Movements on the strategic map

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
Amgot

Movements on the strategic map

Post by Amgot »

I have a few questions about the strategic part of the game which are not fully answered in the manual. They mostly relate to BG movements on the strategic map and their effect on deployment zones.

1. Reinforcement BGs: time of arrival and other stuff

First, when you click on the arrow next to the current day indicator, new reinforcement BGs appear on the map. According to the manual, this feature is useful because it allows the player to see where his reinforcement BGs may arrive on the date shown. I'm not sure about something though : when you click on the arrow, the date switch to the next day, not the next turn. Does this mean that the reinforcement BGs which appear on the map will arrive next turn or the next day at the same time (i.e in five turns)?

Second, if they arrive next turn, what happens if a friendly BG already occupies the map? For example, in a situation where a reinforcement BG is set to arrive on Dog Green but that the sector hasn't been cleared yet: I know the BG on the map has to leave for the reinforcement BG to land (the manual is pretty clear about that).
Now, say I took control of one VL which allows me to move my BG forward inland or to another adjacent beach sector, thus leaving the sector for the incoming reinforcement BG: will the latter inherit the same zone of control on the tactical map the previous BG conquered during the first battle or will he have start from the beginning again (i.e controling only one VL on the beach)?
If the BG on the beach cannot move out of the map, but that the next sector of the beach (let's say Dog Red) has been cleared by another BG, which then proceeded to move inland. The map is free of friendly battlegroups: will the reinforcement BG set to arrive on Dog Green rerout to Dog Red? The manual seems to idnciate that it does but I want to make sure of that:

"If the Battle Group is trying to arrive on a designated map , but cannot because there was another friendly Battle Group on the map, it finds the closest open “friendly” supply depot to it’s initial deploy map and deploys there."

Third, if no friendly BG occupies the map and an enemy battlegroup attacks the same turn a reinforcement BG is set to arrive in the area, what happens? For example, a glider regiment is set to arrive next turn in Ste Mere Eglise, where no friendly BG is present: will this result in a meeting engagement? Or does the German BG takes control of the map and the arriving reinforcement glider BG start with only one VL? Or is it the opposite?

2. General movement on the strategic map

I find the "Moving battlegroups" section of the manual to be lacking. As far as I know, when swapping BGs between sectors A and B, if one of them was fighting the enemy, the new BG loses whatever gains the previous BG had made on that map (which is pretty stupid IMO but that's not the point).
But now, let's examine a situation a little bit more complex: I'm moving BG #1 from sector A to sector B and BG #2 from sector C to sector A. On the same turn, an enemy BG moves onto sector A: is it a meeting engagement between BG#2 and the enemy BG or is BG#2 supposed to have taken control of the whole map before the enemy BG arrives?

3. Why does the manual state that "Each strategic turn represents several hours of fighting. There are normally two strategic turns over the course of a day"? Isn't there 4 day turns and 1 night turn each day?
Andrew Williams

RE: Movements on the strategic map

Post by Andrew Williams »

1. 5 turns
2. 1 VL on the beach
3. No.. it will wait for it's map to become available (99%sure)... I think your quote refers to returning disbanded BG's.
4. If the map was in enemy control...which if it is an allied para drop then it was.... Then the German BG has control of the map and the paras have random Drop zones.
5. Again pretty sure that in the scenario you scribe it will be a  meeting engagement.
6. manual error carried over from WaR/CC5

Most of the issues you raise have been addressed in LSA
ImageImage
Amgot

Post by Amgot »

Thanks a lot, Andrew.

About the time of arrival of reinforcement BGs, Priapus on CCS said : "Reinforcements always arrive on the first turn of each day i.e. the day immediately after the night turn" while you say that they arrive five turns later (i.e they can can arrive during any day turn). The fact that you can't choose turns when you click on the next day arrow seems to indicate that Priapus is right and that reinforcement BGs, for the sake of simplicity, always arrive on the first turn of each day. Is that correct?
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

My reply was to this question which I mis-understood slightly
Does this mean that the reinforcement BGs which appear on the map will arrive next turn or the next day at the same time (i.e in five turns

They will arrive on the first day turn of the next day as priapus stated...  (Or 5 turns later if you are currently on the first turn)

ImageImage
Amgot

Post by Amgot »

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”