OT: A down and dirty top 10 or To help and purge the forum

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Central Blue

RE: OT: A down and dirty top 10 or To help and purge the forum

Post by Central Blue »

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

Since the film that shall not be mentioned was mentioned earlier. I got to thinking about if I was stuck on a Pacific island (or atoll) with only ten World War 2 Pacifc themed films to take with me, these would be my choices. THey are also in no particular order:

1. Pride of the Marines
2. King Rat
3. Air Force
3. Mister Roberts
4. Battle Cry
5. Attack Force Z
6. The Story of Dr. Wassell
7. The Gallant Hours
8. Torpedo Run
9. Salute to the Marines
10. Stand By For Action

Some of these are name brand, but most of these that I have chosen aren't seen that often anymore either on cable or on the store shelves.

Anyone else have some movies they would want to add to help purge the taint of the movie that shall not be named.

That's an interesting list and full of stuff new to me. I will have to check my Netflix queue.

The list of what I would take with me... The Best Years of Our Lives, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Sahara, Mr. Roberts, The Caine Mutiny, Twelve O'Clock High, Miracle of Morgan's Creek, maybe a few others.

Here's some Pacific specific stuff I haven't seen in ages, but it's what I grew up with when they still ran movies on TV or showed them in the basement of the church, and they should suit the purge urge, since they were all made during the war.

Bataan

Guadalcanal Diary

Flying Tigers

Wake Island

Air Force

Destination Tokyo

Gung Ho

The Fighting Sullivans

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year
Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

Add "Thin Red line" and HBO's "The Pacific"
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: Central Blue

Bataan

Guadalcanal Diary

Flying Tigers

Wake Island

Air Force

Destination Tokyo

Gung Ho

The Fighting Sullivans

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

These older ones are very, very good!! Every one should see these - no Doubt!! Also, add "I Bombed Pearl Harbor" if you can find it. Don Bowen mentioned it to me and I was only able to get it on VHS, but it is very good. Alot of the scenes for the Japanese were used in the movie MIDWAY. Even the beginning of MIDWAY had scenes from "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo".

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
JWE

Post by JWE »

Hell in the Pacific
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
Beat you both on post #22 [:'(]

Sorry, rt, I was number four. [:'(]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
stuman

Post by stuman »

" Windtalkers should be banned with the other film about Pearl Harbor... " +1.

Too bad about Windtalkers , an interesting topic.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

YankeeAirRat

Post by YankeeAirRat »

Not windtalkers the topic, but "Windtalkers" the movie
Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

Not windtalkers the topic, but "Windtalkers" the movie

Agreed. That movie was poorly made. I wish someone would do the topic justice.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

War History

Post by War History »

First off, from a pure entertainment point of view, Kelly's Heros is the greatest movie ever made.

As for WWII pacific movies, one people are over looking is PT109. Loved Cliff Robertson in that movie. The hoops they had to jump through to get that boat approved was good humor.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: VSWG

I think it's a Vietnam movie in a WW2 setting... [;)]

They Were Expendable should be IMO on that list, too.
+1

(to both points. [:D])
Pax
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

I'd add "Kokoda" which came out a few years ago from Australia. You understand after why you don't want to fight in the jungle...

I see most of the Pacific films have been mentioned and they're all great, including the more "propagandish" ones made during the war. I'd add "Gung Ho" with Randolph Scott (about Carlson's raiders on Makin) made in 1943. I would also add two of my comic favorites with Cary Grant, "Operation Petticoat" and "Father Goose".

And yes, I find "Kelly's Heroes" a whopping fun yarn (so what if it couldn't really fit the WWII movie label even though they did their best to use real WWII equipment).

Oh, another Pacific one: "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

How about To End All Wars?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Grave of the fireflies

This masterpiece is not a traditional war movie, but it's japanese anime. It's about two siblings that survive Kobe fire bombing, and trying to cope in late war Japan when things are getting worse and worse.

Saddest movie ever. I mean ever.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Grave of the fireflies

This masterpiece is not a traditional war movie, but it's japanese anime. It's about two siblings that survive Kobe fire bombing, and trying to cope in late war Japan when things are getting worse and worse.

Well, I haven't seen this one, but it would have to go a far piece to be sadder than "Sophie's Choice."
The Moose
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Old Yeller.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Agreed, one of my favorite Pacific WW2 movies.. A notch below the Great Raid but right there with Letters, and a notch above The Thin Red Line IMO.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mchale's Navy Joins the Air Force thus far.[:'(][;)]

Given the time it was made I give Objective Burma high marks.

I haven't seen Empire of the Sun yet, can I get a 411 on it?

Thanks. [:)]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

[biting but good-natured sarcasm on] Well, that explains it. So Kelly's Heroes was a Pacific Theater movie? I dadgum well knew that it didn't portray anything in Europe. [biting but good-natured sarcasm off]

Kelly's Heroes is not a WWII movie. It's a Vietnam movie. And a terrible one at that. I realize there's a solid subset of decent AE Matrix Forums folks that like this movie, but you guys just have scales over your eyes. One day those scales will fall from your eyes and you will be mortified that you had any good thought about this movie.

If I had to choose WWII Pacific-Theater movies, my list wood begin strong and quickly taper off, in this order: Mr. Roberts, Tora Tora Tora, Bridge over the River Kwai, the two modern Iwo Jima Movies, Midway (they really tried to do this one right), and that would be about it.

If anybody dares to list Thin Red Line or Windtalkers....

I would add In Harm's Way.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Grave of the fireflies

Well, I haven't seen this one, but it would have to go a far piece to be sadder than "Sophie's Choice."

From a sadness scale 1-10, Sophie's Choice is about 6. Greave of the fireflies is 10. At least that's how I see it.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Grave of the fireflies

From a sadness scale 1-10, Sophie's Choice is about 6. Greave of the fireflies is 10. At least that's how I see it.

Anime is a CARTOON, right? Sadder than Nazis making a mother choose which of her children will be murdered? That must be some animaiton there . . .
The Moose
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
ORIGINAL: tocaff

Agreed, one of my favorite Pacific WW2 movies.. A notch below the Great Raid but right there with Letters, and a notch above The Thin Red Line IMO.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mchale's Navy Joins the Air Force thus far.[:'(][;)]

Given the time it was made I give Objective Burma high marks.

I haven't seen Empire of the Sun yet, can I get a 411 on it?

Thanks. [:)]

Objective Burma a great movie for its time, I suppose "Pearl Harbor" was as well.
From a movie review site
The strangest sequence (at least to modern viewers) has the paratroopers expressing horror and disgust at a vicious sneak attack by the Japanese-which occurs only a few reels after the Americans have staged an equally merciless attack on a Japanese unit! In England, Objective Burma was taken to task by newspaper journalist who felt that the Americans were unfairly taking full credit for the success of the Burmese campaign. The ensuing hue and cry compelled Warner Bros. to issue an apology, and to withhold the British release of the film until 1952, at which time it was accompanied by a lengthy prologue title extolling England's contribution to the Burma invasion.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”