Illinois Yankee in the Showa Emperor's Court (Q-Ball v Canoe)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Q-Ball

RE: Illinois Yankee in Showa Court (Q-Ball v Canoe)

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, May 10-11, 1942:

Battle of Gau Island: I had a small cruiser force, that has visited Suva twice with no results (I've done this in the Aleutians too, but so far, I've hit air all around). Finally, I found something, and it was a good hit:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Gau Island at 133,162, Range 18,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa
CA Furutaka
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Asagumo
DD Shiratsuyu

Allied Ships
AP Tasker H. Bliss, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AP Henry T. Allen, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Kansan, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Sagadahoc, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
PC Crawford, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
2956 casualties reported
Squads: 210 destroyed, 263 disabled
Non Combat: 294 destroyed, 178 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 121 (119 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 114 (108 destroyed, 6 disabled)

There was a unit or two on those ships; must have been infantry based on the fact that there were no engineers.

Killing a bunch of transports is good, particularly the Harris-Class which turn into valuable APAs later on. But there is NOTHING better than slaughtering transports packed with troops. Yay, Empire![8D]

INDIA: I haven't posted a map in awhile of the Northeast. We are closing out Calcutta; units are slowly evacuating, but we are attacking tommorow to hurry them along. We should have the rail line cleared fairly soon.

In the South, not sure we can surround the 20th Infanry, but we'll try.

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (247.41 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

... the all-Allied-player (which I am and so is CR) mindset that supply just happens. There isn't the normal Japanese player's habit of looking at industry, raw matl, etc. all of the time. The Japanese player guards supplies and thinks about them. The Allied player has supply to burn, and that makes for bad habits ...

Not this little black duck, and I can immediately think of two very well known players whose focus on Allied logistics matches and would surpass many a Japanese player.[:)]

But you are generally correct and that is probably the main reason why so many players dislike China. It is simply not possible to play a good game in China if logistics is not accorded the prime consideration in tha theatre.

Alfred
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: TheLoneGunman

Would it be "gamey" to leave some of those Indian cities in Allied hands and simply let the uprisings in them take a toll on Allied VP and PP (do they lose PP for uprisings?)?

If you can't take the whole thing, make him pay for abandoning the sections he's going to need to hit you back eventually.

If PP is lost as well, you're effectively crippling his ability to transfer units elsewhere.

Yes
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

... My options:

1. KEEP GOING IN INDIA
2. INVADE West Australia: This would attract US Army troops no doubt, but taking Perth would really keep the USN out of the Indian Ocean.
3. INVADE NORTHEAST OZ: I evacuated Cooktown, but coming back with several divisions would change the tune
4. FIJI
5. MIDWAY
6. ALEUTIANS
7. RAID: PEARL HARBOR REDUX, Perhaps? If I am really lucky, the USN CVs are sitting there.

I would prefer a target that will bring out the US Fleet. That is most likely Midway, though that island isn't worth much in terms of points, or really anything other than an irritating base.

These are just a few preliminary comments. I'll come back with more detail after I've looked at the map and thought about the issues.

1. You may need to keep going in India, at least until you reach the trigger line, just to capture sufficient resource centers to feed your major Indian industrial centers. I need to check this, but the Indian industry north of the trigger line may be dependent on access to resource centers south of the trigger line. Some of the resource centers are located in dot base hexes.

2. Be very careful you do not trigger Australian reinforcements. I'm not certain which hexes trigger the reinforcements. IIRC it is one hex below Brisbane, but is it a straight horizontal line, in which case Perth would be a trigger. If it is safe to invade Western Australia and not trigger reinforcements, you should consider landing Esperance and driving north to capture Kalgoorlie. That would trap the Perth garrison.

3. A Japanese controlled north east Australia opens up the possibility of racking up strategic point VPs by bombing Australian industry. It also allows for destruction of Allied local supply generation and of Australian aircraft production.

4. Fiji only makes sense to me if the intention is to destroy the local garrison and once accomplished move the same conquering Japanese units to Tonga, rinse and repeat to Samoa, rinse and repeat to Cook Islands, ditto Marquesas etc. If this is not completely achievable, I would hesitate starting the process by invading Fiji. You don't need to capture Fiji if your intention is to invade New Zealand, but that operation is very questionable IMHO.

