WitM

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sneer

WitM

Post by Sneer »

any chance there is a mod for AE similar to Freeman's Witm ?
Misconduct

RE: WitM

Post by Misconduct »

Probably not, I asked about WITM a few times and there didn't seem to be enough interest.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
janh

Post by janh »

Mediterranean alone may perhaps not generate enough interest.  But if one could turn this baby into a War in Europe, with the full Atlantic playground and landwarfare to the Ural and North Africa, then at least I would be very enthusiastic.  But I am not sure whether the land-warfare model, the air and supply routines, and most of all, AI would be capable of modeling the other half of the world. 

There is the new WiR coming up, but it seems really narrowed down to pushing division counters around in Russia, with no naval component, static withdrawal plans that are based on history (and naturally a player will generate its own history, so the static withdrawals take the whole front and actions completely out of the context of the big picture -- quite sure there won't be a D-Day exactly on 6/44 if Germany would control the initiative until spring 44, for example), no possibilities to change R&D or production, and even the old, simple but nice things like shuffling troops to and fro the additional western fronts, or the air battle over Germany gone.  But instead, it will hopefully have a very mean AI (but that will remain to be seen).  Hopefully they'll add the missing stuff in patches, or addons.

I think WITP is much better in this regard, 100% for the Japanese, since even production is dependent on the big picture.  Slightly less so for the allied side, since if things would go wrong big time in early 1942, then likely the US production should be increased, or RN withdrawals shouldn't happen  (i.e. the allied side is isolated a bit from the big picture).

I wonder if a team would form that would take up the idea of WiE, whether matrix would also allow them to access and develop the engine further, similar as WITP->WITP:AE.  Maybe then one could develop an engine that could run the WITP:AE map and scenarios, as well as the European ones, and one could also introduce some improvements to AI, and the scripting language?  Sounds like a very ambitious idea, but obviously any player that catches the interest in this huge game must already be quite ambitious...
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

this engine is not suitable for war in europe  IMO
however war in mediteran would be nice to play
much lighter / shorter campaign than pacific one
with shortfalls of materials on both sides in early stages
and something new :)

if not mod ... maybe it is an idea for Matrix to do it like Plan orange on reworked witp engine ?

I spent so much time in witp pbem that i dont see myself now playing more detailed AE in pbe due to time limits
searching what else could be done with this absolutely best wargame :)

Dili

Post by Dili »

There are no map tools to edit a WITM, there are also other issues, like land combat, aerial mining, spec ops, frogmen and chariot mini submarines and "almost suicide" explosive boats..
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

I wonder how the WiTP engine would work with a European land battle, say, like France 1940 or 1944, Bulge, Kursk or Moscow 1941?

Chris
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
Dali

Post by Dali »

AD derhexer

Is available (though the old witp) mode from the Mediterranean and the mode of the Eastern Front.
Just have to just play .....
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

why do you want to model eastern front with WiR finshing development ????

HerzKaraya

Post by HerzKaraya »

Why would you like to play "Storm over the Pacific" or "War plan Pacific" if you have WitP-AE??? [:D]

Different approaches make different games and experiences even on the same matter.

I, for example, will miss pilots in WiE - the abstraction is a step back in my opinion.
Vista, suerte y al toro!
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

agreed
but still mediterran alone would be a nice small camapign

War in the Europe is ...in my opinion possible on witp-ae engine ...but with some engine changes - similar to war plan orange made of witp

i don't need to see land combat in russia in such game
supply level in russia should affect VP - that's all
abandoning supplying russia should provide russia lost effect .... boost to axis industrial strenght and release troops / planes to west ....
all iof this can be quite easily coded

but such change is not possible on mod level
so get signs under petition to matrix and prey :)
janh

Post by janh »

ORIGINAL: Sneer
why do you want to model eastern front with WiR finshing development ????

See my post above. WiR has a very narrow focus on the Russian Front at the divisional level, whereas the WiTP-AE engine with a production system, R&D, detailed air combat model, a naval component etc etc. The WITP-AE engine appears to have more breath, and depth, but might (if the WiR developers succeed) have a weaker AI.
starsis1

Post by starsis1 »

How about WitN - Norway '40?
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

very short scenario .... but ...why not 
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

AD derhexer

Is available (though the old witp) mode from the Mediterranean and the mode of the Eastern Front.
Just have to just play .....

Are the WiTM and WiRussia PBEM or will the AIs work?

Thanks
Chris
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”