AAR Jon vs Soviet AI 41

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

PyleDriver

RE: AAR Jon vs Soviet AI 41

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 pocket losses...I attacked the pockets first to see how much I trapped. This is before any attacks forward...

Attachments
pocketlosses.jpg
pocketlosses.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 DAR...The forming 2nd Army...2nd Army is frozen until turn 3, I cant wait. Guderian's right flank needs to be guarded. The circle in the rear is frozen, the corps in the middle was formed, and the corps at the front was transfered from 4th Army...

Attachments
2ndarmy.jpg
2ndarmy.jpg (164.92 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 DAR...Hoths left is now what I'm looking at... XXIII corps has a new leader, Model. 14th MD with 100st Flm PzB attached and was the lead element. 900th Lehr attached and formed a strong corps. Their mission, along with 9th Army, swat the units that pop up between 16th Army and 3rd PzG...Oh. 60th MD is going to be released from Germany on turn 4, and will be attached to Model...

Attachments
Model.jpg
Model.jpg (131.65 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 north...4th PzG agian fans out clearing routes, 18th Army does cleanup, and 16th Army presses NE. 9th Army broke contact and force marches...

Attachments
T2north.jpg
T2north.jpg (157.35 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 center...Infantry is the big question in the advance. 4th Army will be weeks before they help. Plans were made for the flanks with 2nd and 9th armys. Getting a bridgehead over the Dnepr is the goal now....

Attachments
T2center.jpg
T2center.jpg (167.56 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
SGHunt

Post by SGHunt »

Jon - how do you keep it all so neat and tidy?   Not only have you completely swept your rear areas, whilst making very good miles with your lead elements, you also have operational reserves that will be able to clear up any counters out of the marshes or from the woods NW of Vitebsk (and move quickly to support the panzers as they move on Mogilev and Vitebsk).   Remind me not to play you!

S
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Jon..what level are you playing on?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Andy I'm playing on normal this time. I wanted to see how effective I could do on turn one (for a future PBEM). I know Joel frowns on it but it doesn't inpair the AI. I want to send losses in this test without beefed up defence factors the AI creates. Its bad enough the AI can escape out of every crack it has with MP's that don't exsist...So, I'm playing on normal and having fun...lol...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T2 South...I now have 4 PzC's at the front. The going is tough. I'm not sure what army I want to attach XXXXVI PzC to, but it needs to be done next turn. I'm at the extent of my C&C with 2nd PzG. It will cost me 28 AP's, and I spent all I had appointing Model and getting 2nd Army organized...
On another note, Joel wanted me to explain that a player with my experence shouldn't be playing on "normal" setting and do a public AAR. So please understand I make things look easy, it's not. I spend alot of time before I even make a move, hell I even dream about this game in my sleep. It's funny I wake up booting up the computer while the coffee brews. It's that bad, and I've been testing this game over 2 years...

Attachments
T2south.jpg
T2south.jpg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

As Jon said, experienced players that want a challenge should not play on Normal level. Jon has been playing this game for over 2 years now and has probably made these first Barbarossa turns 100+ times now. The game has changed, rules have changed, and the AI has changed, but Jon's changed with them and basically he's light years ahead of the AI. We provide 5 play levels. At the normal level (which is what PBEM players should play), the AI is given only a very few intrinsic advantages that we felt were justified (to make up for basic things it just can't do like a human player) in order to keep it at a good level to entertain new players. We think Challenging level, which gives the computer some morale, supply, transportation, administrative and construction advantages is for the player that's learned the basics and wants more of a challenge. Any of the 5 different kinds of help for the AI can be individually set. The Hard level is expected to be a challenge for experienced players like Jon. The Impossible level is intended to make it very difficult for even the best player to win. The other play level is Easy, which gives the player advantages and is only intended for a player just starting out that wants to win while they are learning the rules. In the old SSI days we generally had 4 play levels (Easy, Normal, Challenging and Hard), and I don't know of any game where an AI could provide any kind of challenge to an experienced player unless set to Challenging or Hard.

As Gary likes to say, we provide a range of options so everyone can find what they are looking for. From beginner to experienced player we have something that will challenge you. If you want to crush the AI, you have that choice.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

Well, I would like to play the game with the AI as historically as possible, would that be "Normal" game play?
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus

Well, I would like to play the game with the AI as historically as possible, would that be "Normal" game play?

I guess that depends on how you define historical. If you want pretty close to historical outcomes, then it would be based on your experience level. Joel pretty much covered that. If you want neither side to have any advantages as far as supply, morale, etc., then normal would be the way to go. That is what the tester's so far go with for a pbem game. While difficulty levels are primarily for games against the ai, you could tailor the game to give one human player or the other a handicap if you chose to do so.

Andy
Captain B

Post by Captain B »

Jon,

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that wakes up dreaming about the game I'm currently playing. Heck, I sometimes get up early on vacation and get in a turn or two while the family is snug in bed...and while my coffee brews.

With 46th PzC, Any thoughts attaching them to one of the Infantry armies that has a few mech divisions in them and making a mini-PzG out of that army? Kind of a spearhead group for that infantry army?
There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Sorry for the delay, once agian I had to wait for updates to the AI I sent. I will say Gary has worked very hard as all us testers send saves weekly...

T3 north...XXXXI PzC cleared the Baltic States, rail repair is quick as it has western rail gauge...Pskov region has formed defences and LVI PzC does short attacks and waits for more support.

Attachments
T3north.jpg
T3north.jpg (150.33 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T3 center...9th Army is now on Hoths left and allows 3rd PzG to press east. Guderian gains a small bridgeheads over the Dnper. 2nd and 4th Armies are force marching...

Attachments
T3center.jpg
T3center.jpg (170.61 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T3 south...Kleist now has 4 PzC's. He sends two to gain bridgeheads over the Sluch River and fans two south to join the front with the Romanians...

Attachments
T3south.jpg
T3south.jpg (173.35 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T4 north...Estonia is tough to clear. XXXXI PzC split as the 36th MD hit across the land bridge between the lakes. Manstein's LVI PzC still presses around Pskov as 16th Army arrives at the front to support the next thrust...AGN was sent a division last week and now Reinhards corps of three divisions are entrained....Another note Models XXIII corp sacked the rear and 60th MD is soon to arrive...Do you guys see the beauty of getting 9th Army their quick, its good huh...

Attachments
T4north.jpg
T4north.jpg (150.42 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

T4 center...Hoth trapped another 50k, but very little advance was made. Two new divisions are ariving for his command... Guderian rushed every unit he could across the Dnepr, however just getting across a major river absorbs all your MP's... Even though their force marching 4th and 2nd Armys are well off the front...

Attachments
T4center.jpg
T4center.jpg (168.8 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
lbadal99

Post by lbadal99 »

One of the tabs I see in the toolbars has an airplane with a parachute.  is that for dropping supplies or dropping paratroopers or both?  If you can drop paratroopers lets say to sieze a ky junction orbridge, do you need a parchute division to be ready for either the German or Russian Player?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Ibadal99, post that question in Jim's (Jaw) Q&A, him or others will answer it there...They check it all the time and know most of the P's and Q's...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

Return to “After Action Reports”