5. Only if the intention is to ultimately move on to Hawaii (see my post of some months back). Otherwise, such a late term invasion of Midway, in the face of a completely undamaged USN fleet, is merely creating a very vulnerable outpost. It would be only slightly less vulnerable if you also captured Johnston Island and then the Line Islands, but then only because the Allies would have a plethora of tragets to choose from.

6. Aleutians could be good, depending on how much you think your opponent has built them up. Small garrison, isolated, non mutually supportive bases, would be a tempting target if you can land two divisions at a time. If you go down this path of destroying small garrisons, don't overlook Nome which has probably not been reinforced as it is usually too far away from the frontline. You could capture and then abandon Nome.

7. I understand your reluctance to invade Hawaii but there is one scenario which makes the the cost of the invasion worthwhile. A Japanese Hawaii serving as the base of operations for an invasion of the West Coast. That is not such a fantastical idea as it might seem at first for the following reasons.

(a) the follow on landing on the West Coast would occur close to the majical 4:1 auto victory period that you would not need to capture too many cities before it kicks in
(b) as your time on the ground would be short, the American reinforcements could be largely dismissed
(c) the late invasion would benefit from the usual Allied praxis of buying out units and sending them elsewhere, leaving little to defend against a full Japanese invasion (or whatever you can scrape together after garrisoning India)
(d) not too many Allied players would bother building forts on the West Coast. Combine this with (c) and you mioght be surprised at how weak the Allied defences are
(e) with Hawaii as your base, think of all the fun you will have sinking all those Allied troop convoys rushing back to the West Coast with those out of position Allied LCUs

Alfred
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Would it be "gamey" to leave some of those Indian cities in Allied hands and simply let the uprisings in them take a toll on Allied VP and PP (do they lose PP for uprisings?)?

If you can't take the whole thing, make him pay for abandoning the sections he's going to need to hit you back eventually.

If PP is lost as well, you're effectively crippling his ability to transfer units elsewhere.

Yes

Why exactly would it be gamey. We are talking here about Allied owned cities which have not been captured by Japan and which the Allied player has voluntarily abandoned, presumably to concentrate his forces elsewhere. If anyone is being gamey here, it would be Q-Ball's opponent. There is nothing in the rule book which says that Japan must capture every base in India, all it says is that for certain bases, there is a requirement on the owner (whether Allied or Japan) to garrison them or else suffer certain minor consequences.

Alfred
modrow

Post by modrow »

Alfred,

Why exactly would it be gamey. We are talking here about Allied owned cities which have not been captured by Japan and which the Allied player has voluntarily abandoned, presumably to concentrate his forces elsewhere. If anyone is being gamey here, it would be Q-Ball's opponent. There is nothing in the rule book which says that Japan must capture every base in India, all it says is that for certain bases, there is a requirement on the owner (whether Allied or Japan) to garrison them or else suffer certain minor consequences.

Alfred

In general, I agree that noone forces anybody to take or evacuate a city, so it is up to you to decide whether you take it or not and/or whether to evacuate it or not and bear the consequences. As a matter of fact, garrisoning India in an appropriate way (using the available units of low value in combat while freeing the ones that are useful) is one of the important organization tasks of the Allied player - I usually shuffle around quite a number of units in India to get it right.

I would be less sure if the supply flow routine would not work as it is supposed to (some people seem to have concerns about that). If you decide not to take a city that is sitting on your supply route, you should feel the consequences of having to bypass it.

Just my 2cts.

Hartwig
d0mbo

Post by d0mbo »

I am curious to know as well, does Perth and Surroundings trigger additional reinforcements?

veji1

Post by veji1 »

No I don't think so the line under Brisbane is a hex line, therefore it is going south-west to north east mapwise, it think this lines cover mainly Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne. In the west you can go all the way to Adelaide without triggering it.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Yes

Alfred

Let me qualify my answer for you. If the base is behind Japenese lines then yes it is gamey. You would in effect be "harvesting free PPs" and that smacks of gamey to me.

I don't think either side historically would leave any ungarrisoned enemy base in their rear. Do you?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Jaroen

Post by Jaroen »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I would like to go for it actually, because the other strategic options are not particularly appealing. And if Dan feels threatened, he might actually bring out the fleet.

