I'm not sure how to respond. ... you get no competitive advantages because you put this (very useful) list together.

no special secret info ... codes ... etc. sorry. ... all you get is accolades for doing a very good job.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”