The AI

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

jomni

The AI

Post by jomni »

I have to commend the developers for benig honest and not actually claiming to have the holy grail in AI development.

The hardest level states that the AI is only "somewhat more capable". Lol!

Rocko911

RE: The AI

Post by Rocko911 »

I think you will find the AI to be a good challenge. I know I have.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Any plans to add an AI for Carthage post-release?
Gbaz

Post by Gbaz »

The AI at advanced will kick your rear end... Its not just the Ai, your Senate tends to work against you.
shauny1987

Post by shauny1987 »

I found the demo ai to be considerable, I got my ass kicked! It seems impressive.
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

With regards to the Senate working against Hannibal. While this is historically accurate: There was a strong faction that actually wanted Hannibal to fail so that he wouldn't become a dominating figure in Carthaginian politics. They didn't quite realize that they were as vulnerable to total defeat as they were.

However, in my first 'hard level' game, the Carth Senate actually made a couple of pretty poor decisions:

North Africa was invaded and I recommended that they 'Improve the defenses of North Africa', a decison that would have been in alignment with their interests, and they decided to promote a raid on Corsica and Sardinia. This seems off to me. This was in confict with their heirarchy of needs as well as just foolish given the current circumstances. Historically the Carthaginian 'Suffet' had complex interests, but their heirarchy would have been:

1. Defend North Africa
2. Hold onto Spain
3. Reclaim Sicily
4. Reclaim Corsica and Sardinia
5. Support Hannibal's adventure into Italy (Moves into Italy and Gual)

GMoney

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”