Big Problem: That 3380 AV Garrison requirement! How much AV can I get to Karachi, with much of that needed to garrison the route? Even if I skip alot of town, I will still have several divisions tied-up this way.

A preliminary step, before 100% committing, would be the occupation of Goa, which gives me a base on the Arabian Sea, and also, as a bonus, does not have a garrison requirement. I can also land at Socotra as another base, though not sure if that triggers the reinforcements or not. Both can help interdict Karachi.

Using surface ships without CVs would bring out the US CVs for sure within a month, the time it would take to transit there. It wouldn't surprise me if Dan was already stationing his CVs in Australia or Capetown, in case things in India deteriorate further, rather than way in the Pacific. If they aren't in one of those places, then it's probably because he is planning a counterstrike somewhere to take some pressure off, likely somewhere I would have to commit ground units, like the Solomons or SRA. But who knows, I really can't be sure where they are or what they are doing.

You're doing great! Congratulations sofar for pushing the Brits on an apparent retreat! [&o]

I fully agree with your estimate of combat possibilities on the India mainland. It'd be a great fight and you might even win many battles. But it would most likely end up like a swamp sucking in man and material for no gain in the end.

I was expecting more of a fight by the allies and am surprised by the seemingly weak resistance. When playing Japan against the AI I found it very hard to crack a defensive Calcutta (with forts and strong air support). But you seemingly crushed CR's air or made him withdraw it. Isn't Calcutta good defensible terrain with an interesting defensive modifier? Do you think it's correct to assume the allies don't have any solid units left on the Eastern half of India?

On the subject of the fast retreating Allied units.
Do you have any base forces on land to setup a well placed base to use for interdiction bombardments? Bombarded forces change from fast moving units to combat marches. That might help you in slowing them!

As for possible future tagets; go for the VP's!!!
The easier won the better, and any side goal achieved is a bonus.
If (big IF!!!) India is going quickly would you have some spare units left from that area? If so, would they have any benefit in South West China??? For example, as in challenging possession of the rail line from Vietnam into China and possibly even connecting toward the Canton/HongKong area??? Perhaps they would offer the small extra strenght to push some defenders over the brink and help you with some VP rich targets??? BTW, this is mainly to help with brainstorming on potential future targets and possibilities. The China action is only viable with enough forces in defense on India and the DEI.

Good luck rebel hunting!
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, May 13-16, 1942:

Calcutta: There was a stack of units in Calcutta, including alot of AA I would love to have made retreat, but alas, they escaped to the north. The Fort William unit is the only one left; we should have Calcutta taken tommorow.

Otherwise, we are already moving west of Calcutta; Howrah has fallen, and we are closing in on Jamshedpur.

Guerillas: A refugee unit emerged from the jungle and took Magwe! We will take it back shortly, but that would be irritating if the facilities were damaged. I hope I can get some of these cut-off units to surrender, instead of just keep retreating.

Goa: I landed troops at Goa. I forgot to move a CV for air support, so Stringbags from Bombay sortied and sank an APD and AMC. OUCH! I need to be smarter than that! Bad me.

This Goa landing will give me a Naval Base on the Arabian Sea, as well as closer to Bombay, a future target.

Subs: We lost a good DD to a sub off Colombo, the Wakaba. I have lost only 3 DDs so far, all of them to Subs. Ouch!

My subs keep getting AKs, but it's been awhile since I hit anything more interesting than that.

Luzon: My hodgepodge force of 800-ish AV (garrison units and odds and ends), has reduced the forts twice. I have to rest the troops for a few days, but I am not in any hurry here; once Clark falls, then Bataan should fall as soon as I can get there.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

9 sacks in the first half Brad.
What will this game end up being??
[center]Image[/center]
Johraiken

Post by Johraiken »

New to the game (more of a Hearts of Iron player), but I have to say I have been reading this with interest.
One of the more interesting strategies I read in the AAR's
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

ORIGINAL: Johraiken

New to the game (more of a Hearts of Iron player), but I have to say I have been reading this with interest.
One of the more interesting strategies I read in the AAR's

I played Hearts of Iron too. The AI in WITP/AE is light years ahead of HOI. You may want to give it a shot.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

9 sacks in the first half Brad.
What will this game end up being??
Can't figure out the NFC East. I am beginning to think 9-7 will win that divison and the wild card will come from elsewhere.
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Yes

Alfred

Let me qualify my answer for you. If the base is behind Japenese lines then yes it is gamey. You would in effect be "harvesting free PPs" and that smacks of gamey to me.

