Port of MapMod for JTCS? (2d graphics)

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

verte

Port of MapMod for JTCS? (2d graphics)

Post by verte »

I wonder, why there is no MapMod port to JTCS? You know MapMod certainly - http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/
It is a graphics modification for panzer campaigns, which have very similar graphics structure to JCTS. I tried to change JTCS terrain graphics to MapMod, and it is quite simple, just takes some time (but the effect looks great!). The biggest problem is with nato-tiles, they have other structure than in panzer campaigns, so it demands some work - but the nato-tiles in JCTS are really horrible, and overall graphics, compared to MapMod, is - forgive me - shitty.

It would certainly throw some (that a small word for such a great graphics) life in this old game.
verte

RE: Port of MapMod for JTCS? (2d graphics)

Post by verte »

As always, nobody to help. You lazy lazybones. Look:

Its JTCS. Nice, eh?
verte

Post by verte »

So here you have - a partly done port of MapMod to JTCS - its for East Front:

http://www.sendspace.pl/file/8d16c324a2b643256a1b2f6
(click on "pobierz" in left-down corner)

I hope that someone will make it even better.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

An interesting look, verte.

Yes, it is rather easy to modify the graphics in the Campaigns Series. One just needs the time.

Good luck!!

Jason Petho
gre81

Post by gre81 »

Looks great.  I have this installed for PZC.  Would like to have it for this game as well.
htuna

Post by htuna »

Excellent job Verte, this is top notch!
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

And from the other side of the hill so to speak, swings and roundabouts.
Pity I had to resize this three times to 200kb it's lost it's sharpness.

Attachments
Korea.jpg
Korea.jpg (190.34 KiB) Viewed 459 times
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

To explain the pic above is from HPSSIMS Squad Battles The Korean War using the hexes from the MATRIX version of John Tiller's Campaign Series.

Just to point out that IMO the JTCS offers a better level of colours over the various hex contour levels.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

I do not like those graphics.
One reason I do not play either PzC or SB.

I hope Jason sticks to classic CS with just pinches of improvement.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

I do not like those graphics.
One reason I do not play either PzC or SB.

I hope Jason sticks to classic CS with just pinches of improvement.

RR

Squire use whatever graphics you wish.

I used to play this game years ago, had a lotta fun, then moved up a level to HPSSIMS Panzer Campaigns, again a lotta fun PBEM campaign games, lot's of really good opponents from around the world.
Did buy JTCS from Matrix to show my appreciation but was also into PBEM/WitP.
But since WitP/AE was released I just dabble with graphics between turns, however when WitE comes out hopefully this year my gaming card will be full.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

It's all good, my friend. [;)]
I just expressed my opinion.
Thanks for letting me have it. [8D]

I just do not think that those graphics fit CS. But, I am viewing it from the experience of years of playing, being comfortable with it, and not liking major changes that effect the game or how it looks.

Maybe Mr. Tiller will produce the game using his graphics that you can find visually appealing, when his new platoon combat games are produced?
I just hope that Matrix will not jump on the suggestion to change the graphics/look of the game.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
rkfm

Post by rkfm »

Verte, looks good.

I still hope someone will tackle the 3D terrain graphics someday.

Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Mapmod is Amazing, one of the finests in PzC modding.

There are a lot of similarities in concept between Panzer campaigns and Campaign Series. A lot.

And On the small 2d level the game is visually the same.
Mapmod is a favourite in graphics mods for PzC and if fits perfectly in the small CS 2d map.
lerugray

Post by lerugray »

Link is dead :( is there any other thread or location for this mod? It looks incredible for JTCS
athineos

Post by athineos »

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

It's all good, my friend. [;)]
I just expressed my opinion.
Thanks for letting me have it. [8D]

I just do not think that those graphics fit CS. But, I am viewing it from the experience of years of playing, being comfortable with it, and not liking major changes that effect the game or how it looks.

Maybe Mr. Tiller will produce the game using his graphics that you can find visually appealing, when his new platoon combat games are produced?
I just hope that Matrix will not jump on the suggestion to change the graphics/look of the game.

RR

I am with you RR. JTCS has the best graphics for a serious war game (NATO counters and 3D units)in addition to Battle Generator and Map/Scenario editor. I know the team are moving in the right direction forward. Just look at the improved graphics at the CS Middle East! I know the upcoming release CS Vietnam later this year is going to look and play even better. It is my NO 1 game on my list to play this year.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Mr. athineos, That makes one of you. I do not like the look, or play, of ME. I thought the scenarios were a mess of unbalanced rushed junk to make the game have some scenarios when it came out. Owned it for a minute and then mailed it off to the first person who wanted a copy for free. I did not even charge for shipping. I was just glad to be rid of it.
My confidence in the team waned at that point and dropped further as I learned of how they are going to cut up and release the "new" Campaign Series.
At that point it will no longer be the Campaign Series. Nor should it ever be referred to as the Campaign Series.

Happy New Year.

RR

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”