Hannibal: Carthage in the Second Punic War

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Hertston

RE: Hannibal: Carthage in the Second Punic War

Post by Hertston »

Expensive, way too expensive. Again.

TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Well, I'm never one to underestimate the value of $50 or whatever Matrix is charging, but value, especially for entertainment, is highly relative. Fifty bucks will buy a middling dinner and a movie. Or it can buy you a game like Hannibal that will put your time to far more interesting use. Of course Hannibal costs too much. Everything does. But you're guaranteed a continuing return on your investment here, which is not generally the case with money spent on fun.

Tim

jjax

Post by jjax »

ORIGINAL: TJD

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Well, I'm never one to underestimate the value of $50 or whatever Matrix is charging, but value, especially for entertainment, is highly relative. Fifty bucks will buy a middling dinner and a movie. Or it can buy you a game like Hannibal that will put your time to far more interesting use. Of course Hannibal costs too much. Everything does. But you're guaranteed a continuing return on your investment here, which is not generally the case with money spent on fun.

Tim

Or it could buy you Civ 5...which is probably a better way to judge the value of your PC buck. Mind you, I have not tried the demo, but I have trouble believing that this game has as much depth as Civ 5. At the moment, expensive seems to be spot on.
--JJAX

TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: jjax

Or it could buy you Civ 5...which is probably a better way to judge the value of your PC buck. Mind you, I have not tried the demo, but I have trouble believing that this game has as much depth as Civ 5. At the moment, expensive seems to be spot on.

Well, I don't think everyone would agree that Civ 5 is the benchmark of value in PC gaming. It certainly isn't to me, or for that matter anyone I know. I'm sure it's a great game, though. So's Hannibal. It's a relative thing, you know. Which was the point.

Tim
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I played the original demo and loved it.  The AI crushed me a couple of times (after two turns!) but most of the time I cursed the fact the demo was so short because I wanted to see what happened next.

The AI was different in every game I played btw.

I can see why people don't want to pay 40 bucks for a small game but for me this will be a must buy.

PJJ

Post by PJJ »

I've been playing Hannibal for a few hours today and I can honestly say I don't regret this purchase at all. For me, the price wasn't high, but I can understand if some people feel it is. However, if you are at all interested in ancient history and warfare, I feel this game is a must-buy. The AI is probably the best I've ever seen in any strategy game. And gameplay is so effortless and smooth that you can concentrate in the most important thing, strategy, without having to fight against a clumsy user interface. There are too many strategy games with absolutely awful usability - Hannibal is not one of them. Replayability is not a problem, because the situation can develop in so many ways depending on the cards etc. And it's really easy to start a new game, nothing like the first turn in WitP. [:)]
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

What about replay value and also typical game length?

I've played a lot -- more than two dozen games -- and I've never known two games to be alike. There is lots of variability in combat results, politics, and AI decision-making, so it's a new game every time. It is really very fluid and what worked in the last game may not work at all in the next one.

As for game length, it's as variable as the rest of it. I've been beaten in 5 moves, but I don't believe I've ever won in less than 12. I can't put a real-time value on a typical game because I tend to dither and am not very efficient that way. You have to move carefully because the game places a premium on efficient organization and sequencing of moves, so you want to put in the time and really think things through.

HTH

Tim

OK thanks. I hate some of you guys as I really need to stop buying so many games... [8|]
papajack

Post by papajack »

I was expecting $29.90 for this game ....now have to step back and think for a while ..
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Yeah, I thought the game would start out at $30 to be honest. However it's a very well done game and I really can't imagine how patches could improve it, unless *gets on soapbox* there was a little more buildup and suspense to battle resolution. By that I mean let's see the die rolls for each unit to hit. What I miss about boardgames is the die rolls, there was suspense in rolling the die and getting a lucky "6" (or whatever). What I don't miss about boardgames is the rules lawyering and interpretation aspect.

At least in this game there is tactical decision making going on in terms of who to commit and who to remove. Just needs some rolling dice [;)]
jomni

Post by jomni »

I think the price is high. I get iPhone games like Neuroshima Hex and Samurai (single player with challenging AI (I never win so far), lots of randomness, and vast replayability, short to long gameplay) for much less (< $3).  These are no brainers and have similar qualities to this game (except the historical aspect). I guess the App Store spoiled the market already. Maybe this will make a good iPhone app and generate even more sales. Hint Hint.

My price point for this game would be $20. When you have too may games in your playlist (like me) it's time to be choosy. I guess their timing wasn't good. And also a lot are going to be sucked into Civ 5 from now on.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: jomni

I'm playing too much Microsoft Flight Sim lately (2 hour flights every night) and ignoring all games except the ones with ongonig PBEM matches.  Looks like a pass to me.  As for the graphics, hand-drawn is acutally more artisitc and appropriate for the theme.  It really gives you an ancient theme.

btw Jomni, where did you get your signature? I like the art.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Just found it off the net.
Google for "Strike Witches" but that's a differnt anime with similar "girls with WWII plane parts" theme.