I don't think either side historically would leave any ungarrisoned enemy base in their rear. Do you?

If there were no enemy troops present and it held no stratigic value, I could see leaving it behind to the "rebels"
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Q-Ball,

A follow up to my post #284.

Having now looked at the map, the particular tilt which exists to the Australian continent layout means that a horizontal line 1 hex south of Brisbane, allows for a Japanese landing as far east as Port Augusta without triggering the Allied reinforcements. This means that you have these options for Australian operations:

(a) land at Port Augusta. This intersects the Trans Australian Railway and cuts off the Western Australian garrison from being reinforced overland. Perth industry, provided it retains access to the Kalgoorlie resources, will be able to support about 3 Allied divisions, or about 1300 AV. From Port Augusta you can quickly capture the adjacent Whyally to give you mutually supportive airbases. This toe hold will allow you to bomb Adelaide industry (4 hexes distant) and even Geelong (11 hexes distant ) and Melbourne (12 hexes distant) to accumulate strategic VPs. A short advance further east to capture the major mining centre, Broken Hill, will assist in starving the Australian east coast industrial centres.

(b) land at Esperance and move north to capture Kalgoorlie. This allows you to also cut off the Western Australian garrison from overland reinforcement, albeit at a slower pace than if yhou land at Port Augusta. It would be a race against time to reach Kalgoorlie before your opponent could rail his Adelaide (or Perth) garrison to reinforce Kalgoorlie. If you win the race you can then move against Perth whose industry would feed a sizeable Japanese garrison. It might also be in your long term interest to send some of your DEI fuel (probably from the smaller DEI refineries) to feed Perth's Heavy Industry rather than the Home Islands (shorter distance, stretches Allied sub resources to new areas). Owning Perth's small shipyard allows you to base some subs to cut off Allied convoys from Cape Town.

(c) land north of Brisbane with the intention of capturing Brisbane and Toowoomba, which are mutually supporting aribases. From Brisbane, your airforce can strike at industry (for strategic VPs) at Newcastle (7 hexes), Sydney (9 hexes) and Port Kembla (10 hexes). Unfortunately, compared to either (a) or (b) above, you are likely to meet the strongest Allied resistance on this front as Allied supply lines are much shorter with better rail lines and numerous bases to house Allied airplanes.

My suspicion is that if you commence a strategic bombing campaing in Australia, you will greatly surprise your opponent. He probably will not have prepared for it as Japanese players rarely contemplate earning VPs by this route. Strategic bombing not only will earn VPs but it can also reduce Australian aircraft production, thereby putting even more pressure on the limited Allied aircraft replacement pools.

With regard to my earlier comments on India, notwithstanding the garrison requirements, I do think you will have to advance at least to the trigger line, and perhaps even to cross it. Stopping short of the trigger line still leaves the Allies with significant local supply generation capacity. Within that zone, the Allies produce sufficient resources (with a small surplus) to fully feed their Light Industry. That would generate 500 supply points daily. A further 20 daily supply points would be generated by the Rawalpindi refinery. However, once the existing stockpiles have been exhausted, there would be insufficient resources and fuel to fully feed the 120 Heavy Industry centers. On average, the remaining Allied Heavy industry would probably be able to produce another 1350 supply points monthly (= 45 daily). With a long term Allied capacity of generating at least 565 supply points daily (not including any supply shipped in or being able to use stockpiles) approximately some 4500 AV could be maintained. Even without triggering Allied reinforcements, the remaining Allied forces would represent a substantial counter attack capability. By advancing at least up to the trigger line you gain the following:

(d) airbases to bomb Indian resource centers/heavy + light industry. Although this will not garner you any strategic VPs (unlike Australia) it will starve the enemy and make it much more difficult for them to launch an offensive against your Indian conquests which because of the garrison requirements means you will have many small garrisons which invite defeat in detail from a well supplied and concentrated Allied overland counter attack

(e) the option to cross the trigger line with the intention of advancing on Karachi via Ahmedabad, Jodphur and Hyderabad (Sindh). Including in this advance the small desert bases Bikaner, Ajmer and Jaipur which because of their surplus resources production, would be extremely valuable, you could cut off the remaining Indian bases from importing the necessary resources to even run their Light Industry at 100% capacity.

(f) if in response to (e) above your opponent voluntarily withdraws from his interior bases to Karachi, you gain the benefit of earning VPs (note they would reduce the Allied denominator and are therefore of more value than the equivalent destruction of Allied devices) without the need to garrison the interior bases (eg Delhi, Lahore, Amritsar etc). Nor would the supply blockage be an issue for you as you would not have any forces to supply in the area.

Alfred
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, May 17-20, 1942:

STATUS: Dan has been on a hiking trip this week, and I am going camping this weekend, so between our outdoors activities, hardly any AE.

Calcutta: Calcutta fell on the 20th; the Fort William unit surrendered, with another 5K POWs. I don't know how many troops I have captured in India, but the Allied Ground Losses are almost 10,000 pts, and I have not liquidated the Phillipines (not even Mindinao).

ASANSOL also fell, we mauled an Indian Bde there, acheiving 69-1 odds with only a division attacking. We destroyed over half the squads in the unit. With that kind of result, it's no wonder that Dan is retreating; I wonder if he'll even make a stand short of Delhi. I have to assume he is aware of the Trigger Line for reinforcements.

JAMSHEDPUR also fell, but there was noone home. NE India is pretty much done.

South India: We landed support troops at GOA, and are driving toward BELLARY, to open a rail connection to COCANDA and ultimately CALCUTTA. This will allow a big shift of troops to attack BOMBAY, which given the tough terrain there, Dan might actually choose to defend.

MADRAS is basically open, still in Allied hands but only a fort unit defending. We'll take care of that shortly.

Deigo Garcia: I have not forgotten this point; just prepping troops for it. Recon shows 5000 defenders in 2 units, so Dan must have dropped a combat unit there. I need it to screen the Bay of Bengal, so I have that on my list.

I have had a line of AVs off the Cocos Islands for almost 2 months, and they have not sighted any Allied convoys. Now that Addu is in my hands, I think it's safe to assume that there are no on-map convoys accross the Indian Ocean to OZ. I will probably pull those guys in, or send them to another spot.....

Phillipines: We are resting awhile before another attack at Clark; the last one dropped the forts to 1 and was a 2-1, but we had alot of disabled squads. I am letting them rest; I think he's out of supplies, so building the forts again isn't possible, and he can't recover any disablements. I think he's out, because I lowered the altitude of my bombers as an experiment, and they are STILL attracting hardly any fire.

Once Luzon falls, I will prep some units for CEBU and MINDANAO. I am not in a particular hurry; those units aren't going anywhere, and can't really hurt me either.

Looking Ahead: Dan will not fight on this side of the Trigger Line, it seems, except maybe Bombay. My RECON, as far as it can see, sees only retreating troops, and they are moving past stronger defensive points. It's decision time now, because I can easily march accross most of India right now, but I will "lose" troops on my way to Delhi, simply due to garrison requirements.

CALCUTTA, UNDER JAPANESE OCCUPATION:

Attachments
HooglyKolkata1945.jpg
HooglyKolkata1945.jpg (205.54 KiB) Viewed 96 times
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Dan has been on a hiking trip this week

Seems his whole Army is hiking! Now if you could only get him to go sailing!
[:D]
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Hey Q-Ball, I just caught up on this great AAR.  I was thinking India was the way to go way back when you were pondering your next move.  India is nice because it's in a corner of the world that the US fleet rarely goes.  You can totally outnumber and outclass the RN.  Allied reinforcements have to come from within.  The US is too far away to get reinforcements there in time.  The garrison requirements are a bear though.  In my PBEM, I'm learning about garrison requirments in Burma.  That's eating my offensive strength alive.  5 point garrisons suck!

I'm beginning to think that most PPs will be spent on ground units coming from Manchuoko.

Edit: Oh yeah, how to bring out the US fleet..... In my opinion, you don't need to invade something. You only need to make him think you're invading something important. Still not sure what important target will bring them out though...
Created by the amazing Dixie

Return to “After Action Reports”