The whole set with U.S., British and German planes is in the link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2560432&mpage=3#

Warning: some nudity.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Just found it off the net.
Google for "Strike Witches" but that's a differnt anime with similar "girls with WWII plane parts" theme.

The whole set with U.S., British and German planes is in the link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2560432&mpage=3#

Warning: some nudity.
thxs
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

I just purchased but have not yet played. Yet I have read AAR's and the initial impressions here and have perused my purchase. I simply can not understand how anyone could possibly claim that a game of this one's obvious quality is over priced at $40.00. Should the game be half-price because you can not play Rome (something the game was not designed to let you do?) Is the game overpriced compared to Elemental, BFTB, HOI3, EUROME? Does any of these other games delilver the "bang for the buck" that a Civilization game does? I really don't understand the position that this particular game is "too expensive." And I think the statement is unfair.

Oh, and jomni:

I hate the little Japanese girls.
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Johnnie
I simply can not understand how anyone could possibly claim that a game of this one's obvious quality is over priced at $40.00.

If a person has unlimited money and time to play just about any game then I'm pretty sure the $40 dollars justify the Hannibal based on it's quality alone. And I'm pretty sure games are priced in this view to be fair.

But in reality, we all have constraints in money and time and we have to make a value assessment. So the value judgement is dependent on a person's situation and they may be different between individuals. But a lower priced game would surely help in making the 'buy' decision because it solves the money problem (what's left is the time). As for me, I don't have time to play more games even if this is good and worth $40. So I fear that it will just be a wasted investment.

I'm pretty sure that this is a good game. I just have to stop myself from buying too much and not playing them. I think a lot of people are in the same situation. Lots of good games to play but so little time.
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Well Johnnie add me to the "This game is overpriced" group. $40 for this miniscule module is just too much. This is something you would add to a huge game like a Total War or Civilization as an Expansion not something of it's own for $40. It's a $20 game at most period. I can get four board games like this from Decision Games for $40 wiith colorful box art as well as unit counters and maps and even a printed manual. So, no sorry this game isn't worth 40 bucks. This seems to be a pattern with Matrixgames lately overpricing their new releases. 80 bucks for BftB and now this. I didn't even check that 4x space game how much was it? $50 or $60 if it was that is too much also.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

I want to buy, but the price is just too high on a limited budget.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Well Johnnie add me to the "This game is overpriced" group. $40 for this miniscule module is just too much. This is something you would add to a huge game like a Total War or Civilization as an Expansion not something of it's own for $40. It's a $20 game at most period. I can get four board games like this from Decision Games for $40 wiith colorful box art as well as unit counters and maps and even a printed manual. So, no sorry this game isn't worth 40 bucks. This seems to be a pattern with Matrixgames lately overpricing their new releases. 80 bucks for BftB and now this. I didn't even check that 4x space game how much was it? $50 or $60 if it was that is too much also.

I guess their programmers would like to eat too ... knocking out a whole heap of code is a hell of a lot harder and labour intensive than sending some designs to a Chinese manufacturer to be printed. Huge software houses can keep the prices reasonable with economies of scale. This isn't the case here... If your looking for a bargain look elsewhere cause niche products and markets are always going to be more than a few cheese burgers ... I'm not saying that we should be lemmings... if the game is quality/challenging (which I have no idea about) then it is worth the price of entry.

$20 you're having a laugh!

Otherwise we will see the end of PC wargaming and quality strategy games for the dumbed down offering from mainstream retailers.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Relative it is, certainly. I couldn't give a rat's arse about Civ 5 (I barely played 4, and initial reports say the game isn't quite as rosy as everybody hoped, anyway) but I could also spend (and have indeed spent) the same money on Minecraft, Evochron Mercenary and Amnesia, and still have enough left over for a pizza. All three are, IMHO, at the very peak of PC gaming quality in their respective areas, allowing for a few 'indie' production values. I defy anyone to find any game with more longevity than Minecraft, and it's still in alpha!

All that aside though, I appreciate few Matrix games has as broad appeal as any of those. What surprises me is the price of this one compared with other Matrix titles, of which I have more than a few not yet 'played out'.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I agree with those saying that $40 is not too much to ask for a game like this. There's well more than $40 in terms of bang for the buck here and the quality is top notch, but I understand that if you haven't played the game, you can't be expected to believe me. If you're on the fence only because of price, please check back when the demo is released. I believe it will convince you that this is good value for the money.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”